Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Took advantage of glorious Shropshire Sunshine to ride Route 81 from Shrewsbury to Wellington and back again, which I have been wanting to do for a while now. Headed out of Shrewsbury on the old canal towpath to Uffington and then climbed up to Upton Magna (avoiding the Kamikaze Chickens that were sunning themselves in the road) and then the nice downhill section to Withington.

IMG_0010.JPG

Looking back towards Haughmond Hill from Upton Magna.

Ventured into new territory for me then with a short climb up to Walcot and then crossed the busy Shawbirch road, at a nasty junction, and climbed up to Charlton.

IMG_0013.JPG

A solitary swan enjoying the Spring sunshine at the meeting point of the River Roden and River Tern.

Took a left turn in Charlton and then over to Wrockwardine.

IMG_0012.JPG

Wrockwardine Church (nice little village)

From Wrockwardine continued in the vague direction of Leaton and a couple of big climbs, which I wasn't expecting, before dropping down into the nicer end of Wellington (yes one does exist!!). Continued through Springhill into Wellington Town Centre, mixing it with the very impatient drivers (the sort that overtake and then cut you up before traffic lights and 10 seconds later you sail past them in the traffic light queue :hello:) Did a loop of the one way system through the high street and, having escaped from Wellington without losing my wheels :whistle: returned back along Route 81, retracing my steps.

IMG_0011.JPG

Looking up at The Wrekin from just outside Wellington.

The advantage on the way back was that those climbs up through Charlton and Wrockwardine were now nice downhill sections and I cruised along at 20 to 25 mph for a large part of that section.

Had 1 hairy moment with a rabbit jumping out of the hedge near Walcot, which was very close to colliding with my front wheel!

Arrived back in Shrewsbury having done 24.89 miles at average speed of 10.7mph, top speed 26.4mph.

gavgav

Guru
Been away for 3 weeks on a bike ride. Started on Arran then Kintyre, including The Mull thereof, Knapdale, Mull, Ardnamurchan, Outer Hebrides, Wester Ross, Cape Wrath, Strath More and Strath Naver, Dunnet Head, JoG and the proper top right hand corner - Duncansby Head. Visited a pal in Glasgow on the way back and did some miles with him too. Super excellent tour 1000+ miles and 69,000 feet climbed. But never mind the stats - huge big grins all the way round with stunning scenery, quiet single track roads and masses of emptiness too. ^_^

Sound like absolute heaven to me. Want to work my way up to something like that!!

postman

Legendary Member
Well it happened again.Today the plan was Emsay steam railway,just a little way after Bolton Abbey.Perfect day shorts and jersey only.Well by the time we got to Bramhope 8 miles max.the legs were like lead.So up and over past the royalty pub swoop down into Otley,got through to Ilkley then onto Nesfield and a stop at the Postmans rest a shelter first erected in 1926.
My mate is also struggling,i am running on empty,getting by on fumes nothing left.So we returned to Otley,feeling drained.This is the second time this week.
I am wondering if i have some problem after the viral inner ear infection that put me in A & E a few weeks back.I am sitting here drained. This is not like me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Weekend #9 of my 100+ mile ride of a weekend.
It was the FNRttC and SMRbtH Burnham on Crouch edition

114 miles on the clock. Starting off from Hyde Park Corner at midnight with 65 other hardy souls.
Though a little cold at times, the rain held off thankfully.
BURNHAM.jpg

The sunrise as we left Stock in Essex was fabulous.
2013-05-25 04.59.41s.jpg

2013-05-25 05.11.39s.jpg

The return journey meant a crossing of the River Crouch by landing craft...7 cyclists and bicycles squeezed on for the 10 minute crossing from Burnham to Wallasea Island. And then on to home......

2013-05-25 09.43.08s.jpg

So, weekend #9 done (and was the 13th 100+ miler of 2013) and onto next week, Weekend #10, 100+ miler #10.
How many weeks can I keep this up?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
86 sunny :sun: miles for me today. Rode out to meet @gam001 and @400bhp at Northwhich then down through Wheelock past Congleton to ride up the killer mile at Mow Cop. Gam001 wanted to try it. Not my idea of a fun climb :dry:. Hadn't ridden up it for a couple of years and had almost forgotten how unpleasant the last bit past the pub is particularly when you lose traction when you need it most. Then descended back down posting a KOM on Strava that I really wasn't trying for. Met a chap at the bottom who had been practising for the Cheshire Cat but didn't get to the top.
Rode back to Wheelock for some food and a brew. Then had a blast through the Cheshire Lanes through Radnor, Lower Withington and Tatton Park and back home.
Good ride, good company and a decent distance as well. ^_^
IMAG0947.jpg
IMAG0948.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've done my first ever metric century.:wahhey:

After my struggle last saturday, I thought a flatter route would be in order today so decided to head towards Ellesmere. The route out was via Montford Bridge and Baschurch then the quiet roads through Bagley, Hordley and Lee.

I paced myself properly this time and found that I was cruising at a comfortable 15mph and feeling like I could do that all day. So much so that when I got to Ellesmere I decided to extend the route and try for the 100k.:thumbsup:

At first I joined NCN 31 through Coptiviney (how's that for a name?) to Welshampton and Lyneal then headed for Wem and on to Shawbury (where Princes William & Harry learned to fly helicopters).

As i got closer to Upton Magna a quick calculation suggested I'd miss the mileage I was after by about 2 miles.:ohmy: A detour through Rodington Heath and Withington helped with that before I headed for home.

The final mileage was 62.54 miles at an average of 13.5mph

DSC01456.JPG

It was a really glorious day! This is looking across Baggy Moor towards the Berwyns.

DSC01457.JPG

A corrugated iron chapel at Lee Bridges.

DSC01458.JPG

Ellesmere town centre.

DSC01463.JPG

Down by The Mere. A good opportunity to stop for lunch.

DSC01466.JPG

Crossing the canal en route to Lyneal.

DSC01468.JPG

Wem town centre. Max Boyce once said it sounded like a disease; "I'm terribly sorry.... he's got Wem!"

DSC01470.JPG

Shawbury. No photos of the airfield I'm afraid as I have an aversion to serious men with guns taking an interest in me.:whistle:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
A century ride in the Trossachs today, moaned all winter about it being to cold, now the sunshine is here and it was to bloody hot
http://app.strava.com/activities/56179820

254192_537976116263975_1822148293_n.jpg

971191_537976432930610_1904696152_n.jpg

575882_538018402926413_745598709_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 23692

Just a quick nip round the 'usual loop' this afto on the road bike... 15 miles in just a tad less than an hour.

Today is the first ride this year I've not worn a base layer, and the first time I've worn fingerless mitts. Quite a pleasant day really, if a little windy at times :smile:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I am wondering if i have some problem after the viral inner ear infection that put me in A & E a few weeks back.I am sitting here drained. This is not like me.

Might be worth going to see your GP, though it could just be the lingering effects. Viruses can hang on for ages. Rest up, take it easy and give your body a chance to recover. Hope you're feeling more like yourself soon.

Gary E

Veteran
63 miles today (metric ton). At one point a guy on a lovely Bianchi came out of a lane I was passing and asked if he could sit on my back wheel for a while.

To be honest he looked like a proper roady in his club kit and with his very nice bike so I was genuinely worried that he'd get fed up of me holding him up and scalp me.

I was so intimidated that I just put my head down and went for it, expecting him to come passed at any point.

Not only did he not come passed but when I plucked up the courage to look over my shoulder it turned out I'd dropped him by quite a distance.

Now I feel guilty for leaving him behind :blush: (but quite pleased with myself that I could :smile: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom