"You have no authority, Jackie Weaver"

midlife

Guru
The Start of Football Focus was a skit of the council video with the presenters cut into the YouTube video. Including Jackie Weaver and others.

If you hadn't seen the council video it must have been a very strange start indeed!

OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Not a watcher of 'Football Focus' but this rag link comes up, reporting a twatterspat (edit: June 2020):
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11912622/dan-walker-gary-lineker-swearing-motd/
Walker is obviously 'harder' than he looks: even 'bullying' the old bloke who "likes swearing - it can add emphasis".
Neither presenter was the swearer (a Zoom malfunction moment of an interviewee) btw.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Start of Football Focus was a skit of the council video with the presenters cut into the YouTube video. Including Jackie Weaver and others.

If you hadn't seen the council video it must have been a very strange start indeed!
When we - Tottenham - played Marine, our players were asked to change in a function room.

Lineker quipped that our player Reguilon had already inquired about making a booking.

The player had recently been quite properly slagged off for going to a Covid breaching party with his mates.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Parish councils have little practical authority, so in some respects this type of all too common behaviour is relatively harmless.

However, I've seem similar behaviour at meetings of Durham County Council, which has a budget of more than a billion pounds of public money.

Also worth bearing in mind membership of both parish councils and councils further up the chain is common.

Thus it's likely at least some of the clowns at Handforth are also members of councils with real responsibility.
Mr Burkhill is a long term independent borough councillor in Handforth and the mayor of Cheshire East. I have to be honest, I was rather disappointed he was involved albeit not as one of the main protagonists. Whilst he is a couple of miles away from where I am, there has been a real hope that the growing number of independents in the wider CE area might have put an end to the thiefdom that the previous incumbent political party had setup for themselves after many years of unchallenged rule, and whose ultimate incompetence and arrogance had led CE to be viewed as one of the most rotten boroughs in the UK.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mr Burkhill is a long term independent borough councillor in Handforth and the mayor of Cheshire East. I have to be honest, I was rather disappointed he was involved albeit not as one of the main protagonists. Whilst he is a couple of miles away from where I am, there has been a real hope that the growing number of independents in the wider CE area might have put an end to the thiefdom that the previous incumbent political party had setup for themselves after many years of unchallenged rule, and whose ultimate incompetence and arrogance had led CE to be viewed as one of the most rotten boroughs in the UK.
A little local knowledge, as ever, is invaluable.

It seems to me fiefdoms are quite common in local authorities, particularly where one party enjoys a large majority.

City of Sunderland council is nearly all Labour.

I've seen the handful of Tories literally shouted down, often by the Labour lot making baying and mooing noises.

Amusing in a grim sort of way, but not healthy or desirable, even if you are a Labour supporter.

I've told a few Labour supporters they would have a better Labour council if they elected a few more Tories.

It's a numbers game - an effective opposition would stand a better chance of preventing the worst excesses of the Labour fiefdom.

stowie

Legendary Member
Having far too often said embarrassing things in meetings and been embarrassed for other people's faux pas I will always have sympathy with the participants in a meeting clusterfark.
I think most people will remember meetings they prefer to forget. But this one was rather special.

Jackie Weaver is the chief officer of Chesire Association of Local Councils according to the BBC. She conducted the meeting with a stoicism and patience only obtained after decades of troubleshooting these types of local council discussions with these types of characters. She also appeared the "The Last Leg" last night. She was very, very funny and seems to approaching her new found global fame as she does her job.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not a watcher of 'Football Focus' but this rag link comes up, reporting a twatterspat (edit: June 2020):
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11912622/dan-walker-gary-lineker-swearing-motd/
Walker is obviously 'harder' than he looks: even 'bullying' the old bloke who "likes swearing - it can add emphasis".
Neither presenter was the swearer (a Zoom malfunction moment of an interviewee) btw.
Dan Walker is an Evangelical Christian who won't work on Sundays so that may have played a part.

lane

Veteran
Our Parish Council has had its issues lately. There are a married couple in the villages who are quite well regarded and do a lot for the community, run the Facebook page, help with the food bank, tidy up damage in the park and other things. They were elected onto the Council for one of main parties (I voted for them even though it is not a party I support). However they resigned when the Council refused to fly the pride flags the Council had already purchased. They then led a campaign to get local people to fly their own pride flags and there were a lot displayed in the village. Got a lot of local and even some national media attention. It didn't reflect well on the PC who looked to be run by a lot of out of touch old people.

Subsequently it came to light that a member of the Parish Council had produced records of a meeting that didn't happen, to avoid disqualification for not attending meetings. This was discovered when one of the people who had signed to say they were at the meeting was found to be on holiday at the time. There was a report from the monitoring officer which basically said he should resign. There was a meeting to discuss the report but he refused to resign. Of course this was well discussed on the local Facebook page and there was a link to watch the meeting live.

There has been some other stuff too.

There is now a lot of scrutiny of the PC via the Facebook and led by the couple who resigned from the PC with much active discussion among the community. I imagine this is fairly uncomfortable for the PC who were no doubt used to transacting business with very little scrutiny in years gone by with the same people being elected for years. I think come the local elections we will get a few independents to vote for.

When the various councilors resigned they would normally have been replaced by co-option. However enough people objected to prevent this happening.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

Here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55958923

Our Parish Council has had its issues lately. There are a married couple in the villages who are quite well regarded and do a lot for the community, run the Facebook page, help with the food bank, tidy up damage in the park and other things. They were elected onto the Council for one of main parties (I voted for them even though it is not a party I support). However they resigned when the Council refused to fly the pride flags the Council had already purchased. They then led a campaign to get local people to fly their own pride flags and there were a lot displayed in the village. Got a lot of local and even some national media attention. It didn't reflect well on the PC who looked to be run by a lot of out of touch old people.

Subsequently it came to light that a member of the Parish Council had produced records of a meeting that didn't happen, to avoid disqualification for not attending meetings. This was discovered when one of the people who had signed to say they were at the meeting was found to be on holiday at the time. There was a report from the monitoring officer which basically said he should resign. There was a meeting to discuss the report but he refused to resign. Of course this was well discussed on the local Facebook page and there was a link to watch the meeting live.

There has been some other stuff too.

There is now a lot of scrutiny of the PC via the Facebook and led by the couple who resigned from the PC with much active discussion among the community. I imagine this is fairly uncomfortable for the PC who were no doubt used to transacting business with very little scrutiny in years gone by with the same people being elected for years. I think come the local elections we will get a few independents to vote for.

When the various councilors resigned they would normally have been replaced by co-option. However enough people objected to prevent this happening.
One thing that bothers me about Parish Councils is why on earth do people stand as Labour, Tory or whatever for these little organisations? Totally OTT and meaningless, except in their petty minds, and encourages this sort of squabbling.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We had a councillor who hadn't attended a meeting for two years.

He had a good excuse, he was living in Barbados - while still drawing his allowance of about £12k a year.

As ever, the matter was (eventually) dealt with, but with no sanction on the councillor other than a forced resignation.

If I drew £24k in public money under false pretences, I'd expect to meet a judge in his professional capacity.

We had a councillor who hadn't attended a meeting for two years.

He had a good excuse, he was living in Barbados - while still drawing his allowance of about £12k a year.

As ever, the matter was (eventually) dealt with, but with no sanction on the councillor other than a forced resignation.

If I drew £24k in public money under false pretences, I'd expect to meet a judge in his professional capacity.
I assume that was a town or city councillor rather than a parish councillor.

lane

Veteran
One thing that bothers me about Parish Councils is why on earth do people stand as Labour, Tory or whatever for these little organisations? Totally OTT and meaningless, except in their petty minds, and encourages this sort of squabbling.
Funny thing was, when I voted for the couple it was because they had a track record of doing a lot for the community. But Mrs lane was horrified and wouldn't vote for them because of the party they were standing for and especially Brexit. My view the PC would have little input into Brexit and so far I seem to have been correct.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A little local knowledge, as ever, is invaluable.

It seems to me fiefdoms are quite common in local authorities, particularly where one party enjoys a large majority.

City of Sunderland council is nearly all Labour.

I've seen the handful of Tories literally shouted down, often by the Labour lot making baying and mooing noises.

Amusing in a grim sort of way, but not healthy or desirable, even if you are a Labour supporter.

I've told a few Labour supporters they would have a better Labour council if they elected a few more Tories.

It's a numbers game - an effective opposition would stand a better chance of preventing the worst excesses of the Labour fiefdom.
Unfortunately you see it in both sides of the political spectrum and at the highest levels. I seem to recall the back benchers in the original Spitting Image were sheep baaing. The treatment of MP's from minority parties is quite often akin to full on bullying. A shame as they often have sensible and worthwhile contributions to make. In a utopia I would ban political parties and make it compulsory for ministers to have a working knowledge of the areas they are responsible for. However it will never happen and they will continue to tow their party lines at all levels wether sensible, nice or not like the flock of sheep they mimic so well. :rolleyes:

Last edited: