You have the "Pulse and Heart Rate of an athlete!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Well, the blinding, debilitating headaches got too much for me yesterday and I went to see an out of hours Doc, she confirmed I have a viral infection, gave me some drugs and pack me on my way, but when we was doing all the std checks, she did my Blood pressure etc and said are you Athletic ? because You have the "Pulse and Heart Rate of an athlete!"

Cant tell you how much that cheered me up, still feel RUBBISH today tho LOL

fimm

Veteran
:bravo: :wahhey:

You'll be obsessing about how low you can get your resting heart rate next ;) . Hope the infection sorts itself out - and DON'T TRAIN untill you feel better.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hope the infection sorts itself out - and DON'T TRAIN untill you feel better.
A very good point. Knowing Gaz's determination and how frustrated he would be having to cut right back on the cycling, I'd almost bet on him not doing that!

I'd go further. Gaz - don't train until you feel better, and then wait another 3 or 4 days to really let your body recover. Check your resting heart rate and wait for it to drop to it's normal level - it will probably be elevated while you are ill.

I know from very scary personal experience what getting back on the bike too soon can do to a poorly body - I did that once and ended up blacking out for 20 minutes at the side of the road! That taught me to listen to my body and respect it. Rest when Ill, and then rest to recover!

PS Gaz - you mentioned elsewhere that you have been going crazy knocking back too many (non-alcoholic) drinks. I linked to a Wikipedia article about Water Intoxication. Did you read it? One of the symptoms of WI is headaches. They come before the painful death bit, so I'd take the possibility of that seriously and keep the fluid intake under control in future!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
A very good point. Knowing Gaz's determination and how frustrated he would be having to cut right back on the cycling, I'd almost bet on him not doing that!

I'd go further. Gaz - don't train until you feel better, and then wait another 3 or 4 days to really let your body recover. Check your resting heart rate and wait for it to drop to it's normal level - it will probably be elevated while you are ill.

I know from very scary personal experience what getting back on the bike too soon can do to a poorly body - I did that once and ended up blacking out for 20 minutes at the side of the road! That taught me to listen to my body and respect it. Rest when Ill, and then rest to recover!

PS Gaz - you mentioned elsewhere that you have been going crazy knocking back too many (non-alcoholic) drinks. I linked to a Wikipedia article about Water Intoxication. Did you read it? One of the symptoms of WI is headaches. They come before the painful death bit, so I'd take the possibility of that seriously and keep the fluid intake under control in future!

As always Colin SOUND Advice, and as always I will read, digest and then go and over train again :-)

I have not cycled since last Tuesday, This time is different, I think understanding food and my disorder better has lead me to lose a few pounds while being off the bike, this gives me much heart TBH, I wont rush back, like every other time. (Maybe)

Your water intoxication link at the time didn't really make me think too much, however, knowing what I know now VS then, I believe that the infection I have, has been brewing for a while , the drinking and drinking of liquids I believe was a by product of the infection and then added to that I might well have suffered mild WI.

I learn a little more every day, I got by from beating the crap outta myself day in day out, but the more I learn, the more efficient I become, at everything , still got a LONG ways to go yet tho.

Gaz

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Our work runs a free health check and the the nurse checked mine a few months back.

The readings were so low that she thought the machine was faulty. She got another machine and the results were the same. I had a rest heartbeat of 54 - athletes are in the 40-60 zone and 'normal' people are typically high 60s and above.

I was dead chuffed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Our work runs a free health check and the the nurse checked mine a few months back.

The readings were so low that she thought the machine was faulty. She got another machine and the results were the same. I had a rest heartbeat of 54 - athletes are in the 40-60 zone and 'normal' people are typically high 60s and above.

I was dead chuffed.
At one time, I was checking my RHR regularly and discovered that mine was really low. I was slim at the time and very fit. As soon as I put weight on and did less exercise, it went back up. I also found that being ill could add 30-plus bpm to it.

What I couldn't understand was why my pulse rate at rest was always exactly 40 bpm, never 41 or 39 or some other number. Later, I discovered that my heart rate monitor only went down to 40 bpm. It simply would not display a lower figure. I bought a different monitor and discovered that my RHR was typically 33 or 34 bpm!

That would be lying down in bed when I first woke up and when I was fully relaxed. Sitting upright raised it to about 40 bpm and any kind of movement or thinking about anything stressful would add quite a few more bpm to the figure.

I think I should probably get a medical bracelet made with my RHR engraved on it. I don't want a paramedic zapping my heart if I get knocked out in some minor accident and they think my heart is packing up!

rusky

CC Addict
Did you tell her you used to weigh 39st?!?
biggrin.gif

Tynan

Veteran
me too

and an enlarged left ventricle and low blood pressure

so it's not necessarily all good

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.

So im feeling APPROX 50% better, this is normally the time where I crack open the bike and smash 50 odd miles at an average of 90% MHR

and this time, I have not done that, my weight is stable, so thats one thing thats not stressing me, but I have to admit, I keep looking at my bikes, longing for them, this is the time where I REALLY need to avoid them, I just hope I can

Top Bottom