Yesterday's rain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Were you out in it?

I was ... my f*ck! I might as well have jumped in the River Meon! (my local river) ... everything was wringing wet, including all the things I'd put in a plastic bag in the middle of my backpack to stop them from getting wet.

I took off my waterproofs because they were actually making things worse.

At one point I had to go at 10 mph downhill with the anchors on because I actually couldn't see.

Lucky I was coming home from an evening ride and not going out ...

According to the news this morning, that particular rainstorm brought as much rain in an hour as we normally see in a month ... and I was in it!

scouserinlondon

XmisterIS said:
Were you out in it?

I was ... my f*ck! I might as well have jumped in the River Meon! (my local river) ... everything was wringing wet, including all the things I'd put in a plastic bag in the middle of my backpack to stop them from getting wet.

I took off my waterproofs because they were actually making things worse.

At one point I had to go at 10 mph downhill with the anchors on because I actually couldn't see.

Lucky I was coming home from an evening ride and not going out ...

According to the news this morning, that particular rainstorm brought as much rain in an hour as we normally see in a month ... and I was in it!
Got my first proper soaking last night. It rained in various levels of torrent from work to home, with a particular cloud burst resulting in me waiting under a railway bridge for five mins and having to put lights on at 17.15 in July.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
One good thing though was that we stopped and saw a complete double-rainbow, you could see all the colours and both bows were strong!

I wish I had had my camera - two complete rainbows over the forest with the railway viaduct and the river Hamble running in front of them.

Mr Pig

Yeah, it was bouncing! I got a text from my wife ten minutes before I finished work saying she was just around the corner so would pick me up. I went and looked out the door and the sky was black but it hadn't started raining. I thought about risking it but I'm glad I didn't, I would've been drenched.

Got a laugh in the car though. Rain was drumming off the roof, rivers running down the road and one of the kids said "Why couldn't it do this on the Orange Walk on Saturday" :0) You might not know but this Saturday is the big get together thing where hundreds of Orange bands and their knuckle-dragging hangers-on all gather to...gather. And this year it's in Airdrie :0( It's unbelievable. All the roads get shut off and the town is brought to a stand still as these apes march around cheering at each other and scowling at everyone else. Torrential rain on Saturday would be excellent :0)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Raining this am - fairly heavy - lot's of flooded roads - at one point I jumped on the pavement as it was pretty deep - not usually a problem, but the water was black....ergh....

Yesterday evening was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The rivers rushing out of side streets were deeper than my axles and each pedal revolution dipped my feet in it.
At one point the rain felt like hail and for once I was thankful I was wearing my peaked helmet.

Was grinning like an idiot the whole journey home...but maybe there is something wrong with me. :laugh:

Plax

Guru
It was fine for me going home (but later that evening it poured it down). I got drenched coming in to work yesterday as I stupidly decided that I didn't need any waterproofs on. My clothes still weren't dry by home time!
This morning it was awful again, but I had the sense to put my waterproofs on and got into work relatively dry. Jolly good fun though hey! I enjoy cycling in the rain when its not freezing cold and blowing a gale.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I got a right good soaking on the way home last Friday, and then again on the way in this morning. It was lovely ! (Wish I had disc brakes on the road bike though; I really miss the unimpeded stopping power my MTB had in all weathers).

The only downside to the rain is that the summer cyclists have abandoned their bikes and they're taking up too many of the stands used by regular commuters. Someone's had their Specialized Globe chained to MY spot for over a week now... I've had that spot for 3 years !!! Didn't they know that ?!!! :laugh: :sad:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Once I've given up and got soaked it gets funnier... only trouble I have is potholes as I can't see them... nearly broke my wrists last time.

JamesM

XmisterIS said:
One good thing though was that we stopped and saw a complete double-rainbow, you could see all the colours and both bows were strong!

I wish I had had my camera - two complete rainbows over the forest with the railway viaduct and the river Hamble running in front of them.
No you don't - it would have been ruined!!!

Bman

Guru
Interesting show of lights and sound (Thunder and Lightning) this afternoon here in Herts....

First pic is rainfall, second is lightning strikes :smile:

Mr Pig said:
The novelty wears off when you need to strip your hubs and replace, clean, re-lubricate half your bike!

Just finished re-cleaning and re-lubing so I get your point...do you find that this weather happens every time you clean and lube as I did at the weekend - I am sure I caused all this weather!

Top Bottom