You know who and the wotsit party

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Rusty Nails, 20 May 2019.

1. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

And yet, when hear no evil, see no evil, hold sway, the speak no evil part doesn't seem to apply.

raleighnut likes this.
  2. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

That's an odd thing to say.
    If we carry on the way we're going I think we're all going to be losers. But with regards to Widdecombe, she meant what she said, that's all, it's not about winners or losers, I'm just repeating what she said.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2019
  3. stowie

stowie Guru

The problem with the Brexit thread is that pro-Brexit posters are asked to justify assertions or get called out when they repost stuff they found on facebook with absolutely no fact checking at all.

It is clearly insulting to ask for clarity or justification on people's opinions or "facts".

R_nger, perplexed, winjim and 3 others like this.
  4. Eddy

Eddy Guru

I dont actually care what you call brexiters, thick, racist, etc other than if I was to talk about remainers the same way then there would be a problem, its the hypocrisy of posters on here, selective outrage is just pathetic.

5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I don't think 'brexiteers' are thick (Ok some are racist but ho-hum) but they've believed all the rhetoric about Britain's troubles being caused by the EU when it is blatantly obvious that it is successive British Governments that have brought this once great country to it's knees. :cursing:

6. Edwardoka

Edwardoka Facetious Waffler

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Again, just to make it extra clear for those skim-reading, you're the one who mentioned being thick and racist. Would sir care for some ketchup?

raleighnut likes this.
  7. LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

Yes.

raleighnut likes this.
  8. LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

Thanks I’ll have to check what she said and get back to you. Here’s hoping it wasn’t bbc gotcha journalism.

9. LinchPin

LinchPin Veteran

It’s as I feared the journalist didn’t seem to comprehend what was being said.

Eddy likes this.
  10. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Gotcha journalism with Widdecombe these days consists of putting a microphone near her! Plot, lost.

On oppression, I'll bet the BXP will continue UKIP's policy of revoking national and regional autonomy and Westminster doing everything. With UKIP's manifesto author as one of BXP's four actual members, it'll be astonishing if it doesn't.

C R likes this.
  11. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

In which case I'd like someone to extract the fingers from Widdy's ears and open her eyes so that she can justify with a straight face why she said the stupid things she did.

I suspect she set out to annoy by saying something provocative she knows is untrue and hyperbolic. In that she succeeded. But she also succeeded in casting a light on the lie, which will have significantly undermined its strength.

The Crofted Crest likes this.
  12. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

That's a bit meta, isn't it? Here's her original comment:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

Oops sorry easily confused! Here it is:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HOwRhkWpnuI

"It doesn't matter which language you use" seems rather at odds with all the later language-lawyering over her comments. She compared the UK to a colony of the EU empire, a slave of the EU baron, rather than the truth that the UK is one of the co-creators of it. She is denying history, failing to learn from it and probably dooming us to repeat the 60s/70s "sick man of Europe" period.

Not that she'll care as she'll have had her thousands of pounds and probably be pushing up daisies when those chickens come home to roost!

Also a bit odd to mention fishing when the fishing organisation NUTFA are all over the news this morning saying how damaging Brexit is going to be to our fishing fleets. Trying to muddy the waters?

Edwardoka, Mugshot and raleighnut like this.
  13. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

She does appear to have changed her mind somewhat;

2008, we live in a free country -
    "However, none of this is to say that we should not welcome genuine asylum seekers. We live in safety; we will walk out of this place tonight without fear of arrest or persecution because, even under this Government who try to police everything, we still live in a reasonably free country. We should remember that, but that is not to say that we should ever tolerate the consistent and growing abuse of our system, which does a disservice not only to the indigenous community, but to those who are welcome here and who seek to join us on a lawful basis." (My bold)

It appears it was our own government not the EU that could and did pass laws to oppress us, but she certainly thought we were free in 2005. Oppress/stop you beating children, whatever -
    "The Bill is the latest in the long line of oppressive measures that has come out of this Government. However, this one is especially dangerous. At the end of the last Parliament, we passed a Bill that managed to prohibit us even from smacking a naughty child without some busybody turning up with a magnifying glass to see whether that had left a mark. This Bill will curtail not action, but the free expression of thought, which has always been the underlying tenet of our democracy. It did not matter whether one was a fascist or a communist, whether one was a militant evangelical street preacher or a militant atheist, or whether one was a carefully spoken professor of philosophy at Oxford or Alf Garnett, because whoever one was and whatever one thought, one was able to express those thoughts freely. One did not have to work out what someone else might think of those thoughts and decide what to do about them several stages down the line."

In 1992 Widdy was happy to tell us how fab the UK was when compared to the rest of Europe, odd for a country shackled by its oppressors to have such freedom to make its own laws surely? -
    "I am delighted that the hon. Gentleman appears to be saying that the Labour party draws its policy from Tory pressure groups. Far from Britain's pensioners being the worst-off in Europe, they are among the best-off. Is the hon. Gentleman aware that only Britain and Spain supply free prescriptions to pensioners; that in any study of pensioners on half-average earnings, Britain's pensioners come out first or second; and that, unlike some other countries in Europe, we do not take into account children's income when assessing pensioners' rights? Should not the hon. Gentleman be ashamed? I recommend that he reads the good article that appeared in yesterday's Sunday Express."

Anyway, that's enough of that, I feel quite dirty having looked through some of that muck.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2019
  14. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

Here's the interview for you;

View: https://youtu.be/yxlh3BhaGbU

15. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

View: https://youtu.be/PhfbYtbpNxY

Mugshot likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice