Yet another pointlessly close overtake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For some reason this overtake annoyed me more than other similar occurrences. Loads of room – two lanes – light traffic– car behind him was a long long way off – but this total w**ker of a driver has to scrape the skin off my knuckles as he passes –
Am I being a little precious here? Do you think he thought I was too far out and did it on purpose? If he did – it never works – tossers like that just make me cycle even further out from the kerb….. rant over!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jYHryKl-Q

bryce

Definitely too close and definitely teaching you his lesson. He was probably irritated that you weren't further into the gutter..

Why do people like that usually drive Mondeos and Cavaliers? Do they give discounts to angry people?

Cab

Just needless really. You were in a decent road position, he gained nothing by overtaking too close. He's a pillock.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
You *may* just be justified in calling them a name and/or signalling your disapproval according to the Col Law of Driver Altercation, as it directly affected you. Best check with him first though!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously though, that was some dire driving. As you say, it makes you want to move further out so you either force them into the next lane, or give yourself more room to move should the need arise.

Grade A tw*t in that Mondeo!! :tongue:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Too close, and nice use of Pearl Jam.

D'ya know, I've think I've just realised what Pearl Jam is. Bugger!

Twiggy

Horribly close overtake. I'm much the same, when someone overtakes too close, rather than pulling in closer to the left, I move more out to the right.

Though when drivers wait behind me, I'll move in if they don't lean on their horn, or rev their engine at me.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Just by the road markings for a speed camera - too busy worrying about being flashed?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Like Twickers, I'm not sure this one merits 'level 10' indignation, but it was close enough to pass the Bollo 'Itchy Right Hand (tm)' test. And it was unnecessary. Luckily, I tied the increase in his engine note with the oncoming car and moved left about half a foot before he passes, or this might have been a little uglier. Also contrast it with the space the lorry gives me. I think that's one of the reasons these little nuggets of tw@tishness annoy me, as the vast majority of drivers around my way are actually pretty considerate.

And those of you who have been paying attention will note this occurs near my favourite 'strips of vague redness' that I've taken issue with on previous threads. The majority of close passes happen on this stretch - also the only bit of my commute with an on-road cycle 'lane'.

As its not the most interesting, I've also jazzed it up a bit...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWLSaouwjg

need2

had the closest shave yet last nite..
The weather has been bad around our way so had`nt been on my bike for a few days went for a 20 miler lastnite to blow cobwebs away & looked heavy rain was due so didnt want 2go to far...

I`m plodding along minding my own business riding through a town ( newcastle emlyn incase anyone knows the place ),, I was going along the road got overtaken by a van to have the said van turn to the left up a junction ( hilll to the school )no more than 40ft in front of me,in actuall fact as the van pulled in from overtaking it just took the junction at the same time ..
A few well guided hand signals etc were given but does`nt remove the fact that the driver was a idiot and hearly had to remove me from the side of his van..:biggrin:

I found out this week there is a woman who bike rides a lot around our way,she has been wiped out more times than she has had sunday dinners so to speak,she rides a bianchi nice bike,weird saddle she has though..

As she has been taken off so many times she has fitted a small digital camera to her handle bars and now takes pictures of the cars that cut her up or try to run her off the road ,,when she goes to the ploice to make a complaint and they ask for the proof she now hands them pictures...( good idea I think )

Mr Pig

User said:
I'd say you have grounds (and sufficient evidence) to report the matter to the police. I'd say a possible Section 4 offence there.

Go for it. Maybe if enough people pester the police they will eventually do something about it.

Top Bottom