You know who and the wotsit party

U

User6179

Whataboutery.
Nope, I was simply asking a question, both are similar types of over the top comparisons, I just wondered how you could find one offensive and not the other?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This whole "that offends me" thing is getting ridiculous. She was using a very loose metaphor. People have been referencing despicable historical events like wars and atrocities for years. It does not always mean that you are trivialising them. For example, "This is a war on fat" as some people on health and fitness shows have said. It doesn't mean that we forget and trivialise all the people that suffered during actual wars.

U

User6179

What Bromptonaut says:

As you wanted the exact words, this is from a quote in the Guardian (I'm not sitting through the video again).
“There is a pattern consistent throughout history of oppressed people turning on their oppressors, slaves against their owners, the peasantry against the feudal barons, colonies against empires, and that is why Britain is leaving …

She is likening Leave voters to slaves turning on their owners, as if the [non-existent] oppression we suffer at the hands of the EU* is equivalent to the way slaves were treated.

*you know, oppression like limiting maximum working hours, having clean beaches and air, etc.
She is not likening leave voters to slaves, sorry you know that is just silly.

U

User6179

This whole "that offends me" thing is getting ridiculous. She was using a very loose metaphor. People have been referencing despicable historical events like wars and atrocities for years. It does not always mean that you are trivialising them. For example, "This is a war on fat" as some people on health and fitness shows have said. It doesn't mean that we forget and trivialise all the people that suffered during actual wars.
You will not get many likes on here for that post, hysterical catastrophizing and offence is all some live for on here, see the main Brexit thread.

fido

Veteran
My Nan used to go a bit weird like that at family gatherings after a few drinks. My Dad would put an arm around her and gently guide her towards the car and take her home.

It's hard to be offended though. I feel a bit sorry for her. Somebody should gently guide her....etc.

My Nan was bitter, spiteful and full of ill-informed prejudice as well.

Top Bottom