You know you're getting old when.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You get a personally addressed letter from McCarthy & Stone Retirement Lifestyles, asking if you'd like to move into their new assisted living development.

They'll even pay all my service charges for ten years if I complete by August, I assume they're banking on me not lasting more than two or three.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Write back and ask them if they offer secure bike storage in their appartments?

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Actually, after Wednesday's decidedly chilly club run a game of bingo and WW2 themed sing-a-long in a nice warm community lounge sounds quite appealing!

perplexed

Guru
I once had a few letters (personally addressed, not generic) from the builders of a new retirement "village". They were to offer me the "opportunity" to secure an apartment in one of their new developments.

Facilities included, if I recall:

24 hour wardens on site
Assisted living.
Help with bathing.
Visiting hairdresser.
Extra wide doors for wheelchairs.
Regular visiting doctor.
Alarm/panic buttons.
Carer visits.
Grab rails/ramps.
Community lounge.

I wouldn't have minded so much, but I was in my late 30's at the time...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I once had a few letters (personally addressed, not generic) from the builders of a new retirement "village". They were to offer me the "opportunity" to secure an apartment in one of their new developments.

24 hour wardens on site
Assisted living.
Help with bathing.
Visiting hairdresser.
Regular visiting doctor.
Alarm/panic buttons.
Carer visits.
Grab rails/ramps.
Community lounge.

I'd be upset if I needed that lot in my late 70s!

tyred

Legendary Member
I was listening to the "golden oldies" programme on the local radio station on Saturday while working in the garage and I found myself going "what they playing that for, I remember it in the charts?" to most of the songs. Then I realised these songs were from the mid to late '80s and almost 30 years ago and I am on way to old fogeydom:cry:

It's only an old song if it was first released prior to the late 1970s:stop:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ah, but do you think he has:
24 hour wardens on site
Assisted living.
Help with bathing.
Visiting hairdresser.
Regular visiting doctor.
Alarm/panic buttons.
Carer visits.
Grab rails/ramps.
Community lounge.

in his mansion?

Maybe he had some of them when he was married to the lovely Heather.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

24 hour wardens on site
Assisted living.
Help with bathing.
Visiting hairdresser.
Regular visiting doctor.
Alarm/panic buttons.
Carer visits.
Grab rails/ramps.
Community lounge.

Better than one with diarrhoea I suppose.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
When the council invites you to something like this...

Senior+moments.jpg

I was so annoyed about the council's housing people using database information to patronise me that I forgot to go. It's an invitation to a senility seminar next....

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
You get a personally addressed letter from McCarthy & Stone Retirement Lifestyles, asking if you'd like to move into their new assisted living development.
After visiting one of their developments, I started getting these a few years ago .....

... because it was a possibility for my ageing Mother.

M&S (the RL ones !!! ;) ) couldn't seem to understand that it wasn't for myself and my wife. I didn't think we looked that old :sad: (at the time :unsure:).

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
It can be a bit disturbing unsettling amusing reading the council's Leisure Activities programme.

Their 'Leisure Activities' (for a Healthy Lifestyle, of course :laugh:) for the over-50's seem to centre on aquarobics or wave-your-arms-while-gently-swaying-in-a-gym - with a cup of tea afterwards :cuppa: !!!

Nothing about a 200k audax :bicycle: , though, so I don't go along :sad:.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I remember painting the stage at the theatre behind the curtains while the 'old folks tea dance' was on. It started off with Vera Lynn and Glen Miller and I was quite enjoying the music while I painted. Then it switched to 50's rock and roll!
I had to have a peak through the curtains and there were the OAPs jiving and swinging each other about.
I guess it won't be long before OAPs will be 'tea dancing' to Trance and Drum and Bass.

I recently got spam email inviting me to join 'meetseniorsdating.com' or something similar.:angry:

Top Bottom