Yikes! What a sudden temperature drop tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never planned a longer ride but as I left work tonight it seemed cool but still and a pleasant evening. Thought I'd have a 14-mile detour so set off, reached the junction where I would normally have headed back in towards Sheffield then climbed up ofer Redmires, I was warm enough and energetic enough so thoiught "sod it" and turned right to head out to Ladybower reservoir, and had a leisurely plod up the long incline to Hollow Meadow, about 1.5 miles before Ladybower and Derwent Valley. :bicycle:

At that point I half-realised my folly as I accellerated down the hill - Hands started to freeze and face/brain began to freeze. Ended up going downhill rather slowly - though that meant pain in the fingers being in front of the brake pedal :eek:

I was SO glad after I'd made it through Bamford and headed back through Hathersage - a decent climb that is normally the "worst bit" of that route. Pleased with my progress up the hill, first time I conquered it without using the lowest gear, and made a fair bit of it honking, just to keep warm and blood pumping around my feet which were beginning to feel it. The extra effort either helped, or altermnatively took my mind off the slowly developing pain

Never felt like this before - at the top of the climb ("Surprise View") there's a nice short downhill section - not a lot, just enough to get legs spinning freely for a minute's respite, before the final bit of the climb up to Fox House. I HATED that bit. Downhill on brakes. Then the second bit of the climb - result! Never made it without the granny ring before - this time I did - the incentive to push and warm up was there - now I know I can do it there's no excuse for being lazy up that bit again even in summer!

Then the long sweeping descent into Sheffield - the reward for all the climbing - normally!

At this point I realised the second part of my folly - Because clothes were drying this morning the only totally dry clean socks I had this morning were my super-thin running socks, with just padding in certain points. NOT winter cycling socks AT ALL! :cold:

Finally made it back into Sheffield - but still more bloody downhill bits!

I got off and pushed the last mile dowhill - now you don't hear many cyclists getting off and pushing DOWN hills!! I couldn't take any more wind-chill :cry:

Warmed up a bit in the Chinese 1.5 miles from home though, lad behind the counter commented that I seemed to be having trouble locking my bike outside - I couldn't hold keys or the lock properly at all! Standing by the counter warming up was nice - almost as nice as the piping hot and chilli-laden salt & pepper tofu that finally got to enjoy back home

Not before stopping at the local Tesco Express (I know, the link in my sig and all that, but I was too cold to give a damn about going anywhere else) - where I had to go back out and shoo off 2 blokes poking at my lights (had been too cold to be bothered taking off the lights, despite there being about £170 of lighting on it) :angry:

The chinese was lovely and I'm now toasty warm -except the ends of my fingers are very sore and my feet are still 2 blocks of ice, nearly 2 hours after getting indoors! :hungry:

I now need new brake pads - again! I've worn them out descending everywhere on the brakes :ohmy:

As much as I really HATED much of the later parts of the ride - due to that it seemed a lot longer than its 25 miles - I didn't mind the strenuous bits and I can't wait for the summer to extend the occasional ride home further and I'm still happy that I've done something with my evening - so even after all that I still kind of enjoyed it. And I at least deserve the Friday evening beers! :cheers:

Oh and the new Hawking/Magicshine clone is the business - perfect for lighting up the road and oncoming drivers ALWAYS dipped well in advance, as opposed to when I only had the standard battery lights

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I hear you !!

On my way home commute my hands and feet did not warm up untill i had done 8 miles, and thats with winter gloves and neoprene overshoes along with a long sleeve base, jersey, windproof, buff, shorts and tights.

For those who think it is getting warmer try before sunrise into the northerly we have had all this week, i am glad i had a second buff for my neck / chin as it has been bitter !!

I love my Magicshine as well , it makes my unlit parts of my commute bright enough for full speed cycling even at 6 am.:biggrin: .How much was yours BTW ? i did a search and could only find £84 whereas mine was £53??

Norm

For those who think it is getting warmer try before sunrise into the northerly we have had all this week
This is the important bit for me. It's bastid cold out there but the wind has been from the north all week, so the temperatures should be expected, even if it hadn't been forecast.

This is the important bit for me. It's bastid cold out there but the wind has been from the north all week, so the temperatures should be expected, even if it hadn't been forecast.

Sorry, I expect what the forecasters tell me...well, within reason and I know they lie like politicians at the best of times.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I love my Magicshine as well , it makes my unlit parts of my commute bright enough for full speed cycling even at 6 am.:biggrin: .How much was yours BTW ? i did a search and could only find £84 whereas mine was £53??

Mine was £85

I didn't realise they were the same lights as on DX and I was unsure about buying online in case of fault, so bought from JE James

If it continues to perform well, I'll buy another, but online

Norm

Well, that's ok :biggrin: then as the forecasters have been calling it at 1-2 degrees every night, so you won't have been surprised. :thumbsup:

Well, that's ok :biggrin: then as the forecasters have been calling it at 1-2 degrees every night, so you won't have been surprised. :thumbsup:

So true, but I cycled with less on during the snow, but I guess the recent warm spell has made me soft
sad.gif

Norm

I just wore a t shirt under my Altura Night Vision yesterday (I was in the car today, had parent's evening after school) and I still sweated my nuts off. My fingers were a bit cold, but not enough to put the full gloves on but it was about as cold as I've been on the bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mine was £85

I didn't realise they were the same lights as on DX and I was unsure about buying online in case of fault, so bought from JE James

If it continues to perform well, I'll buy another, but online

Sometimes it is worth paying a premium, i got a pushchair cheap this week and it came with a damaged handle, the ebay seller reckons i did it and is calling me a scammer.........

HonestMan1910

Über Member
Soft southerners :tongue:

I've been doing my nightly commute since the end of February in bare legs and even manage one night last week with no jacket.

Man up and embrace the cold !!

GrasB

Veteran
One reason to keep well dressed at this time of year:

Air temp: 4.3C (effective air temp @ 15mph -2.1C*)
Clothes: lightweight leg warmers, lightweight 3/4 longs, windproof jacket, compression base layer, spring gloves with fleeced lycra liners
Ave/peak power: 172w/264w
Ave/peak HR: 149/179bpm

Air temp: 4.4C (effective air temp @ 15mph -2.3C*)
Clothes: thermal mid-weight longs w/windproof front panels, windproof jacket, windproof base layer, compression base layer, spring gloves with silk liners under fleeced lycra liners
Ave/peak power: 189w/328w
Ave/peak HR: 151/187bpm

These were taken on consecutive days, I was feeling a little more fatigued on the second day. I find peak power is a very good indicator of being under-dressed, if I don't push out more than 300w when climbing I was definitely under dressed.

* averaged data from on weather station & I don't pretend to understand how the effective air temp is worked out.

shunty

I too am a softy southerner and, yes, Friday was mighty chilly on the way home. But, oh my, this morning was even colder. Looking at the sunshine now you wouldn't believe it but it even Jack Frost went past me with double thermals on!

Top Bottom