Yet another back pain topic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ch3

The last couple of weeks, I do a little bit of training by going up and down the high gate hill 4-5 times. So I've notice while I am cycling up hills and apply loads of pressure on the pedals, my lower back starts the ache. I usually go all the way up without standing on the pedals but sometimes I have to stand in order to put more effort, or get rid of the pain. The pain goes away after I stop.

Do you think it's mainly because I need more exercise, or something to do with how my bike is set up? I believe I have got the saddle at the right height, but I am not sure if it is set correctly on the horizontal axis. What about the cleats on my shoes? At the moment I've got them on the front holes. I read on their manual that the back holes, the ones closer to the foot ball, is for more comfort. Will that do it?

I know it's a common topic on the forum. I did some search on it, but didn't find exactly what I described. Point me to a similar post if there is any, or to any other resources about setting up the bike correctly.

Thanks and good night!

peanut

if your cleats were not in the correct position (centre of the ball of your foot) you would indoubtably have noticed it before now. It sounds like your back is complaining about the unacustomed exercise you are giving it by hill climbing reps.

If your stomach muscles are weak then most of the work is being done by your back muscles which are not intended to take that loading. You might try to strengthen your core muscle groups so that your trunk weight is not being carried by your back muscles. ie situps crunches etc

Also look at your position on the bike . Are you too far back ? or being stretched too much ?experiment with your saddle position and stem height. Consider changing the length of your stem or seatpost setback if necessary to get an optimum position.Also check your saddle height . I recently found my seatpost had slipped down 10mm :biggrin:

Top Bottom