(Yet another?) Best bike for commuting thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dobby

Just about to move to a new office with showers and everything....and want to start commuting to work. Ride is about 8-10 miles each way, mainly on road, but some towpath. Uphill on the way back. My previous commuting experience is that it was hard work on my MTB (albeit a poorly maintained 23 year old Shogun Trailbreaker) and quicker but less comfortable on the old road bike (10 year old Saracen Morzine). Bearing this in mind, and since I want the bike to take a bit of throwing around (that'll be going up and down kerbs, then), I was thinking of something like a Specialized Crosstrail Sports. Hoping to spend about £500-600 (excl. rack, mudguards and locks). Any suggestions on alternatives for similar price?

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
Sounds like a Cyclocross bike will be right up your alley :smile:

simon.r

Person
Is this one of those threads where everyone recommends their own bike?^_^

Over budget admittedly, but other than that it could have been made to meet your requirements:

On-One Pompetamine

I'm biased, I find that On-Ones fit me very well - I think that should be one your main criteria, what feels right when you're riding it. I know stems and seatposts can be changed, but there's no substitute for having the right frame geometry IMO.http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPALF/on_one_pompetamine_alfine

OP
OP
D

Dobby

Thanks, all. Simon.r, I think that you are right. The fit will be key, especially given that I am rather short (5' 7'') with v short legs (28" inside leg) - shaped more like Dobby than I'd like to be (my ears and eyes are smaller, though).

Norm

I'm not going to recommend my bike - although it's a Tricross and would be spot on. :biggrin:

I'm going to recommend a Trek Soho Deluxe, with flat bars, fat tyres, hub gears, rack & panniers.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is this one of those threads where everyone recommends their own bike?^_^

May I point the right honourable forum member to my signature......

I think the OP is looking for something rigid with agressive/sporty geometry and flat bars over drops. I am still to be convinced of the merits of drop bars for commuting or touring despite buying a nice road bike with drops last summer. As for hopping up and down kerbs, why not? It's a nice skill to possess and it's good to know you can be riding along in the road one moment and be riding 12" to your left safely on the kerb out of the way of an errant motorist the next.

Sobrique

Within a similar budget, (and commute distance) I've been recommended (and bought) a cube LTD CLS pro. Primary reason was probably because I liked the idea of hydraulic disk brakes.
£500 ish. (You might get a discount, I used cycle to work, with a £600 voucher - so I had some spare for accessories).

In addition, I felt I needed:
- Helmet (£40)
- Mudguards (£30)
- Lights (£20 for a pair, plus a £30 'really bright one' off eBay)
- High vis vest (£5)
- Pump (£10ish?)
- Lock (£10ish?)
- Puncture repair kit.

However the best piece of advice I got, was talk to your lcocal bike shop - because they know the terrain as well as anyone might. Some places are 'good' for road bikes, others MUCH less so :smile:.

Top Bottom