YouGov poll re novel suggestion for wiping out some student's debts.

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by SpokeyDokey, 30 Jun 2019.

?
  1. Support

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Oppose

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

In terms of what'll happen with 2.1s and 1sts being more and more common...

Also in Psychology a 'thing' there is to put high 2.1 68%, on your CV. You see it all the time. Someone looking at the CV might think people are being pretentious arses, but it's completely standard in the subject due to the requirement of chartered psychologist doctorates requiring it. A low or mid 2.1 is seen as you are fooked. A 2.2 means you have to do an MSc and get a distinction and pray who you are talking to isn't that bothered etc.

I don't know whether this is happening in other subjects. One thing I noticed going back to uni is in undergraduate master's is there is more pressure to tell someone your grade than when I was an undergrad. In the past the del boys could get away with a wink and say yeah but it's a master's mate, innit. No, no, what grade did you get? Even come across the odd engineering student telling you their pass/merit/distinction on the MSc :wacko:.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey Nearly 63 - oh dear! Moderator

Thanks for that.

Interesting re the disparity between Firsts & Seconds with the former earning less due to going into more prestigious (?) careers but with slightly lower pay.

My neighbours returned from the US last week having gone out there to see there son receive his PhD in Astrophysics - he is now embarking on obtaining his Associate Professorship and they remarked that they wished he was entering the private sector as opposed to staying in academia. Although I don't think the salaries in academia in the US are too shabby they are probably not a patch on the private sector.

Over here there are a few good stories amongst my circle of friends etc (not sure of exact name of the degrees taken as there are umpteen sub-variations these days)::

Female, 2.1 Marketing, age 22, first role last year at £17k (low but very local to home) who starts a new role in Manchester in September on a Fast Track Graduate Program at £29k plus some very good benefits.

Male, 2.1 Finance/Economics (boyfriend of above), age 21, first role £22k, again on a 2 year FTGP. Salary accelerates very rapidly by all accounts.

Female, First Microbiology, age 23, £37k + car + support re MSc employed by a major global food manufacturer. 1200 applicants for the one role so every credit to her.

Female, First Medicine, age 28 now doing her first year in a local GP practice and will be fully fledged after 1 year. Not sure of her salary but it won't be too shabby.

Nice to hear of some successes in the graduate employment marketplace.

3. marinyork

Getting an academic role in astronomy is cool, so difficult.

The earnings quoted for under 30s are 21-29 and normally there's a lot of difference between someone 21 and someone who's 28 or 29. I wouldn't call it a success, compare that the figures for some groups are actually fairly close. I found the article interesting for the comments about earnings for black people and women with masters' degrees.

I come across quite a few so called STEM Russell Group 2.1 students, nearly always male who are unemployed for a few months to a couple of years and then underemployed after that. Just seen a splurge leave who haven't got things lined up, yet. It's interesting to me because in 2019 the advice for STEM seems to be get one good quality internship and chuck all of your eggs in one basket, high risk stuff. Seems bonkers to me as when I graduated internships were just coming in in a big way and some people like me were very sceptical about them and more people are today. I do wonder whether this advice is leading to a lot of problems. In Psychology it is the opposite, the microdoping CV. You leave aged 21 with 10-15 short experiences in a wide variety. You then get on something like a PWP, as a trainee high earnings at £21k a year. Or an AP. Most end up in support worker.

4. marinyork

Just been graduations here. We believe where I volunteer there had only been 4 people in around a decade that had Psychology firsts. Although as I said a lot of people put 'high 2.1' down. At least two volunteers leaving have just got firsts and another applicant to volunteer. Have to see if this is more noticeable in future years. I'm told by someone on social media that it's definitely quite visible this year.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey Nearly 63 - oh dear! Moderator

Early days - will be interesting to see how the trend continues.

6. marinyork

I think the media/public can take time to spot trends. Understandable. I reckon if it does happen in about five year's time people will be saying bloody students, loads of them get firsts and then the cheeky blighters go on to do a master's degree :laugh::notworthy:!

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice