Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
A lovely morning of pottering about. Went out of Bath through the two tunnels and then out along the river Avon for a while. Back in a loop towards Bath. Then I hopped onto the cycle path and went towards Bristol and along the ring road path to Stapleton and then back to Bath along the cycle path. Must have done about 50 miles over the three odd hours I was out. A nice shot of the sun on the Avon.
DSC_1003.JPG

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First ride of the year with our lass. Normal route just shy of 30 miles. One mishap, our lass came off her bike when she clipped a barrier with her pannier, bike was fine. Wind has died down but it is a bit chilly.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Took me an age to get out due to varying reasons, one being a Garmin that had changed all of its data fields without my knowledge or doing.
So off I went at 11.30 into bright and breezy weather through lanes full of kestrels and churches until I reached the mighty Chapel Hill, there were a few others who were doing it from the harder, but wind assisted way. The road to Orwell was going to be fun, and as I turned the right angle bend I was battered by hurricane George.
Old Wimpole hill was easy today for some reason, not sure why, I'm certainly no fitter!
At Longstowe I had that familiar sinking feeling... I stopped to squeeze my rear tyre opposite a bus stop, and sure enough I was airless. The bus stop was great, the wooden seat just at the right height for me toto fix my hole whilst seated!
At this point I contemplated heading for home, but I went through more head wind, passing the maggot farm which smelled interesting today and cMe home through the Gransdens, Bourn and Caldecote.

Whilst fixing the puncture the speed field blanked out on the Garmin for some odd reason. Once home it was still being arsey with me. I swore at it a bit and switched it off and on a few times. The miles stopped at 17.88, but it was somewhere around 30.

Bloody stupid gadgets, maybe I should just ride....!

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Rode out this morning to meet up with my club ride, reached Chipping Sodbury clock tower just in time.
We then headed down thru Yate & thru Latteridge, the wind was proving testing with the group often fragmenting !
We met some more riders at Aust before crossing the Severn Bridge.
The main group was riding onto St. Bravails but due to time I only went as far as Chepstow - lovely coffee & Welsh cakes in 'Coffee no. 1'.
The return was much easier with the wind now in my favour :smile:
40 sunny miles in total.

https://www.strava.com/activities/239574695

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Still ridiculously windy out there, but the dangerous 60mph stuff had abated to 40mph gusts and so I braved a very short ride, to get my 2015 riding off and running.

Began by lowering the saddle slightly, due to my ongoing battle with knee problems. No pain from it today, but still clicking a lot and so will stick to short rides for the time being.

Headed around Shrewsbury, with 1st section being down to Sydney Avenue, where the River Severn comes into view. It was very swollen and so I feared my route would be blocked shortly, and sure enough the gate was across the towpath because it was under water!!

Deviated up through one of the most notorious areas of Shrewsbury (Castlefields) and along past the now closed prison, trying to dodge piles of glass where a whole street of cars had been targeted by some cretin.

Next was a trip up Castle Steet, into the town centre and then around the back streets to Swan Hill and into the Quarry, where I rejoined my intended route.

I walked the bike over Porthill Bridge and on the other side I came across a little boy, with trousers down, relieving himself up a lamppost :eek:. Well I suppose if you've gotta go you've gotta go!!

It had been extremely hard going into the wind so far, but luckily I turned away from it, down the dreadful cycle path to Meole Brace and then up past my new house, into Sutton Farm and onto the old railway track bed. I decided to do a quick loop around the Business Park, which was quite surreal with no cars or people around. What I did find was a brilliant cycle path, like they all should be, with flat fast Tarmac!

I returned to the old track bed, passing the football pitches where some Pub teams were playing and one chap was bringing up last nights beer by the corner flag!! xx(

I followed the path right through to Reabrook and then continued home up my normal route on the inner ring road.

When I got home I found that my cycle computer had gone haywire and hadn't recorded my avg speed, time, etc, but did record the distance as 13.3 miles.

Strava suggests an average speed of a snail (9.9 mph).

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well that's my first commute of the year under my belt. 16 miles each way & on the way in this morning the headwind hadn't subsided as much as I'd hoped, but coming home was fun ^_^.
My plan to ride every day this year is still on course, but the last few days have been a bit of a challenge & a couple of days i've only done 8 miles, but I did get out :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Low on desire and fitness, today seems ideal with a lull in the weather, wind was acceptable, only a bit cold...get yerself out there Colin...
18 miles , circa 11 of those into the wind or a good side wind. Last 7 were to be relished.
Overtaken by everyone :blush:..except a couple on hybrids...i show'd em :rolleyes:.
5 Red Kite..always nice to see.
No more than a ride to build fitness with, no great average speed but feeling glad I got out there.

BigAl68

Über Member
Rode out this morning to meet up with my club ride, reached Chipping Sodbury clock tower just in time.
We then headed down thru Yate & thru Latteridge, the wind was proving testing with the group often fragmenting !
We met some more riders at Aust before crossing the Severn Bridge.
The main group was riding onto St. Bravails but due to time I only went as far as Chepstow - lovely coffee & Welsh cakes in 'Coffee no. 1'.
The return was much easier with the wind now in my favour :smile:
40 sunny miles in total.

https://www.strava.com/activities/239574695

View attachment 76614
View attachment 76615
View attachment 76616
View attachment 76617
View attachment 76618

I would ride from Chipping Sodbury to Severn Bridge services as a youth just to play the space invader machines.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With Sunday afternoon being my least favourite riding time & the south-westerly being my least favourite wind I thought I'd go for the hat-trick & throw in my least favourite hill for today's 27 mile sortie.

Now Bolderwood Hill isn't long & it isn't steep & indeed I now have no problem going up it & up longer steeper hills but it was my first failed hill back in 2013 when I changed from going down it on a hybrid to going up it (or not as was the case) on my very first road bike & ever since then it has left me mentally scarred!! :rolleyes:

The weather wasn't too bad down here today & I'm still home in time to do what I like to do on a Sunday afternoon which put my feet up with the Sunday papers so not such a bad day all in all.

https://www.strava.com/activities/239682561

001.JPG

The view down my old nemesis, Bolderwood Hill.

002.JPG

And today's obligatory cute New Forest wildlife picture, mum & fluffy baby donkey.

13 rider

Guru
Set of at 10 to mates house 6 miles away .we then did a 32 mile loop from sileby through the villages of Walton on the wolds ,Stanford on soar,normanton on soar,Sutton bonnington,west leake,east leake,wysall and Willoughby on the wolds the longer we rode the worst the wind was .the last 4 miles to mates house were. awful despite us taking in turns at the front progress was slow. Stopped at mates house we're he had his first clipped in moment on his driveway:rofl: I tried not to laugh luckily for him no else saw it and I wont be telling:secret:. Left mate and made way home headwind all the way got home having completed 47 mile at 12.9mph which considering the last 10 miles I was well happy .at home now with aching legs drinking a welcome cup of coffee

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
From Barnet Church, with three friends, out through Potters Bar, Brookmans Park, Essendon, then turned off and went through Letty green, Hertingfordbury and into Hertford for a coffee and cake. Back via Brickendon, Bayford, Newgate Street, with the climbs of Carbone and Vineyard Hills. and then Northaw and back to Barnet. 34 miles in total. All done in the morning sunshine but with a stiff headwind on the way home

