Yet more benefits of exercise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
My mate has just been diagnosed with cancer of the kidneys and been told he has only 2 years to live with treatment without, this Christmas, now if someone told him to do exercises I'm sure he will tell them to F.O. polity

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
My mate has just been diagnosed with cancer of the kidneys and been told he has only 2 years to live with treatment without, this Christmas, now if someone told him to do exercises I'm sure he will tell them to F.O. polity

According to the article he's likely to live longer if he takes note and does it, but having watched a terminal cancer at close quarters I'd accept that as a valid response!

I think the issue is more for the majority of cancers which aren't immediately terminal.

I've wondered about that ever since reading Its Not About the Bike, Lance Armstrong's account of his cancer treatment and survival. Tumours need lots of oxygen and grow blood vessels to deliver it. I wondered whether his riding his bike, even though he was in a bad state, actually deprived the tumours of oxygen at the same time as they were under stress from the chemotherapy. Usually by the time a tumour has metastasised including to his brain its pretty terminal because the disease is diffuse throughout the body but his cleared up completely including his brain tumours which were found to be substantially dead when they were operated on.

david1701

logically the counter to that Red Light is that being fitter and doing excercise increases blood flow during the down times providing more oxygen to the tumors?

Maybe but the effects in LA were so strong that it would be worth looking into and not something AFAIK that has been looked at.

david1701

definitely, but potentially there could be something more along the lines of a more aggressive immune system because of the cycling rather than just the oxygen diversion as that doesn't really make a lot of sense. I mean when you do a lot of miles it doesn't stop hair/nail growth does it?

definitely, but potentially there could be something more along the lines of a more aggressive immune system because of the cycling rather than just the oxygen diversion as that doesn't really make a lot of sense. I mean when you do a lot of miles it doesn't stop hair/nail growth does it?

Intense exercise causes all sorts of changes. Sports related amenorrhea for example. All sorts of things affect nail growth although nobody knows what the control mechanisms are but they grow faster on your writing hand, in men, during the summer and during pregnancy. I don't think anyone has even looked at it in respect of sport so who knows.

Top Bottom