Your dream tour.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
What do you have at the back of your mind as a dream tour? I love to have a destination rather than just amble. I am thinking "if I got laid off and had a couple of months to head off?" where would I go?

No 1 would be "Cycle to Africa". I live near Portsmouth, so ferry over, then cycle down to Algerciras and a one nighter in Tangiers. That would sound good to me!

No 2 Across the USA

No 3 same as No1 but Cycle to Africa AND Asia. Go to Tangiers, then head to Istanbul. Possibly then cycle home

In reserve - Pacific Coast Canada to Mexico
In 2nd reserve, LEJOG

What are yours?

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
'DREAM' tour....well ok then..

1) A bottomless pit of money
2) My tent would have TARDIS properties and be huge on the inside but small outside..it might also have Billy piper in it.
3) It would never rain, no headwinds or hills and the sun would shine when i asked it to.
4) My bike would never break down
5) Inside the tardis tent would be a top class kitchen with a top class chef and somebody to do the washing up
6)My bike would weigh half of what it does
7) Said Tardis tent would have all mod cons including my recording studio and guitars and rig etc
8) My water bottles would automatically re fill with fresh water when low
9) French toilets would be hygenic
10) Maps would be easy to find and read and not cost or weigh anything
11) Car drivers would always give me enough space
12) Unlimited time and above all constant good health

as to where I would ride...well....anywhere fun, adventurous and interesting...also I'd spend loadsa time on beaches, i like beaches.

dragon72

Guru
BigonaBianchi said:
'DREAM' tour....well ok then..

3) It would never rain, no headwinds or hills and the sun would shine when i asked it to.

No hills!?!? AAAAAAARGH NO!

I've toured in Holland and the Alps and Pyrenees. Give me the hills every time. In flat places all you see is sky, and when you stop pedalling, the bike grinds to a halt! Bugger that! I don't mind grinding up a slope because I get scenery, plus a guaranteed fun free ride the other side.

I'd ideally go to a place where there's good signage, bends in the roads, plenty of room for cars to pass without frightening the bejesus out of me, or off-road cycle paths, decent local booze and an abundance of campsites with pools where you can wear shorts and not be forced to wear posing pouches.

Brock

As much money as needed just to cycle wherever I fancied and be able to stay in the best hotels when I get there, no plans or responsibilities. That's the rest of my life sorted then.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'd love to do a proper 6 month Europe tour but I'd first want to go across America. That feels like a massive achievement! Ideally from Charleston, NC to San Francisco.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
North Cape in Norway to the toe of Italy. It is almost a straight line N - S. I would dip my toe in the Arctic Ocean at the start and my whole body in the Med at the end.

xilios

Veteran
In 2010 doing the Trans Am or more at home cycling from the northern most point in Europe, North Cape, Norway to the southern most point of Europe Gavdos island, Greece. Because its such a small island and also difficult to get to (less tourists) a week there would make a perfect end to a long tour. Pictures at Flickr.
For variaty and being closer to home, we are leaning towards plan B.
Just waiting to get the OK from work (hope and pray) :biggrin:

Andy in Sig said:
North Cape in Norway to the toe of Italy. It is almost a straight line N - S. I would dip my toe in the Arctic Ocean at the start and my whole body in the Med at the end.

Almost did the North Cape to Gibraltar, except that I fell in the steep tunnel between North Cape and the mainland and broke my collar bone. Re-started in southern Sweden instead and made Gibraltar with no further ado.

Planning Vancouver to Key West next year, and then shortly after, Melbourne to Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. :blush:

Top Bottom