Your race today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
We don't seem to have a thread like the Your ride today thread in cafe. IIRC walker used to do some good write ups before he moved out to Australia.

Put your race reports from road, TT, MTB etc here.

I'll be adding reports from TTs and circuit races.
Anyway, I had an early start this morning for a local open 10 mile TT on the B10/43. I'd already raced last weekend where I matched last season's 25 PB and knocked 31 seconds off my 10 PB in a couple of windy rides.
There was a field of 110 riders on the start list. I was down on a *6 (which wasn't too bad given that I haven't ridden any fast course), although I knew that I was quicker than a couple of the *5s on this particular stretch of road. I also had a huge carrot a minute in front of me in the form of a guy who I used to match for times last season. The differences this year are that I've totally refined my position, and not had any crashes hindering training in the first 3 months of the year!

The course was slightly damp with a crosswind/slight tailwind on the outward leg. The start was clear of traffic and I quickly got up to speed and in the bars. After 1km I looked down at the Garmin to see I was doing 46km/h and flying. My speed increased on a slight downhill section and I was turning 53x14 around 100rpm. Coming up to the turn I had my minute man in my sights, entering the roundabout 15 seconds after him. It was a tight turn and I completely fluffed it, probably because I was distracted by the amount of time I'd gained. The next kilometre was pretty slow having turned back into the wind and I think I let him go out a bit until we reached an uphill drag at 12km.
I dropped a gear and tried to spin faster turning fully into the wind and it worked. 500 metres before the end and going through a pinch point traffic island I came level with him. At this point a car horn sounded behind and a towed caravan appeared in my peripheral vision, swinging back in front of me. A totally illegal manoevre given the solid bordered hatching and driving over a turning lane, but I managed to get a bit of a tow for a second until riding onto the finish line. Ended up with another PB of 22:43, finishing 8th and beating some fast names.

It's a promising start to the season and I can't wait to get onto the faster courses.
Attached is a shot from my 25 last Saturday - main bike upgrades from last year are the disc wheel and 3T aerobars. Best thing however is the skinsuit - it stands out and draws positive comments. There are also pictures from today on mphotography.co.uk, page 8.

Skip Madness

Youdaman!

Seriously though, I'm impressed. That sounds like great going.

Nice going Will,

The only real TT I've been in was one I actually wasn't in :sad:. I was on drops OK but nothing special and I had a Marshall desperately trying to tell me to go left when I wanted to go straight home. I know it was snowing but I didn't have a big number on my chest/ bike :sad:.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nice idea. I haven't got started with training yet, let alone racing..

There's a Race Reports thread over in Cyclocross, but no-one'll be posting over there until September.

scott s10

today i did the sleaford wheelers charity 10 mile time trial, i came first for juveneilles and beat every junior except one. i did 24mis37seconds and it was horribly windy.

iLB

Hello there
ooo ooo can we put racing photos in here too?

25645_10150143147895431_572070430_11473975_1208630_n.jpg

thats me suffering in the rain at redbridge a few weeks back, the moral of that story is that its best not to race with a cold, you don't get any points and you leave feeling worse than when you got there... o and it costs you a packet for the privelidge :thumbsup:

Brahan

Über Member
Today my 2up TT partner and I won a 23.4 mile hilly race. This followed on from last week's other 2up win.

Early season going ok so far.

stevevw

Guru
From one extreme to another.

Last night I had my first ever race at the age of 52 and as they say carrying some timber. In fact I must have been 4 stone heavier than the next fat bloke :smile:

I got caught out at the start and had to put in an effort just to get back on. Not a good start :biggrin:

The next three laps went well I even managed to move up closer to the front. Probably my next mistake when the fit blokes thought they must be slaking if I was going past them. The pace went from 27mph to nearly 35mph that’s when I dropped to the back then off the back. I spent the next 10 or 12 laps on my own then noticed a couple of riders in the distance so put in an effort caught and passed them which made me feel better and determined that they would not get passed me again. 1/2 a lap later the bunch started to come passed and I managed to stay with them for another couple of laps until the intermediate sprint when they shot off again. I managed to pass another couple of people before the end which was nice.

Will I do it again?

Of course I will. Can't wait. The plan next time in two weeks is to try and hang on longer, then two weeks after that stay with the bunch for the whole race. We all have to have a dream :biggrin:

stevevw

Guru
Aperitif said:
Good on you steve - I didn't know you were so old. I just thought you were young with a mature carriage :biggrin:.

No. It's a good effort - Hillingdon? Gets scary on the chicane at the top!
Silly old git! :smile:

I may be that age but I do not have to act it do I? :smile: Or feel it for that matter. :biggrin:

Yes Hillingdon LVRC event every two weeks until the winter.
Luke may have some photographic evidence of a silly old git with a big smile on his face.

Top Bottom