Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
This is the last evening in my village for me. After 13 years I shall be moving to new village and A new home. So the evening I went down to the local pub again on the Dawes kingpin and had a couple of pint with the chaps I am now back home slightly ****ed and have discovered that riding a bicycle slightly ****ed is fun but not safe. I have also discovered that the brakes on the Dawes kingpin are ****e in wet weather.

View attachment 58590

The bike outside the pub, they wouldn't let it in!
All the best in your new house

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Went to Lee Valley road circuit tonight, the club is trying it out to see if we can't get a few members ridding in the week, was a bit wet and windy but we had a good time, 6 of us turned up, ended up with 23 miles on the garmin. so nice to ride on a flood lit circuit, with no cars to worry about, i think next time there will be a few more of us as long as the weather is better than tonight's. Hopefully next time my times should be better as long as that wind drops^_^
http://app.strava.com/activities/205344358

ScotiaLass

Guru
I wasn't sure about riding today but I decided, what the hell!
A lovely 20 mile ride, two incidents, a shower and several cygnets :laugh:

canal.jpg

The canal is looking quite autumnal

cygnets.jpg

The cygnets are getting big!

wheel.jpg

The Falkirk Wheel

babyKelpies.jpg
bobbing.jpg

The Kelpie maquettes at the Wheel I think he's practising 'dookin' for apples!

oops.jpg

I love my pedals, but not when they do this!

Anyway, the ride was without incident (apart from the leg incident!) until I got on the road to climb the hill up to the village.
There are some width reducing bollards and just as I approached them I could hear there was a heavy vehicle behind me.
I know he could see me as I had my bright orange jacket on and was sitting out a bit from the kerb.

I thought he would hang back, but instead he ploughed on, at speed, and within 4 inches of me! he almost had me off and if I had wobbled I would have been under the wheels! It was a council refuse lorry.
I got home and phoned the council and reported the incident and said I wanted someone to call me back regarding it.
I won't hold my breath!

I wasn't sure about riding today but I decided, what the hell!
A lovely 20 mile ride, two incidents, a shower and several cygnets :laugh:

View attachment 58606
The canal is looking quite autumnal

View attachment 58607
The cygnets are getting big!

View attachment 58608
The Falkirk Wheel

View attachment 58609 View attachment 58610
The Kelpie maquettes at the Wheel I think he's practising 'dookin' for apples!

View attachment 58611
I love my pedals, but not when they do this!

Anyway, the ride was without incident (apart from the leg incident!) until I got on the road to climb the hill up to the village.
There are some width reducing bollards and just as I approached them I could hear there was a heavy vehicle behind me.
I know he could see me as I had my bright orange jacket on and was sitting out a bit from the kerb.

I thought he would hang back, but instead he ploughed on, at speed, and within 4 inches of me! he almost had me off and if I had wobbled I would have been under the wheels! It was a council refuse lorry.
I got home and phoned the council and reported the incident and said I wanted someone to call me back regarding it.
I won't hold my breath!
Ouch, sympaties

ScotiaLass

Guru
Only a quickie today and the first time out all week. It's been windy and I'm really nesh.
8.45 down to the hospital today, in around 32mins and change. Lovely sunny ride and then off dog walking 2 whole customers. Business very quiet at the moment but more time for practice and bike riding. Yay!
Hoping for a nice weekend now.
:hello:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Commuting miles again today. Fairly cool but sunny on the way in, no incidents and I made fairly good progress despite the first couple of miles being into a head wind. On the way back it was a headwind again (the wind had shifted round to the south west) but stronger this time and I was riding against it for most of the journey so I wasn't quick this time. There was more traffic than usual on the lanes - probably trying to avoid the congestion as apparently there's been an accident on the main road.

Edit: completely forgot to mention nearly hitting two coliies that darted out into the road to chase after me at Upton Forge. Fortunately I'm used to errant dogs from my time running the rickshaw in The Quarry so the stop was without drama and the dogs headed home when the owner called.

Now we're into autumn proper I'm riding into the sun both ways so my tail lights have been getting some use. Doesn't stop the odd close pass though.

Commuting is going to be a regular thing from now on. I made a good impression doing my temp work and have been asked to stay on permanently.:dance: Same hours (so I'm not riding in the usual rush hour) but a bit more money - happy with that.^_^

Last edited:

GrasB

Veteran
Walk, well collection, of shame this morning. Doing a good pace round a usual training loop then coming up to a corner I'm presented with a car at high speed on the wrong side of the road seemingly struggling to keep the car on the road at all due to understeer. I jink the bike into the opposing carriageway only to have the car suddenly veer onto the correct side of the road. I know I can't make it back onto the correct side of the road with confidence so head for the verge. Then comes the fun bit of trying to go round a tightish corner on wet grass with a road bike on 25c slicks. This doesn't happen & the alarming sound of metal girding on hard stone is heard. Result deeply scoured rims, in places so deep I can see into the V section void! No way in hell I'm going to ride on rims compromised like that to time for a call to GrasB taxis Ltd. :sad:.

Plenty of time to look around the scene & find out that the muppet driver had simply gone way to hot into the corner, understeered round it, then when the rear wheel had caught the verge oversteered. You could see the fresh verge marks where he'd been sliding from side to side down the road. Video & report will be going to the police. As I have the car's reg & really good quality images of his face I'm wondering if I can make any kind of insurance claim against the driver.

Other than that it was a really nice ride.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Walk, well collection, of shame this morning. Doing a good pace round then coming up to a corner I'm presented with a car at high speed on the wrong side of the road seemingly struggling to keep the car on the road at all due to understeer. I jink the bike into the opposing carriageway only to have the car suddenly veer onto the correct side of the road. I know I can't make it back onto the correct side of the road with confidence so head for the verge. Then comes the fun bit of trying to go round a tightish corner on wet grass with a road bike on 25c slicks. This doesn't happen & the alarming sound of metal girding on hard stone is heard. Result deeply scoured rims, in places so deep I can see into the V section void! No way in hell I'm going to ride on rims compromised like that to time for a call to GrasB taxis Ltd. :sad:.

Plenty of time to look around the scene & find out that the muppet driver had simply gone way to hot into the corner, understeered round it, then when the rear wheel had caught the verge oversteered. You could see the fresh verge marks where he'd been sliding from side to side down the road. Video & report will be going to the police. As I have the car's reg & really good quality images of his face I'm wondering if I can make any kind of insurance claim against the driver.

Other than that it was a really nice ride.
Oh no!! I'm glad you're okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom