Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes it certainly is steep if you approach it from Sabden!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1_0wZ8Smo
I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow but then again.:whistle:

Lots of modern bikes for a 'Vintage Velo'!

It's a pity that the car got in the way and slowed the camera wearer down on the descent ...

I am always amazed at how slowly some people descend. When I have ridden up over something like the Nick o' Pendle, the descent is the payback for the suffering on the way up. A lot of the riders seemed to be descending at about 20 mph which requires an awful lot of braking on a descent like that!

gavgav

Guru
Woke up early, with no sign or frost or ice for the first time in what seems like ages, so out for a ride I went.

Took the cycle paths down to where my new house is being built, to check on progress. But difficult to see now, as it's all internal bits being done, but they are starting work on the parking area and road, so getting there!

I then nipped into Sutton Farm and around Weeping Cross Island, for the nasty short section on the A458/A5 interchange, but it passed without incident and I joined the road through Betton Abbots and up to where I wanted to turn off towards Condover.

I arrived at the junction to find the road closed for roadworks. :rolleyes: They really mean it as well, with the road obliterated for the drainage pipes to be inserted and so I had to continue up the long climb to Cantlop and then take the next road to Condover, passing the Hall and onto Ryton, where i paused for a chocolate bar.

I had been riding into the South Westerly breeze for most of the way and whilst not being particularly strong, it was constant and made it slow going.

I departed Ryton and was heading along the road to Longnor, when I noticed a cyclist coming the other way that I recognised....... @Rickshaw Phil !! He was going a bit quicker than me and said good morning, but hadn't noticed it was me until I shouted "It's me......" :laugh:

We had a quick chat and went our separate ways, with me continuing into Longnor and then joined the road to Acton Burnell, with the wind now behind me, which made it much easier going.

I cruised nicely to Pitchford and back down to Cantlop, before taking a different way home via Atcham, Attingham Park, Upton Magna, Uffington and then the full Old Canal Path, rather than the shortened version. This was because I wanted to ensure that I had done 50km, to enable me to join the Half Century a month challenge :thumbsup:

My knee wasn't too bad today, the odd little twinge and a bit of stiffness for the last few miles, but it's getting better finally it seems.

My good mood from the ride was partially ruined, however, by me arriving back home to see a scratch on my car, which wasn't there on Friday :cursing:. Looks like some bastard has keyed it, to me, as there is no sign of any paint from another vehicle. There really are some complete tossers around these days.

32.1 miles at 11.5 mph avg

Condover Hall, through an ugly gate!
image.jpg

Gloomy view over the Stretton Hills. These were completely covered in snow on Friday, but only a speck left now on the very tops, shows how much milder it's been over the weekend!
image.jpg

44 dull, damp, dreich and windy miles this morning. First time out on the road bike for over 2 weeks. Struggled a bit for the first 10-12 miles (I blame the Wattbike session from yesterday) then I got a second wind and I was back in the groove. Route was up to EK, over the Ardochrigg, through Strathaven then home via Kirkmuirhill, Ashgill and Larkhall.
Good ride apart from a couple of issues with the front mech not wanting to shift the chain at times. I'll need to have a wee fettle later.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Unusually for me I actually had a route planned, aiming for around the 30 mile mark. Heading out at 0900hrs there was still a fair bit of ice about and I spent the first few miles heading out through Chertsey listening to my tyres (a hint picked up on this very forum), and they were crackling away nicely, so all the roundabouts and corners were taken steadily. Out through Walton, Molesey and into Bushy Park, getting a little lost again before finding my way out into Hampton. Very busy in Bushy Park, lots of runners and dog walkers, not many bikes though. From there it was back through Lower Sunbury, Shepperton, Laleham, Staines. Having not quite notched up 30 miles I added an extra loop out through Stroud, nearly implanting myself into the side of a Nissan squishsquash with a dozey driver. I'd prepped for stopping as she hadn't even looked my way before pulling out of a side road:whistle:
Quick run around Lyne and Chertsey saw me home with 35.4 miles done, another metric half century and my biggest ride since Octobers op. Getting back into it now:smile:
Must stop for a picky or 2 next time out, been so focussed on cracking along that I keep forgetting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom