York-Humber Bridge-York Saturday, June 9th, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It occurred to me the route would be doable in either direction, although I can't see a strong reason to go one way or the other.

For obvious reasons Hull-York-Hull would be far preferable to me; possibly to the odd other person such as @Soltydog too?

But my guess would be the majority will find train bookings into and out of York more appealing in terms of ride start time and, more especially, implications for what time they can look forward to a hot bath and cold beer at the end of a long ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh yes, the direction ... I forgot to say that in the other direction the steep descent into South Newbald would become a steep climb which wouldn't suit me on my singlespeed bike. I don't really have strong feelings about the direction apart from that.

PS I now see that it was Hull-York-Hull rather than clockwise vs anticlockwise. No - Hull is too far away for me. Last year I left home before 06:00 and got home at 22:00 and that was to and from York!

As for the B1228 to Howden ... We had a couple of very close passes by HGVs in the rain last year - I didn't like those much!

If we do the route I linked to above then we still have to do a short stretch into Howden. We also have to 6 or 7 minutes on the fast-looking A163 from North Duffield to Bubwith. There are not a lot of choices in how to cross the Derwent - we either cross at Sutton as in previous years, or choose between 2 A-roads or the cyclepath at Barmby. For a new route I think the A163 is the best choice.

Just to clarify - I'm all in favour of tweaks and changes to keep things fresh. Plus it's your ride anyway, so would never quibble with someone else's plan, just wanted to point out possible 'sticky bits' was all :smile:
Good, that's what I wanted!

The cycle path out of York is very pleasant. A bit bumpy with tree roots pushing through, but nothing major. If you were to continue south along the NCN65 to Riccall instead of heading onto roads at Escrick that would allow people to enjoy the solar system section. From Riccall King Rudding Lane would allow you to rejoin your route at Skipwith without needing to take any A roads. Just a suggestion.
That does sound tempting ... I think we should manage to keep to a reasonable average speed even with staying on the TPT a bit longer.

So, the trail marked on the map from King Rudding Ln to Skipwith through the nature reserve is ok for road bikes then?

Other than that a nice enough route, and pretty simple to follow. Call me soft if you like, but Swanland Hill (B1231) would probably be reason enough for me to come armed with gears (if it ends up being a date I can make) rather than take the single speed...
It looks to be about 600 metres at 6%, which I reckon I can cope with!

That nice steady climb out of Welton should get people warmed up again for the home leg! Rest of it looks good. Nice to not be repeating too many of the same roads on the route home. I don't like that road between Raywell and Riplingham that the previous version of the ride took, so it's a good thing in my book that this version avoids that.

Cheers.
Thanks for comments. Subject to confirmation of the quality of the TPT to Ricall and the trail through the nature reserve, I'll put those sections in.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For obvious reasons Hull-York-Hull would be far preferable to me; possibly to the odd other person such as @Soltydog too?

But my guess would be the majority will find train bookings into and out of York more appealing in terms of ride start time and, more especially, implications for what time they can look forward to a hot bath and cold beer at the end of a long ride.

Ah, gotcha, I thought we were talking about clockwise or anti-clockwise.

A Hull start would be doable for me, but as you surmise it wouldn't find favour with those coming by train.

Without wishing to overuse my licence to interfere, I wonder if the solar system path is a good choice for this ride.

We are looking to keep moving and there might be 10 or more of us.

That path is quite narrow and is often busy with pedestrians, dogs, and 'family' cyclists.

So, the trail marked on the map from King Rudding Ln to Skipwith through the nature reserve is ok for road bikes then?
It's been a while, but unless it's changed for a few years back there was a narrow tarmac road right through when I did it. Rutted and muddy tarmac in places, but a road nonetheless.

It looks to be about 600 metres at 6%, which I reckon I can cope with!
It definitely feels like more than that when you're going up it! You'll be fine though. What gear ratio is your SS? I'm on 42/16.

Without wishing to overuse my licence to interfere, I wonder if the solar system path is a good choice for this ride.

We are looking to keep moving and there might be 10 or more of us.

That path is quite narrow and is often busy with pedestrians, dogs, and 'family' cyclists.

This is fair point. I guess I'm less bothered by issues of train times and ride finishes than others, and am generally happy with shorter stops than some, so I was thinking more in terms of pleasant sights than managing pacing.

Cheers.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

You've never met me & know that I'm an odd person? Is it that obvious :laugh:

Hopefully my new roster will be out very soon, but as it stands I'll probably be joining only for part of the ride on either date. June i'm due to be working late shifts, midnight finish on Friday will prevent an early start for me on Saturday & working early shifts on July date 1.30 finish on Saturday, so I'll probably join the ride back to York, or part of in the afternoon :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I think Pale Rider is right ... I don't want to be in the position of trying to rush people out of the cafe at the bridge because we took too long on the ride out. Not only would we be slower on an extended TPT section, but the extra TPT would add another couple of miles and we are already 3 or 4 miles over the 100. (Littgull and I will probably already be adding another 5-10 miles onto that to catch our train in the morning from Hebden Bridge so it will be a long day.)

I have a friend who only does occasional cycling and she would probably really like the TPT so I will ask her if she fancies a day/weekend out to York with the bikes. I'll explore further down the trail with her.

Let's stick to my route through Escrick. There is about 3/4 km to do on the A19, including a length of dual carriageway. It looks a bit too busy for my liking so I recommend that we use the adjacent cyclepath for that little section. We would be on it for less than 5 minutes so I think that is a small price to pay to avoid tangling with the motorists.

It definitely feels like more than that when you're going up it! You'll be fine though. What gear ratio is your SS? I'm on 42/16.
52/19, which I calculate to be about 4% higher than 42/16. Slightly harder uphill, but slightly less spinny on the flat. I was using it today and found that 35 kph (22 mph) was the fastest that I felt comfortable pedalling at (~105 rpm cadence), but that was why I chose that gear - it is ideal for 24-32 kph (15-20 mph) which is what I would aim for on the flat. I can manage short bursts faster than that on descents but am better off just freewheeling in an aero tuck.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have no idea what that is about because it won't let me in without my non-existent FB login!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I know the date hasn't been set yet, but I've just been having a look at train tickets on the National Ridiculous website.

If I cycle to my local station (1 mile) it's a whopping £14.50 each way!
If I cycle to Leeds (5 miles) and get on the same train I'd get at my local station (but board one stop further away from York), it's £3 each way...:wacko:

So the railway want £23 more to travel 10 miles less.:eek:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I know the date hasn't been set yet, but I've just been having a look at train tickets on the National Ridiculous website.

If I cycle to my local station (1 mile) it's a whopping £14.50 each way!
If I cycle to Leeds (5 miles) and get on the same train I'd get at my local station (but board one stop further away from York), it's £3 each way...:wacko:

So the railway want £23 more to travel 10 miles less.:eek:

Good stuff, Dave.

It wouldn't be a proper CycleChat ride thread without a barmy train fare post or two.

I was checking a journey earlier this week in which a return was significantly cheaper than one way.

Not quite as daft as it first appears because the one way was a buy/cancel anytime ticket where as there would have been advance purchase and cancellation restrictions on the return ticket.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You've got an additional problem at the moment that the government has allowed National Ridiculous to shorten the booking horizon to six weeks or less, instead of the usual 12 weeks, so some cheap Advanced tickets for the suggested dates probably aren't on sale yet. I won't write more else it'll go all N&CA.

Top Bottom