Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Ok out we went me and Dave.Dave had a meeting with one of his family,so a late start.We decided on Knaresborough.Good choice,a little over 41 miles in all,lovely weather just shorts and top.
We found a new cafe,it has only been open three months,so if in that area give it a try and support.Cyclists are welcome,The Brew,13 Castlegate,just off what i call the square opposite The Market Tavern Pub,The latte was great,might try some food next time.So Thursday is looking a hot day,so we have decided on Easingwold,sorry Vernon.Don't fancy that long flat boring run into Boro'.So i have built up in three rides 24,34,41 today Thursday will be just a smidge over 64.Looking forward to it.It was great today.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A beautiful day today ladies and gents. Bue skies and lots of sun, and a lght breeze made perfect conditions to get out for a ride. Went to my favourite lane today, and was surprised/shocked to see another cyclist. An elderly man on a MTB that looked like it weighed a ton. An hour spent trundling along the highways and byways in total peace and quiet. The weather is set fair for the rest of the week,, so happy days.

Covered a few miles and had a great time, and had a big smile on my face.
20140902_115816.jpg

20140902_115825.jpg

20140902_120708.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
sorry Vernon.Don't fancy that long flat boring run into Boro'.

If you are finding the ride to Boroughbridge flat and boring then you must be lacking some or all of the following:

Imagination
Decent maps
Access to www.mapmyride.com which gradient profiles routes as you plan them. Other online route planning sites exist.

The A168 is not the only way to get to Boroughbridge. Try:

Going out along the Harrogate Road, through Kirby Overblow turn right onto the A658, skirt Knaresborough to the west before joining the A6055 to Boroughbridge.

Have a play with www.mapmyride.com and some OS maps. You'll have more interesting rides. :thumbsup:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
21.3 miles today on the MTB. After a couple of false starts, going down the bank and I couldn't find my cycle shoes I managed to get out and go down the Kennet & Avon canal the went exploring for some new bridleways and byways. Well, they are all mostly new to me as I am new to this area. I had a great couple of hours out in the woods and tracks and along the canal.

On the canal I met a woman who is sailing a Cornish Crabber boat 900 miles "Ros Bennet, 72, plans to sail her Cornish Crabber 24, Demelza, from Falmouth to Falmouth via London, Bristol and thee Isles of Scilly in aid of the charity For-Ethiopia. Family and friends will join her for the 900-mile trip.round the south coast of England, she is raising money for water wells in Ethiopia" http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fun...undraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=rosbennet this is her blog. http://cornishcrabberchallengeblog....02/fobney-lock-to-just-beyond-tile-mill-lock/ we had a nice chat whislt she negotioating the lock, and I put a fiver in her tin, then carried on along the canal to the tea shop.

Alas my fave tea shop was closed, so I had to make do with a Magnum from the Aldermaston Lock Chandlery. When I went in there was no one there, I waited for about 5 minutes for someone to come and serve me, as I was about to leave I discovered I was locked in. A moment later someone came and opened the door, I think she was a bit spooked 'cos she could not work out how I got in the shop.

Anyway a lovely afternoons riding met some nice people, lots of stings and scrapes from nettles and thorns, par for the course though innit.

IMG_1289.JPG

Crabber Boat
IMG_1290.JPG

One of the locks

IMG_1292.JPG

The Chandlery

IMG_1293.JPG

Closed Tea shop

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

Rough & Muddy Bridleways & Byways

IMG_1298.JPG

A black Lab playing in the river Pang

IMG_1299.JPG

The river Pang, and its water voles, are thought to have inspired author Kenneth Grahame's character Ratty and his book The Wind in the Willows

Bradfiled loop.png

Bradfiled loop2.png

Freds Dad

Veteran
My longest ride to date yesterday, 20 miles round the leafy Cheshire lanes.

Next target is 25 next weekend with a a couple of shorter rides on Tuesday and Thursday.

http://www.strava.com/activities/188049794

I managed nearly 10 miles tonight and will try to do the same on Thursday before my "big" ride at the weekend.

I'm getting addicted to this cycling lark.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Seems to close/change hands regularly, I was told it had re opened, but when I got there it was closed!
Not a place to be depended on.

brand

Apart from a couple of stings, I was OK. Plenty of elderberries and blackberries on both sides of the track. Why don't more people go out and get some free stuff...?? There's loads of it just hanging there waiting to be picked! :unsure:
Oh well..... more for me^_^

View attachment 54837

That'll do for a few gallons! They're already bubbling away in a big pan..

:smile::smile:
You need to put some effort in!
elderberrycollection030914001_zps28baaed5.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Thought I'd give the road bike a try today, first time since 'Episode 4'. Strangely much easier, I suppose being 5kg lighter than the hybrid helps:rolleyes: Pretty much repeated the last ride as I was on a confidence builder more than anything else, so the usual pedal around WGP which is much quieter now the kids are back at school. I had fitted a set of 25c Conti GP4000 II's to the road bike last week, and pleased to say they felt much more comfortable than the Gatorskins that were fitted previously. A steady 25 miles in just under 2 hours, nothing exciting but takes my mileage to 1508 miles so far this year, quite pleased with that given the amount of time I've had off the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom