Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Will do!! :smile:
Yes it was a funny one. I've never seen the likes of it. Maybe something was in the air the last few days. The previous Sunday morning at around 5:45 as I rode along the country road part of my commute I noticed a huge number of rats on the road. There was a huge number of them, theres often a couple of them scurrying into the ditch as I approach but last Sun. morn was just weird and they were allot further out onto the road than normal. Must have been a truck spilling grain or something had passed along. Strange few days on the bike.
Are silage, hay or straw bales being moved?

Is HERE ^_^

First proper ride for several months. Very happy with the result though. I kept the route easy and the distance low, but headwinds cost my average speed a bit, although to be honest I'm just riding for me and for enjoyment from now on, not for numbers.

Thanks to @Broughtonblue, your THREAD seems to have kick started me. Been out for 3 runs this past week and the ride today. Hope you're getting your mojo back as well buddy:cheers:

Last edited:

Peteaud

Veteran
Todays ride was a 50 mile charity run for the British Heart Foundation.

Pretty well organsised (Fantastic marshals) but i wish they would not charge for refreshments at feed stations. Just put the cost on the fee and be done with it, but other than that a really good bike event.

The route is flat by any standards as it runs around the Somerset Levels, starting at Glastonbury.

large.jpg

I got there early and was 1st into the carpark so ready to get going as it was a bit chilly.

The sun was ou, the sky was blue and approx 600 riders had gathered.

large.jpg

A few of the early birds waiting.

large.jpg

Most of the roads were the typical Somerset Levels back lanes

large.jpg

Blue sky and by now quite warm.

large.jpg
The hills in the distance are The Cheddar hills

large.jpg

Peat mound and the hill in the middle is Glastonbury Tor.

All in a really good day, some money raised for a good cause and the weather held out.

Thanks to the BHF for the event :cheers:

London Female

Über Member
Cycled into the centre of Oxford to meet up with the joint Oxford Isis/Oxford CTC ride to Cogges Farm, Witney. I had a bit of trouble getting to the meeting point in the centre of Oxford due to film crews, apparently they are filming a programme called Endeavour.

We set off via Jericho to Yarnton, Long Hanborough, North Leigh, New Yatt and onto Witney. 46 miles in the sun, shame we had the wind against us at times though. Lovely group ride though.

D

Deleted member 1258

Kineton the destination 68 miles the journey, still a little tired from a busy week at work plus a strong wind made for a slow hard ride, I put longs on as it was chilly first thing but found myself overdressed by the time I got to Kineton, riding out of Bagington I was passed by a rider on the shallow climb to the A445, I caught him for a chat then let him go on the climb from the A445, but then found myself catching him again and ended up on his wheel for a couple of miles until he turned off, riding past Harbury I was caught by another rider and we rode to Kineton together , then I went into the Deli and he carried on doing the loop he was doing, the ride home took me through Oxhill, Watcote, Wellesbourne and Hampton Lucy, mostly into wind which made for slow hard riding but still an excellent morning out on the bike.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=616175

D

Deleted member 1258

Just done a 36 mile circuit nuneaton to kingsbury then back through some local villages. This is my longest ride yet by 10 mikes the last 5 were agony though

Well done, if you continue past Kingsbury then turn right onto the main road theres Middleton Hall a couple of miles down the main road on the right. I work in Nuneaton, Triton Showers, commute Coventry Nuneaton and back by bike most days.

D

Deleted member 23692

After doing today's ride yesterday :crazy:, I only planned on doing a short(ish) ride today. So I decided to do a mix of the 'Cycle the Solway' 100k and 50k routes - which with a few adjustments came to a nice round 50miles with plenty of opportunities to cut it short (if needed). As it was being held today, I though it would be fun to ride it in reverse so I could see the goings on, and look out for anyone I knew.

As per usual in these parts, the roads were very quiet as I made my way out and along the edge of the Firth of Solway, however I did encounter the closest thing you'll get to rush hour...

sol1_zps58a3adea.jpg

... I assume this was the farmer bringing his cattle off the marsh so they didn't cause problems for the charity riders. A little further along I met a shorthorn bull running towards me through the village of Bowness. It's one of those rare times I wished I had a helmet cam ;).

After nodding at/ignoring (I like to keep things random) what seemed like an endless stream of riders going t'other way, I turned off the route of the charity ride near Abbeytown and stared to head back towards Carlisle.... Argh..... HEADWIND. There wasn't a breath of wind when I set off, so this speed sapping blast really caught me by surprise as I (literally) struggled the last 15 miles home. Stopped for a rest here, and though it made a good photo opportunity...

sol2_zps5050d11b.jpg

50.1 miles/ 1400ft ascent @ an average of 16.2mph.

full.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom