Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A utility ride today along the K&A canal to Reading to visit Decathlon for some socks. I got the MB bike out and the front had a puncture, fixed the puncture went in to get changed, got on the bike front was flat again, changed the the tube then set off, forgot the lock, came back, set off again, forgot my water bottle, came back finally I'm on route on a lovely warm day.
01-IMG_0884.JPG

The Sun is out.
03-IMG_0886.JPG

Spot the Heron.
04-IMG_0887.JPG

Approaching Krypton Factor gate.
06-IMG_0889.JPG

Awww cute.
07-IMG_0890.JPG

Reading!
08-IMG_0891.JPG

Years ago, when I used to do extra work I filmed scenes for Selling Hitler in this Building.
09-IMG_0892.JPG

Huntley & Palmer Biscuit Museum in the distance.
10-IMG_0893.JPG

Theale Swing Bridge is open.
Sulham to Reading2.png

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Not my ride today, but my ride yesterday. Longest one so far 210.7 Km taking in various villages in Leicestershire, out to just south of Peterborough via Rutland. Was rather knackered at thew 100Km point as I think I set off a bit fast but made it...was ok after climbing out of the Nene valley. 2607m of ascent apparently, total for the trip isn't technology wonderful! Ace days cycling....

eyebrook.jpg

Cyclist33

Just got in from a 20 miler-ish on a regular route, on my noooo steel road bike - beautiful ride quality, I mean I'm lucky because my other bikes are a Cannondale with Save stays and a Giant Defy which are both pretty compliant, but the new one is more assured than either on the rough stuff while also an okay climber and keeps its speed well. Be interesting to carve out a role for it; might move the tt bars onto the Giant at some point but for now, it's all good. 5 stars!

Stu

albion

Guru
Yesterdays ride.

Rising surprisingly early it would have been stupid not to take advantage of an extremely favourable weather forecast for my T2W there and back ride (Toon to Whitby).
Knowing discretion is the better part of valour I set off on the shorter route through Sherburn and down what is my undisputed favourite traffic free cycle path, the one that starts direct south of there down to the Durham services roundabout to join the Coxhoe road route to Stockton/Boro.

I did mainly main roads but it is a pleasure so early. 140 miles in all and none of my usual after ride cramps!
Whether it was the near wind free long gentle stroll or a pre emptive strike of post ride muscle flexes I have no idea but I must say, I did fear after cramps more than the ride.

If you wondered, it stayed dry. Ugly looking storms seemingly being a short way east towards Seal Sands.

BAtoo

Über Member
A summary of the last two rides in our tour - sorry for the delay but no internet facilities (non-existant or expensive) really until home.
Day 13 - Glucksdtadt to Niebull. This should have been a simple ride along the roads near the sea going North. In places it was but about mid way we got pushed inland to avoid the tracks which were too rough for our road bikes and then got into a section of motorway with no bikes allowed. We got moved by the support van back to suitable roads. Anyway about 90 miles often into a brisk headwind

Day 14. Niebull to Esbjerg.
Another supposedly easy ride on the flatlands - only 62 miles scheduled.... we'll have a late lunch in Esjberg we though. Started OK and we soon passed the border into Denmark, flat land and no wind. Again we hit the North Sea Coastal path which we could not ride so inland detours. Then we got messed up by loosing the cycle tracks mainly on the way out of towns and hit the odd no-bike road....
With some on the hoof planning we eventually made it to Esjberg having done just shy of 70 miles.

On the dreaded nightshift this week . Normally a bit of a graveyard for me and the cycling. Yesterday i rose for the 11 o clock pee. (if you do nights you will no doubt know of this term. Lay till bout one pm then headed out for a 7 mile ride. My last one last week had left my lungs bursting for air but this was easier yesterday as i hadnt had anything to eat beforehand. Quite a pleasant one and a wee shower of rain was welcome to aid my cooling down.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Got out early this morning as I wanted to beat the heat. Bit of a funny day yesterday, but given re-assurances that nothing I do has any effect I figured I'd continue with the gentle physio rebuild. Road bike still under lock and key, so out on the hybrid again and once more taking to the Thames Path through to Chertsey. Felt really good so figured I'd extend the planned 10 miles to 15, so continued on towards Walton Bridge, crossing through to Weybridge before back home via the Thames Path again. Bit of a mis-judgement and ended at 20 miles, but home by 10:30 so nice temperature for ride. Rest day tomorrow so hoping for nice weather Thursday for the next excursion.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
This morning I set off on a 70 miles ride to the New Forest. Less than 15 minutes into my ride I saw a giant monster coming out of the water (Bournemouth beach)
20140610_100751.jpg

Scary moment to say the least :smile: but it was a very enjoyable ride.
On my way back, I stopped for a rest and a bit of lunch at a golf course. A player was trying to get the ball out of a bunker so I sat down to watch and then fell asleep :sad: I was woken up by another player who quite rightly warned me that I was likely to get hit by a golf ball. I had not thought about it :sad: it was such a peaceful place and the sun on my face made me sleepy.

Back on the promenade I was asked how to change gears on a MTB. The gentleman was using his son's bike and was having a few issues with the gears. I was very happy to help :smile:

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
This morning I set off on a 70 miles ride to the New Forest. Less than 15 minutes into my ride I saw a giant monster coming out of the water (Bournemouth beach)
View attachment 47373

Scary moment to say the least :smile: but it was a very enjoyable ride.
On my way back, I stopped for a rest and a bit of lunch at a golf course. A player was trying to get the ball out of a banker so I sat down to watch and then fell asleep :sad: I was woken up by another player who quite rightly warned me that I was likely to get hit by a golf ball. I had not thought about it :sad: it was such a peaceful place and the sun on my face made sleepy.

Back on the promenade I was asked how to change gears on a MTB. The gentleman was using his son's bike and was having a few issues with the gears. I was very happy to help :smile:
I know bankers annoy us quite a bit these days, but driving golf balls into them is a bit much ^_^ :whistle:

Garry A

Calibrating.....
From Falkirk to the Clackmannan bridge today. Went through the Helix park past the Kelpies and onto the farm roads behind Skinflats. Returned along the cycle track to Carronshore and onto the Langlees tracks before home, about 14 miles all in. Rain started just as i put my bike away ^_^ No motor vehicles and passed around 6 cyclists heading the other way. Over the bridge next time i think.

Big Nick

On the dreaded nightshift this week . Normally a bit of a graveyard for me and the cycling. Yesterday i rose for the 11 o clock pee. (if you do nights you will no doubt know of this term. Lay till bout one pm then headed out for a 7 mile ride. My last one last week had left my lungs bursting for air but this was easier yesterday as i hadnt had anything to eat beforehand. Quite a pleasant one and a wee shower of rain was welcome to aid my cooling down.

I did a usual 25 miler around where I live yesterday but on an empty stomach (after skipping breakfast) against a slight headwind......bloomin hell it was tough! I was tired after only 11 miles and was actually feeling a bit queasy at 22 miles!
Note to self, ensure fuel in tank before setting off for a ride!

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I am mulling over the idea of doing my first night ride later on when it gets dark. If I don't do it tonight, I'll just get all caught up in this whole Coupo del Mundo thing, and might not get one in before London to Brighton in July. I'll mull it over a cup of tea ... or two ... or three. Yep, definitely .... well probably .... make that quite possibly will do it tonight..... or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom