yet another puncture :((

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I am using ultargatorskin 700 x23c and keep getting punctures which are essentially small pieces of minute glass very hard to detect...should I change the tyres?? it would appear that the smallest shred of glass is able to penetrate the skin of the gatorskins. They have done around 5000 miles?...should I just be more careful where I cycle? it's the kids always smashing bottles glass etc, I do not have this trouble on my hybrid as the tyres are much more solid.....

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
When gators wear down they can be prone to punctures, I run them on two of my bikes and find that as long as they are kept up to max pressure they are normally fine. Maybe a daily check to remove any small flints/glass etc.

D

Deleted member 1258

I am using ultargatorskin 700 x23c and keep getting punctures which are essentially small pieces of minute glass very hard to detect...should I change the tyres?? it would appear that the smallest shred of glass is able to penetrate the skin of the gatorskins. They have done around 5000 miles?...should I just be more careful where I cycle? it's the kids always smashing bottles glass etc, I do not have this trouble on my hybrid as the tyres are much more solid.....

Try to get into a routine of checking your tyres for rubbish on a regular basis, I check my racelites once a week, the tyres will tend to pick up rubbish, and if its not removed it will work its way through over time and cause punctures. You say the tyres have done 5000 miles, how worn are they? if they are badly worn you might find that new tyres are the answer, the back normally wears quicker than the front.

shippers

This is the bane of my life! I have puncture proof strips inside my tyres to stop punctures- on Tuesday it appears the edge of it caused a puncture! I've tried loads of things but probably average an "unscheduled deflation" every 200 miles or so- I have to cycle through the Studenty bit of Leeds each way on my commute.
Marathon Plus tyres are good- but they don't come less than 700x25, and my Secteur won't take bigger than 700x23.

Things I found have helped-
swap the tube out. The number of repeat punctures I've had is silly, sometimes weeks later- especially in summer, oddly. Evans do them for £2.99 with free postage.
cycle a bit further into the road- lots of crap gathers in the gutters
tyre pressure- keep it high
check tyres for bits of crap
line up the logo on your tyre with the valve- repeat punctures in a similar place shows there's something loitering in your tyre.

Good luck!

Madcyclist

I'm waiting for replacement Ultra Gatorskins from Wiggle at the moment after two punctures in as many days, the first in just under 6000 miles. I have found in the past that I usually get 5-6000 miles without any punctures but after they start to puncture they come thick and fast so best to replace them.

Garz

Squat Member
5,000 miles is a fair bit to be honest. The best advice is how dave put it, deflate the tyre often and check for shards/splints etc. Fish any objects out (I use a small screwdriver) and if necessary glue the hole. If there is a large gash then be prepared for a freak puncture, you can get folding tyres that can go in your jersey pocket or saddle bag in case.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Also silly question but.....what is the difference between 700x23 and 700x23c? I know I am a bit of a novice :sad: I presume both tyres have close to the same fit??

Canardly

Veteran
5,000 miles is a fair bit to be honest. The best advice is how dave put it, deflate the tyre often and check for shards/splints etc. Fish any objects out (I use a small screwdriver) and if necessary glue the hole. If there is a large gash then be prepared for a freak puncture, you can get folding tyres that can go in your jersey pocket or saddle bag in case.

+1

peelywally

is it time to re introduce the solid tyre ?

what has history told us about pneumatic tyres other than they are fiddly to pump and prone to punctures :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

A short section cut out of an old tyre can be carried in your bag or pocket and can be fitted between tyre and tube if you get damage to the tyre and it will get you home.

Top Bottom