"You have no authority, Jackie Weaver"

Randomnerd

Formerly known as Woodenspoons
Find myself agreeing with @Ajax Bay. She’s got them all by the ginganggoolies, with her finger on the button. Can’t see how proper business can be Zoomed, but then I’ve only Zoomed once.
Parish council - thankless task. Pity it’s left to coffin-dodgers in the main, but few vital bodies seem inclined to sit and chat about dog faeces and grit bins.
Our lot have a grit bin subcommittee, and we live in the flattest bit of England you could find. Couldnt make it up.;)

OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thanks rt. Did read before starting thread.
Our lot have a grit bin subcommittee, and we live in the flattest bit of England you could find. Couldn't make it up
Yes, I liked the later bit about whether they 'had the power' to establish a sub-committee of the working group etc etc.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The footage was published by a 16 year old lad who likes watching Parish Council online meetings :smile:

Done properly, PCs can achieve a lot - we have in our village, but yes, there are typically a couple standing agenda items: dog shoot and speeding.

ETA - and both of the above typically perpetrated on Parishioners by other Parishioners (well, the canine chums of one, anyway)

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
I haven't watched it - I've attended far too many uncomfortable meetings - and I'm sure it's grimly funny. But is this sort of shaming really fair to the participants? I suspect they all thought they were just doing what was best for the town and didn't expect their embarrassment to be plastered all over the internet.

Someone should be getting their knuckles rapped for the leak.
You really should have watched it before commenting. If you then had any sympathy with the participants.......

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Jackie Weaver's public response has been very astute, showing a firm grasp of the subject and a sense of humour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-55946252

OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
The footage was published by a 16 year old lad who likes watching Parish Council online meetings
If this is true I hope he working hard to get his GCSEs and A levels, and go on to greater things eg national government.
Just think how much better some members of parliament might be if they'd had local government experience (some have; most haven't).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Parish councils have little practical authority, so in some respects this type of all too common behaviour is relatively harmless.

However, I've seem similar behaviour at meetings of Durham County Council, which has a budget of more than a billion pounds of public money.

Also worth bearing in mind membership of both parish councils and councils further up the chain is common.

Thus it's likely at least some of the clowns at Handforth are also members of councils with real responsibility.

dodgy

Legendary Member
Pensioners with time on their hands so they meddle in Parish council matters. IF they have this much time on their hands, how about learn how to use a microphone and bloody webcam properly, quite important skills this day and age.