Yet Another Carlton Corsa!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
After trying in vain for some time to find a Carlton Corsa the right size for me, I managed to find one that was only just too big. It's virtually identical to my first "proper" bike that I had as a teenager (though that one was badly spray painted blue). "Fat Larry" is a 1974 version, and had been stored in a garage for over 30 years by his original owner. Everything is in pretty good condition, and amazingly the seat post and stem weren't even slightly stuck. After eventually tracking down the correct freewheel tool I even managed to remove the freewheel using only a spanner in a moment of girly strength :laugh: Here he is, as purchased:
FatLarry.jpg
FatLarry2.jpg
FatLarry4.jpg

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
As the old wheels were a bit manky, we'vre replaced them with a new pair of budget 27" Weinmann/Quando wheels - foolishly bought QR wheels which seem to slip in the dropouts, so will probably be replacing those shortly. As we've already got several bikes and the frame is a bit big for me, and a bit small for Chuffy, the great debate began about why exactly we'd ended up with another bike, and what were we going to use it for? The existing 5 speed and 48 tooth combination was also geared too high for me, so Chuffy got fettling.
DSCF1944.jpg
Unfortunately, the 46 tooth chainring is still overgeared for comfort, so decided to let Chuffy have his wicked way...(look away now Spokesmann!) and fettle it up as a singlespeed while we decidde whether we actually like the bike and if it actually fits either one of us. New (old) chainset:
LarryCranks.jpg

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I treated myself to a retro mileometer - only problem being that I had to fit it to the left hand fork as when it's correctly fitted on the right, it runs backwards. :rolleyes:

Larryforks2.jpg

All the polychromatic stickers are in pretty good condition:
Larrybadges.jpg

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
So far we've had a few problems, and still need to make a few changes. The bars are too narrow for Chuffy, and we will probably replace the levers and hoods with some modern Cane Creek ones that still fit the style, but are more comfortable. The saddle is also too far forwards, so a seatpost with some layback is probably required.

The rear brake assembly came undone last time we went out, but luckily no harm done, and the brakes seem to work well (new Koolstop Continental pads and new cables). It does seem to take quite a bit of effort to pedal, so I think the bottom bracket might be on the way out - we'll see. I also need to give it a thorough clean.

My current prediction is that Chuffy will swap everything round and decide he doesn't like riding it, at which point I'll swap everything back and use it as a 5 speed commuter (though maybe with a smaller chainring on the front - if the BB is on the way out I might indulge in a nice new Andel as they look the part.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Lovely old bike. The copper colour wasn't so common as far as I can tell. Nice imichrome graphics too!

Not sure about that single speed fixie nonsesne though!!
laugh.gif

Good to see an old Ever Ready Reargaurd II light.

Id shove a Huet Svelto 2000 back on... that's me thought!

Keep the pictures coming.

Lovely old bike. The copper colour wasn't so common as far as I can tell. Nice imichrome graphics too!

Not sure about that single speed fixie nonsesne though!!
laugh.gif

Good to see an old Ever Ready Reargaurd II light.

Id shove a Huet Svelto 2000 back on... that's me thought!

Keep the pictures coming.
:biggrin: Nice bike & colour but I,m with Spokesmann "Death to all Fixie,s"convert back to 5 speed asap!Good luck with it :thumbsup:

lowrider73

I had a Carlton Corsair many years ago. Got it in 1981 and cost me £200 then, a lot of money too. But, had many happy years touring around the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales, Moors and the Borders of Scotland. Did a couple of long distance tours on it, from Newcastle to John O Groats, Harwich to Middlesbrough and a double Coast to Coast. But, I sold it about 10 years ago and wishing I had kept it now. It was a beautiful bike and now have a Dawes Kara-Kum, which now satisfied my needs for cycle-camping and more gears to boot.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Hopefully your Corsair is still going strong out there somewhere!

As soon as the Corsa is cleaned up I'll put some more pics on. We also have a new Brooks to pop on top...the Wrights saddle it came with has definitely seen better days.

Goldie

Über Member
That looks really nice. I've got a couple of bronze Corsas in the cellar that are just waiting for some sunshine and a bit of fettling. I'm waiting for replacement decals from Lloyds for one and trying to bring an incredibly battered Brooks back to life on the other. I'll stick some photos up when daylight returns...

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
That looks really nice. I've got a couple of bronze Corsas in the cellar that are just waiting for some sunshine and a bit of fettling. I'm waiting for replacement decals from Lloyds for one and trying to bring an incredibly battered Brooks back to life on the other. I'll stick some photos up when daylight returns...

Look forward to those!

Goldie

Über Member
Here we go. Apologies in advance for the total lack of any artistry in the photos - I had the camera on the "cack handed" setting...

Carlton Corsa #1, from Swadlincote in Derbyshire, waiting for new decals from Lloyds and me to make my mind up what I'm doing about the rusty rear wheel rim. This is - I think - the younger of the two:

DSC02755.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

DSC02758.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

You can see how toasted the decals have got over the years.

Corsa #2 turned up outside my LBS. There is a nasty bit of missing paint across the bottom of the bb shell and between the chainstays, where a previous owner had a mud cleaning off fail. But apart from that, it's a bobby dazzler. In the weird way of old bikes, the wheels on Corsa #1 were lovely and the ones on this one were scabby. I've put nice wheels and nice bike together now, in a slightly OCD way...

DSC02765.jpg

DSC02764.jpg

DSC02763.jpg

DSC02762.jpg

I've removed the corrosion - just needs priming and painting...

Cardiac

Über Member
I treated myself to a retro mileometer - only problem being that I had to fit it to the left hand fork as when it's correctly fitted on the right, it runs backwards. :rolleyes:
Shouldn't be necessary - IIRC the pin attached to the spoke can pass above or below the axis of the pin-wheel on the mileometer. I can't remember which is right, but you should only need to move the pin up or down the spoke to get the reading going in the right direction.

Here we go. Apologies in advance for the total lack of any artistry in the photos - I had the camera on the "cack handed" setting...

Carlton Corsa #1, from Swadlincote in Derbyshire, waiting for new decals from Lloyds and me to make my mind up what I'm doing about the rusty rear wheel rim. This is - I think - the younger of the two:

DSC02755.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

DSC02758.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

You can see how toasted the decals have got over the years.

Corsa #2 turned up outside my LBS. There is a nasty bit of missing paint across the bottom of the bb shell and between the chainstays, where a previous owner had a mud cleaning off fail. But apart from that, it's a bobby dazzler. In the weird way of old bikes, the wheels on Corsa #1 were lovely and the ones on this one were scabby. I've put nice wheels and nice bike together now, in a slightly OCD way...

DSC02765.jpg

DSC02764.jpg

DSC02763.jpg

DSC02762.jpg

I've removed the corrosion - just needs priming and painting...
:biggrin: WoW a nice pair of Carlton bikes Goldie how long have these been tucked away nice to see them back in the land of the living :biggrin: atvb Carlton Flier

Russell Allen

I had a green corsa in the 70's, got it for my birthday in 1976 . It got stolen from the garden at my friends house when I was 17. It was a great bike that I spent many long sunny carefree days on. I have been on the lookout for one as a nostalgia restoration project. The photo attached is the same as the one I had but I'm sure mine was a double but its so long ago I cant remember (I must be getting senile)

Regards

Russell Allen

Attachments

• carlton.jpg
    carlton.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,127
Top Bottom