You know its properly wet when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Blimey, did you take a wrong turn and ride through a river?

PK99

Legendary Member
woke at 8am: P*ssing down = "I'll give Wayfarers a miss today"

9am : sunshine and clear whether coming in = "Hell, let's do it!

9:30 = set out for quick dash to Cobham to meet up

Fine till about 12 then stair rods.

Dry in the pub

After lunch more stair rods

Then dry!

Passing Denbies on the cycle track "Um, not too bad after all" = Cue lorry on the adjacent road going through puddle and giving me the full head to toe treatment. It's now pr0perly wet!

potsy

Rambler
Last 2 days have commuted in the dry:bravo:must be some kind of record for the North.
Thank fook November is over,what a crap month that was.:sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

You can't beat variety? Tuesday morn -2, frosty and still, Tues night still very cold and windy, Wed morn warm with wet road, windy but not raining, wed night light wind, warm and p****** down. Haven't got a clue as to what to wear half the time.

A word of caution. Lots of people had fun riding through the 2007 Hull floods.
Lots of people went to bike shops to have bikes repaired.
Oil everything afterwards.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Piemaster said:
A word of caution. Lots of people had fun riding through the 2007 Hull floods.
Lots of people went to bike shops to have bikes repaired.
Oil everything afterwards.

My bike is going in for its six-week service after purchasing this morning. Timing is everything! :biggrin:

Norm

Kaipaith said:
My bike is going in for its six-week service after purchasing this morning. Timing is everything! :rolleyes:
Something the service probably won't pick up is the grease in your pedals. I had to rebuild mine after I spent too much of the summer riding through a ford locally. No grease left in one side and the bearings starting to look a little orange.

What Piemaster said. If your hubs and B/B are submerged you're looking for trouble. Pedals are more likely to resist short immersion but even so, especially if they're expensive pedals, it may be wise to strip them down afterwards.

I went through a significant flood last Sunday. My B/B just escaped immersion (I hope!) but certainly the chain and lower jockey of the derailleur were under water. Those are easy to clean and oil, though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Beware, not just because of the oiling issue. When roads flood to that extent, drain covers can lift up with the force of water coming up, and you can't always see through murky water to the road surface. You really don't want a wheel to go down an unexpected hole.

Not to mention any slippy silt that might have been washed onto the surface. I'm a wimp and won't ride through anything I can't see the bottom of clearly....

(I'm sure you were careful Kaipath, not having a go, just warning others...)

The drain thing applies to walking through floods too, of course, people have died falling down exposed drains... Even in a road you know, you may not have a clear idea of where drains and gratings are.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Arch said:
(I'm sure you were careful Kaipath, not having a go, just warning others...)

No, its a fair point worth making. However this was, if anything a different sort of flood... it doesn't come from below, but from "above" - a run off from pig fields flowing across the road onto the fields below.

Kaipaith said:
No, its a fair point worth making. However this was, if anything a different sort of flood... it doesn't come from below, but from "above" - a run off from pig fields flowing across the road onto the fields below.

Think I'd be looking for an alternative route :evil:

marooncat

Cases like this is when I wish I did not change to clipless pedals. With the standard ones I got up a good speed before water feature and went through it with my legs lifting up... however this is harder to do with clipless :sad:

Top Bottom