Your most embarrassing moment on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's that time of year when we reflect on highs, lows and err, well those other moments we don't usually talk about. Here is mine, absolutely true and can unfortunately be veryfied.
One Sunday morning I was bowling along on a rural road, sun shining and not a care in the world. On my route I passed through a sleepy thatched cottage type of village, as it was early I didn't expect to see anyone out and about, however on this occasion I saw a man standing near the edge of the pavement. I didn't take much notice as it was hardly a rare sight, one of those things you take in and then dismiss and get on with the serious business of keeping the legs whirring round and the speed nice and high. As I got within maybe 10 meters or so doing I guess about 20 - 22mph, the unthinkable happened and he stepped out in front of me. Now I have always thought I am a reasonably decent bike handler but I had no chance and neither did he, in the fraction of a second before I flattened him i thought, but he looked at me before he stepped out.
I will never know how I didn't fall off, perhaps it helped that he was old and frail [not good I know, it gets worse]. I came to a rapid stop, dropped my precious steed and ran back, thank God, he was lying down but moving and I could see he had a gash above his eye that was bleeding freely. It was just as I reached him that I saw the white stick lying next to him.

tudor

Is it wrong I laughed?

brokenflipflop

Veteran
31bhSxrvQqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
You want to be far more attentive, expect the unexpected. I hope the old fellow is OK and that this makes you a bit more careful.

Be interesting to see if the guys who laughed at the Ferrari crash see this one as funny.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
My word, that's awful.
Just goes to show how aware you need to be of everything. hope you're (both) OK, I can imagine it must've been nearly as traumatic for you as for the blind gentleman

fimm

Veteran
That's not good. Was the gentleman more-or-less OK?

Mine is more embarrassing but less painful. I looked back at the car behind me at some traffic lights and noticed that the person sitting in the right-hand front seat was on his hand-held mobile phone. So I made a "phone" gesture at him - only to then realise that the car had foreign number plates and the phone user was in fact the front seat passenger... :blush:

You should have cycled off, its not like he could have picked you out in an identity parade:thumbsup:^_^
Wind your necks in before you start, its a joke!
My most embarising moment was earlier this year attempting to bunny hop up a pavement I neglected to lift the front wheel at all and landed in a crumpled heap, at rush hour :laugh:

Chris S

Legendary Member
- only to then realise that the car had foreign number plates and the phone user was in fact the front seat passenger... :blush:

A similar thing happened to me when I was driving. I looked in my mirror to see a dog sitting in the 'driver's seat' of the VW camper van behind me!

akb

Veteran
My First and only off this year (touches wood) was pretty embarrasing. I was on the hybrid on the last straight section of cycle track on the way to work. Up ahead was a group of 3 'roadies', full gear the works. So, as most of you will prob do, I upped the revs to gain a bit more speed. I felt well chuffed overtaking the lot of them. In my heist to over take, I forgot about my turn off. Slammed the breaks on, and made the turn. Wet leaves were about and the inevitable happended!

After picking my self up, I noticed that 3 said Roadies were standing above me. All 3 young, attractive women! They asked if I was ok, which I sheepishly said yes to, and then hobbled off, leg pouring with blood. Lesson learnt I say!

First time out on the road bike, clipped in. Came to a halt a set of red lights, didn't get my foot out in time and ended up on the deck.

Oh how we all laughed :bravo:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Crashing a BMX as a teenager, trying to land a jump and going over the bars with a crowd of younger lads watching, who I had just told I would teach how to land a big jump. :cursing:

Top Bottom