York-Humber Bridge flat(-tish) imperial century, FINAL DATE CHANGE 11th September, 2021!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Leeds station is OK once you know the parking, otherwise it's hard work. An easier pickup in Leeds is New Pudsey station, near me. Free P&R, loads of free parking. Car park the size of a football stadium. Wrong side of town from the NE though.
I did think of the stations before Leeds, but that would take Neil even further out of his way, which I wouldn't be happy about.

It appears that there should be enough Northern trains to choose from. It is only the Transpennine ones that cause problems for cyclists.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have put a lot more details in the first post of the thread. I will be updating that again over the next few days.

More riders wanted... sign up below! :welcome:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Top work on the route, Colin.

I think last time we may have made a left just before the bridge where your last right is now.

That took us on a short loop which wouldn't have mattered, except it involved a long climb only to immediately drop down again.

I recall you and Andy from Hull struggling on that climb on your singlespeeds.

I thought at first Andy had dropped back to pace you up, which would have been sensible and just the sort of thing he would do.

But he told me later he was suffering from lack of grunt, same as you.

From memory, our finishing times have varied quite a bit, year on year, as might be expected.

I think the last time we rolled back into York it was either just before or after 7pm.

Your 8pm target should be easily achieved, barring any mechanical alarms or excursions.

If for some reason you are well behind when you reach the bridge, one option would be to use the refreshment trailer in the car park on the north side.

Shame to miss the bridge crossing, but I reckon it would buy you a good half hour or more.

Riders would also be guaranteed a hot food option, the service of which gets a bit cranky in the other place much after 1.30pm.

By the by, my ongoing er, 'health issues' mean it would not be wise for me to attempt the ride this time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Top work on the route, Colin.
I just nudged cycle.travel towards my choice of route and it filled in the details for me! :okay:

I think last time we may have made a left just before the bridge where your last right is now.

That took us on a short loop which wouldn't have mattered, except it involved a long climb only to immediately drop down again.

I recall you and Andy from Hull struggling on that climb on your singlespeeds.

I thought at first Andy had dropped back to pace you up, which would have been sensible and just the sort of thing he would do.

But he told me later he was suffering from lack of grunt, same as you.
Ah, I think that hill is still in. It is the climb of Elloughton Hill just before Welton.

Cycle.travel has a strong preference for avoiding traffic so it selected the hill, which is up a quieter road. TBH, it was a bit of a 'grunt'! The easier alternative is to use Welton Low Road. That is a busier road, but not exactly a motorway. I think I will spare my legs and amend the route to go that way for a change!

From memory, our finishing times have varied quite a bit, year on year, as might be expected.

I think the last time we rolled back into York it was either just before or after 7pm.

Your 8pm target should be easily achieved, barring any mechanical alarms or excursions.
Yes, I think 7pm would be pushing our luck, but I'd be disappointed not to get back to the station by 8pm.

If for some reason you are well behind when you reach the bridge, one option would be to use the refreshment trailer in the car park on the north side.

Shame to miss the bridge crossing, but I reckon it would buy you a good half hour or more.

Riders would also be guaranteed a hot food option, the service of which gets a bit cranky in the other place much after 1.30pm.
I think it would be a HUGE shame to miss the double bridge crossing, given that it is the main reason for heading down there in the first place! :laugh:I'd rather miss out on hot food than the bridge.

By the by, my ongoing er, 'health issues' mean it would not be wise for me to attempt the ride this time.
I thought that might be the case. Get as well as you can, as soon as you can, and hopefully you will make it out on another forum ride one day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have updated the route to the easier road up to Welton. (The profile and map still show the old way because it isn't worth the effort for me to change them. If I hadn't told you, I doubt that you would even have noticed! :laugh:]

videoman

Guru
Hi Colin, just wondered if this ride was going ahead on 31st July if you had enough people interested. My problem is I live 120 miles away from York and would need to organise travelling to and from.
Cheers
Alan

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin, just wondered if this ride was going ahead on 31st July if you had enough people interested. My problem is I live 120 miles away from York and would need to organise travelling to and from.
Cheers
Alan
Hi Alan.

I certainly intend the ride to go ahead on the 31st! At the moment 3 or 4 other riders have said that they might join me. It will go ahead with just us if necessary, but I am hoping that a few more riders will sign up. I have asked my pals Carrie and Kevin if they would like to come along again (they came on the recent Garforth ride) but they haven't decided yet.

120 miles is a pretty long distance to travel for a forum ride! I have done that kind of distance to take part in a few forum rides and audax events, but I combined those trips with family visits in the Midlands.

Only 2 downloads showing now instead of previous three. I think outbound is missing, but as I'm on mobile not sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The main gpx files I already uploaded are detailed ones with lots of trackpoints. My old Garmin Etrex won't work with them so I have slimmed the files down to below its 500 trackpoint limit. If anybody has similarly ancient technology, you probably want to use those instead. I have attached those below. (I won't put them in the first post in case somebody loads them by mistake. They would still work, but the detailed routes conform to the path of the road better, rather than approximating to it with just a few hundred straight line segments.)

While I was simplifying the file for the outbound route I noticed that cycle.travel had inserted a very curious loop in the road at Newport, immediately over the Market Weighton canal. I have absolutely no idea why it did that... We will skip the loop and carry on heading NE! :laugh:

Attachments

• Barton upon Humber to Grimston Bar P+R 345 points.gpx
    20.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Grimston Bar P+R York to Barton upon Humber 408 points.gpx
    23.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I STILL haven't tracked down the funny noises that my singlespeed bike was making on the Garforth century ride! I have another bike for backup but the singlespeed is ideal for this route so I'd prefer to use it.

Let's hope that it stays sunny and dry but cools down by 8-10 degrees by the end of the month...

It would be nice to get at least another 2 or 3 riders to join us... Don't be shy - sign up below for this Bridge-tastic experience!

:welcome:

videoman

Guru
Hi Colin,
Think I will have to leave this one this time as at the moment we only have one car and my wife has been working weekends as a clinical assessor at a large vaccination centre which is 9 miles from home.
Cheers
Alan

Top Bottom