Yes you've guessed it another what bike for me thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Well i've gone down the same route as many before me, went out and bought a MTB, found that i'm riding more on the road than off, changed the tyres for a more road friendly tyre and now realised that i need(want!) a road bike. But heres the thing, i suffer with lower back problems, nothing too major but it can have me laid up off of work once or twice a year, has been like it for the last 15 years or so, (20 years working for Royal Mail doesn't help) although since i have been riding my MTB i have noticed my back doesn't feel as stiff any more when i've been out for a ride. Its my 40th later on this year and my family have kindly said they will all chip in and give me some £ for/towards a new bike. I did have my heart set on a Specialized Sirrus expert or hopefully the pro, but when i was in my LBS the other day i sat on a Roubaix elite triple, and was surprised just how comfortable the seating position was(o.k i only sat on it and would need to ride one for a weekend to get a proper feel of it) and now i'm more confused than ever! I really don't know what to do. Plus a full carbon bike as a first road bike? Am i looking at spending to much, does a full carbon bike ride different to an ali/carbon fork bike? What should i be looking out for? I'd like a bike i'm going to be comfortable riding for long periods at a time rather than an out and out racer. Would you say a road bike over the sirrus every time? Or would the Sirrus cater more for my needs. I'm more confused than when i started looking:blush:

Thanks

Jay

If you can afford the Robaix and like it better go for it :becool: If you bought the sirrus (a good bike btw) you'll only be wishing you'd went for drops in the long run (see the amount of post in the beginner thread).

Norm

If you are concerned about the step to the Roubaix, the Secteur is the same frame geometry without the carbon frame. Ianrauk has a Rouby and a Secteur, he might be able to help on the exact differences in feel.

The top end Secteur Comp has carbon forks and seat stays with the Zertz inserts in the forks, although it's £300 more than the Secteur Elite which offers, IMO, better value for money.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Norm said:
If you are concerned about the step to the Roubaix, the Secteur is the same frame geometry without the carbon frame. Ianrauk has a Rouby and a Secteur, he might be able to help on the exact differences in feel.

The top end Secteur Comp has carbon forks and seat stays with the Zertz inserts in the forks, although it's £300 more than the Secteur Elite which offers, IMO, better value for money.

The Secteur Comp is a lovely looking bike Norm, that reminds me of a question i forgot to ask im my original post... The top end of one model of bike i.e the Secteur Comp is in the same sort of price bracket as an entry level of a different model i.e roubaix, which ones better?

nosherduke996

I also was concerned that i had back problems. Been riding just over a year now and my back has never been better in the last 15 years or so. Also im 55 years old so any injury takes time now !

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

So it looks like my back will be o.k riding drop bars....hmmm. Next decision then is whether it's a full carbon or ali/carbon fork. I do like the look of the secteur, looks like a very well put together bike.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd get an ultra cheapy second hand bike and see if the back gets on with it.

Also consider the size of the bike and whether you want the seat way above the bars.

Mark_Robson

I bought my first road bike last Autumn after many years of riding a MTB and like yourself I had concerns about whether I would be able to cope with the low position.
Many years ago I fractured my C3 in a mining accident and every few years I sneeze or twist the wrong way and slip a disk in my lower back.
BUT the good news is that after a few initial aches and pains I have adapted well to a road bike. One thing I decided from the start though was to buy a larger frame and flip the stem to keep the handlebars relatively high. The pics in this thread give an idea of the set up.
https://www.cyclechat.net/

BTW the road bike has done wonders for my back. It seems to have been far more effective than physio.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The Roubaix is certainly designed to soak up the road harshness.
But if you are looking up to that price range - have you thought about Titanium?

Said to be even more long-distance comfortable than Carbon (I've no personal experience of either) and lasts for ever.

Maybe a Van Nicholas Euros, or Mistral, or even a Yukon?

potsy

Rambler
porkypete said:
The Roubaix is certainly designed to soak up the road harshness.
But if you are looking up to that price range - have you thought about Titanium?

Said to be even more long-distance comfortable than Carbon (I've no personal experience of either) and lasts for ever.

Maybe a Van Nicholas Euros, or Mistral, or even a Yukon?
Ain't it great spending other peoples money:biggrin:
Whichever you go for it's going to be a seriously nice bike,would be a shame if your back can't get on with it,can you not borrrow a friends dropbar bike for a day or 2?

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike