Yes, Yet another light thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattybain

I know what you are thinking but I need some help!

I currently use a halfords special 5 LED 3 Lux light which is okay, it's fairly bright and up to a couple of weeks ago I was happy with it.

Then I saw my Nemsis (the guy I see twice a day, every day who never acknowledges me) and I notice that he has got a new light and it is seriously bright. It's so bright that I thought he was a motorbike at first.

Now that's got to be good for getting noticed, hasn't it?

But looking into it there are so many different options that my head hurts :laugh:

My preference is for a all in one unit such as a Maxx D - Daddy, not sure why but having a seperate battery pack just seems messy. Are there any advantages to this set up?

I am also unsure as to how many lumens I should go for, my ride is predominately on street lit roads although in 2 places most of the lights don't work and the trees obscur most of the light anyway!!

So currently I am thinking of a Exposure Strada £210 - 480 Lumens or a Hope 1 Vision which is £75 and 240 Lumens.

I have also looked at Ay Up's and the Magic Shine but have been put off by the sperate battery pack.

So I guess my question is how many lumens do I *really* need or is it a case of you can never have too many and f*** nevermind the drivers retinas?

Bristol Dave

Wow, I've never thought about it like that. I just go for a bright light (a MiNewt) and loads of hi-vis kit.

The separate battery is useful as I dont have to dismantle the light and the MiNewt battery is USB chargeable, which I find useful.

Alternately you could engage your nemesis in conversation to find out what he has. You could make a new cycling buddy!

BD

OP
OP
M

mattybain

Bristol Dave said:
Wow, I've never thought about it like that. I just go for a bright light (a MiNewt) and loads of hi-vis kit.

The separate battery is useful as I dont have to dismantle the light and the MiNewt battery is USB chargeable, which I find useful.

Alternately you could engage your nemesis in conversation to find out what he has. You could make a new cycling buddy!

BD

That's a good point, I didn't think about the ease of recharging. I guess that means you don't worry about knocking the main lamp. Also the USB charging would be a god send. Will look into the MiNewt.

Re the nemesis, I have tried but he cycles in the opposite direction and is quite fast. For some reason I never seem to catch him stopped at lights!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'd be very tempted by the Hope 1 - quite a lot of my friends have this light and rate it highly. I have an Exposure MaxxD, it's a super light and very well engineered. Works brilliantly and has perhaps the best handlebar mounting I've ever come across.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got 2 x Hope 1's and a Knog Toad as a flashy. The Hopes are very versatile - 4 power modes and a flash. AA batteries as well - so you can cary spare rechargeables. Run times are very good - I get about a week on a charge using constant and flashing mode - about an hour a day. Real test of run times is coming up shortly, but it's good.

Low mode is darn bright. I run on medium which is enough to make cars move out of the way - i.e. think it's a motorbike... High and mad mode, is eye searing.

I'd recommed good lights/torches as they've certainly saved my bacon this week with poor light levels - you just see drivers stop, think 'what'.. then think about pulling out.

OP
OP
M

mattybain

fossyant said:
I've got 2 x Hope 1's and a Knog Toad as a flashy. The Hopes are very versatile - 4 power modes and a flash. AA batteries as well - so you can cary spare rechargeables. Run times are very good - I get about a week on a charge using constant and flashing mode - about an hour a day. Real test of run times is coming up shortly, but it's good.

Low mode is darn bright. I run on medium which is enough to make cars move out of the way - i.e. think it's a motorbike... High and mad mode, is eye searing.

I'd recommed good lights/torches as they've certainly saved my bacon this week with poor light levels - you just see drivers stop, think 'what'.. then think about pulling out.

Think I will go with a Hope 1, they are pretty cheap and as you say take AA batteries so you can always carry spares. They certainly sound bright enough!!

Thanks for the advice.

J4CKO

Hope Vision 2 here after a couple of disintegrating CatEye Singleshot Plus's, its great.

mark i

I went the limicycle route. You use standard 12V halogen bulbs, so you can select your power & illumination cone. The illumination ring is apparently quite odd to look at and so works at getting attention. I cycle around 7 of my 15 miles home without streetlighting so I have 2. 1 is for in town along with the legal BS battery lamp. The second lumicycle is turned on as my "main beam" for along the lanes.

Slim

Über Member
Fenix PD30 on the front. Just got another with a red diffuser for the rear - should give really good side visibility..

220 lumens for under £50. They use rechargeable CR123 batteries. The front one went through last winter without a hitch.

nosherduke996

Just got a Luu light from on-one for mountainbiking at night, used it last night and it will last 4 hrs on max which is 900 lumens.Great price at 170 pounds and well impressed.

Top Bottom