You know that feeling something isn't quite right ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Wow, that's impressive.

No point asking how the bike is but are you okay? What happened? You must have been putting some power through!

My recommendation - anything other than the make you already have. What is it BTW?

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats the first time I've seen a frame fail like that, I hope you didn't do yourself to much damage.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ouch! Looks like that's been cracking for a while.

New bike time. Want one of these?

DSCF5552.JPG

OP
OP
Alien8

Alien8

Senior Moment
I am guessing that was not 'quiet' at all.

Good point.

But yes, thought there seemed a bit of extra flex for a mile or two - even stopped to check the rear wheel was ok.

Managed to unclip and get my foot down so no damage to me at all.

Must be my legs of steel - which coincidentally might be my next choice for frame material.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Yes it's a good idea to check your frame regularly, especially if it's alloy and if it's getting on a bit.

I bought a 2007 frame which I rode for two years before I discovered a crack in the welds of the head tube. At first I thought it was nothing more than elaborate scratch in the paintwork, until it started to get larger and larger.

After reading some horror stories about alloy frames failing spectacularly without warning, I kept a very close eye on the next frame I bought - a 2005 model.

Sure enough, after only three months, it started to develop a crack around (and across) the BB weld, which got alarmingly bigger as the days went on.

I've been scared off alloy now (at least 2nd hand) and replaced it with a brand new steel frame.

Top Bottom