Yet another Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kezz

Sorry, Just thought Id introduce myself as Ive posted a couple of times asking for advice which was kindly given, thankyou:smile:

I am a 41 year old mum of 2. I havent been on a bike for about 20 years untill yesterday when I started cycling to work. Its only 2 miles in, 2 miles back but as Im about 2 stone overweight and very unfit its enough:biggrin: for now. Looking forward to reading lots more posts on here and hopefully getting reasonably fit.
Kerry

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Hi Kerry, best of luck with it. Where are you - hilly area, or not so bad?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome!

Great that you're back on a bike again and using it for your work commute. You'll feel a benefit even with that short distance and very soon you'll find going further and faster easier and easier!
If you're riding on roads, I would seriously recommend you read "Cyclecraft" by Franklin, invaluable advice.
Apart from that, keep it up, learn to enjoy rain and smile at the cold... Summer will be back round again and you'll be fit to enjoy it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
don't knock your 2 mile each way commute. Mine is 1.8 m each way! I sometimes take the long way round if it's a nice day but all the best to you and you're very welcome to the fold. Pop over to cakestop to offer some new opinions.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Welcome to the wheel

A 2 mile commute is a good little workout (depending on the lay of the land), which you'll find goes faster in no time.

Keep at it, and soon, as you gain fitness, you'll want to ride on weekends too.

Maybe you'll find some inspiration here

Danny

Legendary Member
Another welcome from me. Cycling four miles a day - or 20 miles a week is a really good start. In fact it is much more sensible to gradually build up your fitness by cycling short distances at first. If you do it regularly you'll soon find you are ready to go further.

If your kids are old enough to cycle you could plan some longer family rides at weekends - though you might want to wait until next Spring when the weather, hopefully, starts to improve.

OP
OP
K

kezz

HF2300 said:
Hi Kerry, best of luck with it. Where are you - hilly area, or not so bad?

I live right at the peak of a hill so the journey home is quite hard. I can make it up the hill though, really slowly:smile:

Thanks everyone for all the advice and encouragment!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
kezz said:
I live right at the peak of a hill so the journey home is quite hard. I can make it up the hill though, really slowly:smile:

Thanks everyone for all the advice and encouragment!

Well done for getting up the hill.
Climbing hills is a matter of technique:
Most important... RELAX, especially the upper body.
Select nice low gear where you can spin your legs around at a comfortable pace.
Sit back on the saddle.
Did I mention to RELAX the upper body and arms?
Drive with your legs and lower back.
Gently wind yourself up the hill.

Many people make the mistake of 'attacking' the hill and wrestling the bike up, this wastes an awfull lot of energy that is better used by just the legs and back.

Welcome! :bravo:

Yeah, hills. Speaking as another (relative) newbie of a similar age (40), ableit a bloke, I can't emphasis enough using a nice low gear. You might feel like your legs are whizzing away and you're not getting anywhere but you'll ache far less the next day if you do it that way .. I think I'm right in saying that this also gives your heart and lungs a nice work out, rather than making you build up thighs like Chris Hoy!! It also means you're less likely to mess your knees up.

You don't have to go mental: just find the gear that means you're not pushing too hard on the pedals. Course, as you get used to it you'll find you can run a higher gear and get up there faster.

How old are the children? Ours are 5 and 8 and they love a family ride out. The older one can go 13 miles or so without a problem, and the younger one rides her bike with a Trail Gator hooked to the back of my bike.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
:welcome:Kezz. I hope you enjoy your foray into the world of cycling. Cycling can hurt, it can make you sore and you may ache in the beginning. However, the best bit of advice I can give you is make sure you enjoy yourself and keep in enjoying yourself. Don't get hung up on times, distance, etc. Have fun and keep on enjoying the :bravo:

OP
OP
K

kezz

Thanks everyone. This forum is great, lots of advice which is really appreciated:smile:
I seem to be coping alot better than I thought I would with the hills but Im glad I started cycling at this time of year as I am getting really hot. I think I would have given up if I'd started in the summer:blush:

Lazy-Commuter, I have two sons aged nineteen and five. The Trail Gator is a definate must for us, thankyou.

kezz said:
Thanks everyone. This forum is great, lots of advice which is really appreciated:smile:
I seem to be coping alot better than I thought I would with the hills but Im glad I started cycling at this time of year as I am getting really hot. I think I would have given up if I'd started in the summer:blush:

Lazy-Commuter, I have two sons aged nineteen and five. The Trail Gator is a definate must for us, thankyou.
Oh yes, hot !! I find I need to be just a little bit chilly when I start off in the morning otherwise I'll be melting by the time I get to work. I screwed it up today: it looked frosty just before I set off so warmest gloves, loads of layers, etc. Nope, it was warmer than that: meltdown by the time I got to work.

Angelfishsolo said:
Surely the 19 year old can manage on his own by now :rolleyes:
You'd have thought so!! :thumbsup: Our friends have one that they use for their (very tall for her age) not quite 8yo daughter. That's probably a bit too far: he's very experienced but still struggles to keep it all under control when she fidgets about.

The problem is you can end up with them not doing their own riding, so we're hoping to not use it for Littlest-LC beyond the end of next year, when she'll be around six-and-a-half .. gradually weaning her off of it during the course of the year.

Top Bottom