"You have no authority, Jackie Weaver"

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Already up and running Here

OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sorry - I did search for 'Weaver' before posting!! Mine has an arguably better clickbait title! I hope everyone who watches gets a few laughs.

A very long time ago, we had a university equine society (aka riding club) 'extraordinary meeting' called by the Sec and Treas to oust the President (a motion of censure). We recorded the meeting. Critical to the outcome was recruiting members to attend (from the faction I supported) and to get one of 'our own' (a NZ lawyer post-grad by chance) elected as the meeting's chairman. Happy days. Listening to the audio-recording a year on was seriously entertaining.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just magic. Why I’ll mever het involved in such organisations. I was on the primary school PTA And that was enough.
When I co-founded a cycle-club, it was on the basis that this type of crap wouldn’t happen, just the legal minimum, a meeting with a couple people In the pub to keep it above board. Give a small man a taste of ‘power’....

OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes. The Chairman definitely missed a key trick there, especially as, by implication, the 'Clerk' had form 'you excluded me last time'. But perhaps Zoom/Teams hosting is technology too far (for him).
Your current avatar is particularly appropriate for this thread, @Drago :laugh:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What a novice, trying to raise a point of order before the meeting has started!
School boy error there.

I know it’s only a parish council with very little power, but just shows how dysfunctional things can get when these self important people get involved.

Pathetic. I presume Jackie has only been called to the meeting because this sort of bullying behaviour has got out of hand.

Hate to say it. Age apparently is a privilege where bad behaviour and lack of competence is acceptable. After all it is a parish council meeting seems to be an excuse. I have no qualms handing over the lowest hierarchy of government to those aged 30 and below by newly enacted laws. I honestly think they can't do worse than these clowns. May have some fresh ideas for a change.

Our cohort should be confined to organising cycle rides, naming swans in the park lakes and writing memoirs of the days gone by.

Last edited:

SheilaH

Guru
A wall of ageing gammon trying to bully a woman. Its crying out to be turned into a rave tune, with "READ THE STANDING ORDERS!!! READ THEM AND UNDERSTAND THEM!!!" just before the drop.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I haven't watched it - I've attended far too many uncomfortable meetings - and I'm sure it's grimly funny. But is this sort of shaming really fair to the participants? I suspect they all thought they were just doing what was best for the town and didn't expect their embarrassment to be plastered all over the internet.

Someone should be getting their knuckles rapped for the leak.

SheilaH

Guru
I haven't watched it - I've attended far too many uncomfortable meetings - and I'm sure it's grimly funny. But is this sort of shaming really fair to the participants? I suspect they all thought they were just doing what was best for the town and didn't expect their embarrassment to be plastered all over the internet.

Someone should be getting their knuckles rapped for the leak.
Well, firstly, it wasn't leaked. Secondly, I think you'd probably need to watch it, then find out the context before being able to give any judgement about it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
it wasn't leaked
It is a public meeting, so cannot be 'leaked', although the law governing such meetings is very much pre-Zoom.

I've no idea if there is a formal process for publishing such recordings, but anyone attending ought to realise what goes on is not confidential in any way.

Most court hearings are public, but cannot be broadcast for reasons I won't bore you with.

This leads to the situation where you can legally see and hear things by sitting in the public gallery, which you cannot legally see on a video recording.

Going back to the meeting, I see the bloke bellowing about standing orders is relatively young, so it's not all stupid oldies.

However, local authorities are composed mostly of people of retirement age, thought to be because younger people are too busy with careers and families.

OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Parish Councils have been around for a while so I assume there is discussion to be had and decisions to make for the good of the parish.
And entirely reasonable that there are public elections for places on such a council.
@Arrowfoot You may think that 30 year olds would be better than 70 year olds but not many wish to expend effort on that, so those in the 'later' cohort with time and probably decades of allegiance to their community volunteer.
@Beebo : "I presume Jackie has only been called to the meeting because this sort of bullying behaviour has got out of hand."
We don't know this. Aiui the inability to have meetings since March had meant there was parish business which needed to be done and there was a long-standing factional conflict moving from simmer to boil in the council.
Aiui Weaver had offered/volunteered to carry out the duties of 'Clerk' ie enabler for the elected councillors to get stuff done (and presumably taking and writing up the minutes) and was e-capable. I suggest gratuitous exclusion of members from a meeting is itself 'bullying'. The Chairman (presumably elected by the council at some stage) asked for confirmation that he would not be excluded by unilateral action of the person with the buttons, referring to the standing orders which specify who has the power to exclude. Weaver could have said 'I shall not exclude anyone' but did not give the Chairman the assurance sought. He then failed to keep his frustration under control fearing presciently that she would act ultra vires.
Just shows that one person's bullying is another person's adherence to standing orders, and one person's unilateral no-platforming is another person's bullying.
@SheilaH "A wall of aging gammon trying to bully a woman" I don't see this in man/woman terms. If Weaver had been male and behaved in the way she did, I would have expected no different outcome, ceteris paribus.
When playing Monopoly it really pays to know the rules. Being the banker also confers potential for 'winning'. In this simile (or is it metaphor) Weaver was the banker with her hands on the $100 notes.

Last edited:
Parish Councils have been around for a while so I assume there is discussion to be had and decisions to make for the good of the parish.
And entirely reasonable that there are public elections for places on such a council.
@Arrowfoot You may think that 30 year olds would be better than 70 year olds but not many wish to expend effort on that, so those in the 'later' cohort with time and probably decades of allegiance to their community volunteer.
@Beebo : "I presume Jackie has only been called to the meeting because this sort of bullying behaviour has got out of hand."
We don't know this. Aiui the inability to have meetings since March had meant there was parish business which needed to be done and there was a long-standing factional conflict moving from simmer to boil in the council.
Aiui Weaver had offered/volunteered to carry out the duties of 'Clerk' ie enabler for the elected councillors to get stuff done (and presumably taking and writing up the minutes) and was e-capable. I suggest gratuitous exclusion of members from a meeting is itself 'bullying'. The Chairman (presumably elected by the council at some stage) asked for confirmation that he would not be excluded by unilateral action of the person with the buttons, referring to the standing orders which specify who has the power to exclude. Weaver could have said 'I shall not exclude anyone' but did not give the Chairman the assurance sought. He then failed to keep his frustration under control fearing presciently that she would act ultra vires.
Just shows that one person's bullying is another person's adherence to standing orders, and one person's unilateral no-platforming is another person's bullying.
When playing Monopoly it really pays to know the rules. Being the banker also confers potential for 'winning'. In this simile (or is it metaphor) Weaver was the banker with her hands on the $100 notes.
May be of interest in your points re the legalities.

https://davidallengreen.com/2021/02...icy-of-that-handforth-parish-council-meeting/