Yoga

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Does anybody do this? I heard it's good for de stressing and keeping the body in good shape, which is why i cycle as well so i thought the two might go together during th ewinter when cyclong isnt always so..erm...dry....or is this just a 'girly' thing?

..hmmm...erm..I mean Hummm:biggrin:

purplemoon

I "do" yoga on the Wii Fit but that's about as far as I've ever got with it :biggrin:

Aksherly ... it might benefit you to get one of those to use during winter! I got mine when they first came out and after an enthusiastic start it laid dormant for a couple of months but I've been getting back on it again over the past week.

I bet you'd have great fun doing the hula :biggrin:

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0WDct_U122U

mr Mag00

rising member
i used to go to a class was the only bloke and it was great, was a form of yoga for stretching and developing core strength, ayurveda was the system. not sitting around cross-legged humming, but we did lay down and relax at the end of the session. the tutor was great and worked with me and stretching my hamstrings and helping with back pain. I have continued doing some of the exercises at home and i will return to it one day soon.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..The hula sounds fun..do I have to wear a grass skirt though?:biggrin:

..seriously I thought a yoga class would be good because it would keep me 'stretched and chilled' and get me out of th ehouse (other than on the bike) in th winter...I could also ride there and back I guess....also i heard women wear leotards at those things which is of course an added bonus;):biggrin::rolleyes:

..now just need to find one locally.

Yoga is great. Good for all sorts of things - flexibility, strength, body awareness and coordination, relaxation. I do it several times a week, mostly to keep my back limber. I used to go to a class (no time now) where there were many girls, but also several very fit runners, cyclists and a bodybuilder, who all used it to complement their chosen sport.

I've been doing it on and off for many years and thoroughly recommend it. When I was doing triathlon it was great for working the kinks out, and a good general stretch before an event.

Find a class, give it a go. There are lots of styles available, probably best not to go for Iyengar or that sweaty yoga first of all. A good teacher will not insist on you being able to get into the exact pose - ours used to say "it's the journey, not the destination", and no-one in the class should make you feel uncomfortable, (apart from yourself).

mr Mag00

rising member
iyengar, that was the system i used to do, why would you not recommend it twentyinch? i found it brilliant and we werent pushed it was all at our own pace and the class had an enormous variaty of ability

The Iyengar I've seen and talked about is very technical and precise, and I'm not sure it would be a great intro. Lots of straps and blocks to get into JUST the right position. However I've never taken a class, and it may well be just what BTFB wants.

There's really no way of telling what a class is like and whether you'll like it without going along and trying it out. A good teacher will let you have one class to try out before hitting you up for joining fees etc. You can talk to other people there too - ask how long they've been coming, whether it has helped with problems, what other classes they've been to and so on.

I went to my class principally because I enjoyed the style of instruction and the welcoming atmosphere. When I was broke, the instructors let me come for nothing, but I always tried to pay something. I wasn't the only one that they helped in this manner. If those two teachers were still teaching during the week, I'd probably still go, but they now concentrate on training other teachers.

Try it out. It may not be your cup of tea, but I find it really useful. Just counted up - I first started doing yoga when I was 12 years old, from an old Richard Hittleman book. That's 27 years ago. Christ....

BTFB, you're not a berk. And believe me, everyone in that class was a beginner once, including the instructor. A good class remembers that.

james_so

You could always give sky chanel 275 a look and try it out in privacy :smile: (my wife tells me the kundalini yoga is brilliant)

Yoga is definitely good for cyclists. I've been doing yoga on and off for a while, I really recommend it. Good for stretching out hamstrings (which cycling tightens up).

The first course I did was a very gentle, beginners introductory course, where everyone worked at their own pace and there was no pushing from the instructor at all. I enjoyed this, but I actually found the more 'structured' Iyengar style a lot better, as it pushed me into improving how I did the postures and realising that your body can do more that you think it can - for example I would never have done a shoulder stand if I'd stayed in the first class, as I didn't think I could do it. You still work at your own pace, but your own pace is stretched a little, which improves the practice overall.

I've never said 'Ommmmm' in a class, btw!!

Have just returned from a 3 day yoga "holiday" in Cornwall with my wife (www.yogaatwork.co.uk), which was absolutely brilliant. My only previous experience was a few years ago at the local gym, but this was much, much better.

Definitely have felt much more energised, and (I know this may sound daft) but "lighter":smile:

I have suffered from fatigue/gland related problems for some years post Glandular Fever in my mid 30's, and I can honestly say that since I've returned from Cornwall, it's the best I've felt for a long time.

As to it being "girly", no way, it's an excellent work out (albeit, and very importantly, in a non-competitive way) + as other have said, you can often be vastly out-numbered by lycra clad females;):wub:

yenrod

Ive done that thing whereby your in a group and move your body all together SLOWLY...

That was quite boring!

Top Bottom