York-Humber Bridge flat(-tish) imperial century, FINAL DATE CHANGE 11th September, 2021!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
''Are you going to update the 70 birthday presents thread? ''

I will. I'll do it tomorrow and I'll update it a few days at a time. ^_^

Buck

Guru
At the minute the 7th is a no from me. I’m now supposed to be catching up with some friends. If this doesn’t go ahead then I‘ll update on here.

I have a feeling that this is going to end up a 3-rider ride...! :sad:
Cancel it completely is obviously an option? That's a bit sad I know but it really seems rather a waste of all your organising if it only benefits 2 of us (and you). I know the long days are running away from us so it might not be this year but it's then ready for late spring.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cancel it completely is obviously an option? That's a bit sad I know but it really seems rather a waste of all your organising if it only benefits 2 of us (and you). I know the long days are running away from us so it might not be this year but it's then ready for late spring.
Well, it gets me out of the house... I might as well get another long ride in while I can. Especially after the hassle I had fixing my noisy singlespeed bike ready for this ride! :laugh:

It will take place again next year anyway so those who miss out this time can join us next time.

I am surprised that more people are not interested though. I suppose that a lot of families have not been able to have a decent holiday for 18 months and will be taking them about now; maybe that's a factor?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I can't make the 7th or 14th :sad: I'm in the Peak District on the 7th & working the 14th. But the weather isn't looking great for this Saturday, so I may take it as an ideal time to visit my parents on my days off 👍

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

And now Carrie is trying to find a dog-sitter for the 7th! She has one for this weekend so we are going to do a local ride.

I'm sure that it didn't used to be this difficult to find dates that suited people...? :laugh:

Actually, I remember organising a forum ride once where NOBODY joined me... I ended up doing it as Colin-no-mates! There have been a few rides where there were only 2 or 3 of us.

Julia9054

Guru
Actually, I remember organising a forum ride once where NOBODY joined me
This happened to me on my one and only attempt to organise a forum ride. Something to do with a train strike as I recall. Al and I went by ourselves

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

This happened to me on my one and only attempt to organise a forum ride. Something to do with a train strike as I recall. Al and I went by ourselves
Oh, I think that I remember that one.

Hopefully, things will be pretty much back to normal (in the UK, at least!) by the start of 2022 and we can get back to doing multiple well-attended forum rides every year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thunderstorms are now forecast by the Met Office for the York/Hull area on Saturday afternoon... :whistle:

It looks like we might have dodged a bullet (or a lightning bolt) by postponing by a week! (The BBC forecast doesn't yet mention thunderstorms, but is also looking wetter day by day.)

We got caught out in a storm like that in 2016. We could see the storm brewing up from the cafe stop and after coming back over the bridge it got so dark that all the cars had their headlights switched on.

Storm brewing near Humber Bridge.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We got caught out in a storm like that in 2016. We could see the storm brewing up from the cafe stop and after coming back over the bridge it got so dark that all the cars had their headlights switched on.

I recall entering the bridge car park dry and leaving it soaking wet - one of the heaviest storms I've experienced.

We used to to turn right out of the car park and dip under a road bridge.

The road was already flooded to a depth of a few inches which must have happened in a couple of minutes.

On another edition we got a severe dousing somewhere after Goole.

I recall sheltering, possibly with you and Brian, in an open fronted garage.

Slightly unusual in that the linked house appeared to be on the other side of the road.

Heavy rain and this ride do seem to go together, although given the time of year we do it, it's usually 'warm' rain with very little wind.

One wet stretch was bordering on the agreeable, cool and refreshing, and I dried soon after it stopped raining.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It looks like they might be getting some more of it today.

I'm doing a local ride with Carrie soon. It isn't fantastic over here but hopefully we won't get anything worse than some wind and drizzle.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry, but the forecast is looking really unappealing for Saturday - wet and windy all day. I don't want to spend all day out in that!

I think we have a choice - see if we have any more luck on a later Saturday, OR just give up on the idea this time and do it next spring?

How many of you would be free and interested in doing the ride on the 14th or the 28th? (I am doing the Forest of Bowland ride on the 21st so the next available date for me after the 14th would be the 28th.) If we wanted to try September we might run out of daylight hours on the way back unless we started an hour earlier and that could mean a crazily early start for me.

Top Bottom