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
26 muddy,windy, occasionally dangerous but fun miles with @Hacienda71. View attachment 76607
Aye good ride out with @dan_bo. I am not the most regular of MTB'ers but do enjoy the rough stuff once in a while. On a road bike I know I can smash it if I feel like it, on the MTB it is a different story. I like going fast but also know that there are bits outside my capabilities. All that said I made it to the top of the first technical climb without having to put a foot down. It was at this point that Mr Bo decided to tell me that he preferred trails where you can die rather than the manicured whoops and berms you get at trail centres:eek:. Shortly after this comment we rode across a field to a muddy downhill trail (I use the word trail loosely, it was probably made by a couple of stray goats) Well I got a good 10 yards before my front wheel decided it would be better off lying on the floor rather than upright. I then managed to drag the bike a bit further down the hill before remounting and attempting to ride further. I must have gone 20 yards this time before losing the front wheel in the mud again. This time after parting company with my bike I did a near perfect forward roll which would have seen me achieve my BAGA 4 award back in the day. The wind at times was quite challenging and lines had to be changed as a result when you got blown off course.
On a more serious note the rest of the ride was excellent with a mixture of techy climbs and downhills and mostly trail transitions along bridal ways and canal paths with not too much road riding. Bloody muddy but good fun. Nice one Dan :thumbsup:
I think we covered some of Dan's planned ride for the future so if you fancy a bit of the rough stuff, fill yer boots.^_^

Bike got a bit dirty

tmp_8025-DSC_0531-1801513032.JPG

?size=l.jpg

?size=l.jpg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How horrible was that!:ohmy: 17 miles in gale force winds and rain isn't my idea of fun especially when it was almost impossible to ride up a hill i normally do at 12mph! There are fallen branches all over the roads and to add to the dangers many cars are without side lights(they always seem to be grey) so spotting them is difficult,but they obviously don't give a toss!:angry:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
As windy as feck today, though on the way out we had it behind us more or less. I did a 2 mile run this morning, then the fragrant Mrs P and I decided to ride to Wallingford to visit a new(ish) bike shop that we heard about this morning, then have a bit of lunch somewhere. The sun was out at first but it didn't stay out for long, it soon clouded over and for the first few miles there was a bit of a crosswind, then it was behind us. We got the bike shop, Rides On Air, very nice range of bikes in there and a coffee bar. then a pop into The Old Post Office for a Sunday lunch. We did plan a longer route back but it was starting to get a grey and we didn't have any lights so we came home almost the same way against the wind with a small detour through East Hagbourn to try and avoid some of it. A nice gentle ride out today on the road bikes.

Considering this time last week I could hardly move with my hurty back I am much better now thanks to swimming, stretches and some pain killers.

1-IMG_0737.JPG

A bit grey and bleak today.

2-IMG_0738.JPG

A grey and bleak church in East Hagbourn

3-IMG_0739.JPG

A grey and bleak sign outside the church gates.
OPO.png

A nice bit of grub to be had here.

Rides-on-Air.jpg

A good bike shop.

Wallingford3.png

The wiggly bit in Wallingford is where I forgot to turn off the Garmin.

IMG_1545[1].JPG

This old "Safety Bicycle" circa 1860 was on display complete with solid tyres.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Apparently I have a stalker. This rather unflattering shot was taken without my knowledge just as I reached the top of Frocester Hill (in last place as usual and puffing like a steam loco) on our Kingsway CC ride today. A flagrant breach of my image rights if you ask me. Somehow I got in another 34.4 miles today, though most of the time seemed to be taken up with a Keystone Cops style attempt to get the peloton back together with @Dark46, who had taken a wrong turn early on and was apparently using crapnav today. It was like the hunt for Red October.

received_607168892761623.jpeg

It didn't help that the Black Shed Café at Slimbridge, (our hastily arranged get-back-together point), was closed today, so we had to change our plans and head for the cafe at Saul Marina instead. To make matters worse, Chris (who took the photo) and @gordyfinbar somehow managed to lose both of the girls (including Chris's wife) on the way to the meet-up. If he thought it was cold outside today, I can only imagine how frosty it got once they both got home!

Almost perfect weather, to my mind, today. 2 or 3 degrees, and only a moderate breeze, with enough sunshine to make the views of the Severn from Frocester Hill just stunning today.
Happy riding everyone. Hope you made hay while the sun shone.
Cheers, Donger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom