Your perfect bike ride - UK only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For me Cornwall [though not right now!] Penzance, Mousehole, Lands End, St Ives. The last bit from Lands End to St Ives, great rolling road and fantastic views, with Mrs TF of course
whistling.gif

Second would be where I am lucky enough to live now.

coddy

Nice route, totallyfixed. I took in that route when on holiday a few years back. The short steep climb going south out of Mousehole springs to mind although Lands End was a bit of a let down. Much prefer Lizard Point.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I took a bike down years ago and did the loop several times during the week that I was there. For days, there was a howling headwind along the coast from Mousehole and Newlyn to Penzance. The wind coming down that climb made it really hard. Then towards the end of the week, the wind suddenly stopped, just as my legs had started to get used to the hill. I felt like I was flying up it that day!

Yes, the stretch of road from Zennor to St. Ives is lovely for cycling.

I nipped down to Sennen Cove for an ice cream one time and the climb back up from there was pretty hard! I found a few other steep roads going down to little coves and straight back out again but I can't remember where they were.

The time off the bike was pretty good too - the coastal footpath is rather splendid. There was one scary episode though when we stood atop a cliff near Land's End looking out to sea and spotted huge black clouds from which lightning bolts were zapping the water. All very interesting until I realised that the storm was coming towards us at about 25 mph! We ran down into a cove to shelter just as the storm came overhead and the lightning started hitting the cliff-tops where we had just been standing! :eek:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The Mary Townley loop takes some beating for me. Amazing views, climbs,descents and a great fish and chip shop on the way home.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i did a week cycling around and across the isle of mull years ago solo , would always do it again and well recomended just take loads of innertubes and a good pump .

as for who thats a toughie

i like riding through the night in summer so it's got to be the 200 miles on mainly quiet roads from home round sedbergh, kirkby stephen and penrith then over the moors to the lakes (bassenthwaite) then in the dark getting home at dawn. it's great having the roads to myself with the lakes lit only by moonlight.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
For me Cornwall [though not right now!] Penzance, Mousehole, Lands End, St Ives.

Even the hill on the back road from Mousehole to Lamorna? Aaarggh! My legs hurt even now.

We regularly holiday near Lands End and a great evening ride is to go from St Levan to Sennen then up to near St Just, Sancreed Beacon, across the A30, back roads to Newlyn, and then Mousehole, Lamorna, Treen and back.

There's a short but vicious dip at Penberth/Treen. I only started cycling a few years ago and that used to beat me until 2008. I still can't make it up the hill from Mousehole in one go, although this year I only needed a short breather near the top.

John

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Mine used to be from Burnage in South Manchester, out through Stockport, a long long climb through Hazel Grove and out to New Mills or Whaley Bridge in Derbyshire. Only about 15 miles each way, it was my favourite because it's downhill all the way home and the relative speed on the way down makes you feel like you're coming to a major stage finish. I did dream a lot. I often used to overtake cars on the A6 on the way down.
Who with? I was usually alone, I preferred my own company on that ride.

Brains

Legendary Member
Whilst on tour in the New Forest a couple of winters ago, due to a campsite being closed and a rather nice pub meal we started out at the very south of the forest at about 11pm on a brilliant moonlit night, an amazing 35 mile night run through the forest, no cars or people just the odd suprised horse and sheep.

krushavik

One of my best rides was through Cheddar and the up the gorge about 7am quite and peaceful some sort of eagle flew about 4 feet above my head. I don't know who was more surprised the bird or me.

longers

Legendary Member
I like the sound of Piedwagtails route but would choose somewhere I've not cycled before which doesn't narrow it down much, there's loads of places I'd like to visit. Company would be good.

ventoux50

For me (when I'm fit !) Holmfirth - Langsett, over the Strines, down past Ladybower Res, over the Snake Pass, through Glossop returning over Holme Moss.

A really satisfying (read knackering) ride with fantastic scenery, and on a good Sunday morning, not too bad with traffic.

When I'm fit I love climbing the hills on this route, theres just enough recovery in between to make it a great ride.

:biggrin:

krushavik

Have you got a pedal cycle or a motor cycle. All I can say is bloody hell.
For me (when I'm fit !) Holmfirth - Langsett, over the Strines, down past Ladybower Res, over the Snake Pass, through Glossop returning over Holme Moss.

A really satisfying (read knackering) ride with fantastic scenery, and on a good Sunday morning, not too bad with traffic.

When I'm fit I love climbing the hills on this route, theres just enough recovery in between to make it a great ride.

:biggrin:

Top Bottom