Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

40 mile regular loop for me today, under blue sunny skies with a slight wind.

No near numpty misses and after almost a week off the bike I was surprised how easy it felt. towards the end i remembered to switch on my new BKool app and then cocked up the upload:rolleyes:

]

Last edited:
It would be nice to brag about the 100 mile plus ride this weekend, unfortunately it was er well not quite that, ok so it was only about 4 miles, but, and it's a big but it involved several ascents of Monsal Head in the Peaks. This was on the Saturday, we had done this climb a couple of times before but never in anger and today dr_pink was racing the hill climb so Saturday involved a comprehensive recce. What gear to use? Which wheels? Which rear sprocket? Pace it or go flat out and hope the crowd lift you over the line? All these questions and many more.
After staying overnight in Chesterfield we arrived 3 hours early to get a good parking spot, just as well because by 10.30 it looked as though every man and his dog had turned up to watch, what an event!
Looking down from Monsal Head towards the start
2013MonsalHead005_zps03ab1acb.jpg

dr_pink warming up
2013MonsalHead002_zpse5e471cc.jpg

And coming in to finish, giving everything
2013MonsalHead004_zps677d6832.jpg

Just a few folks wandered along to watch
Copyof2013MonsalHead003_zpscbebfbc4.jpg

Mow Cop next week, Cragg Vale the week after then the National Champs, it's a hard life....
Phenominal crowds :becool:

Suffolk swarm 100m sportive. http://www.strava.com/activities/87323544 It was the first running of this event with some great roads that I had never been on before. Door to door it was 124.4 miles in 8 hours 36 with a 14.5 average. Pace was sociable and only the second time I have ridden 100 miles on my fixed.
I don't think i've done more than 70 on my bierhoff :bravo:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Thanks all, to be fair I didn't have much choice as the geared bike is still in bits :sad:. I have to say that the last 10 miles into Ipswich hurt with several unwelcome short sharp ups and downs. I decided to take the least hilly option for the ride home afterwards which was nice as the wind was then behind me.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My wife and I took part in the wiggle New Forest Sportive event on Sunday, we rode the 102 mile route the beautiful countryside of the New Forest, and did not see any of the "angst" or experience and negativity from local people in and around the area, that had been reported in local press, in fact everyone I saw whilst riding returned my greetings with cheery good mornings. Some folk were outside their houses drinking mugs of tea watching the spectacle of hundreds of Lycra clad idiots cycling passing their houses at stupid- o-clock in the morning. It was a stunningly lovely day, warm and bright, a bit fresh first thing, but it warmed up nicely. It was an utter joy to see all the wild life about the roads and in the fields and forest, the hogs, the pigs, the donkeys in the road, not caring that we were there, the horses munching the grass side by side the cows.

It was refreshing to see families having picnics in the woods, children riding their bikes, enjoying the fresh air and the country side, instead of being dragged around shopping malls. We had a brilliant day.

Last edited:
A really enjoyable ride tonight, picking up folk on the way and maximising the remaining light. As I got to the end after a few sprints my legs couldn't give any more; I think tomorrow might be a rest night ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It would be nice to brag about the 100 mile plus ride this weekend, unfortunately it was er well not quite that, ok so it was only about 4 miles, but, and it's a big but it involved several ascents of Monsal Head in the Peaks. This was on the Saturday, we had done this climb a couple of times before but never in anger and today dr_pink was racing the hill climb so Saturday involved a comprehensive recce ...
Look great!

How did dr_pink do?

I'll try to turn out and cheer dr_pink on halfway up the Cragg Vale climb!

Looks great!

How did dr_pink do?

I'll try to turn out and cheer dr_pink on halfway up the Cragg Vale climb!
It was, dr_pink was I think 5th or 6th but we made a mistake with the wheels, but on the other hand apart from the pro rider who won there was only 10 secs separating the first half dozen women so not too shabby as this was definitely a sprinters climb and as you know dr_pink isn't exactly built for sprinting!
Cragg Vale will suit her better but probably not quite steep enough, we shall see. We will aim to get there for about 11.30am so we can have a ride up and recce it, then it will be at least 45 mins on the turbo so plenty of time to meet up before the first rider off [2pm]. Before that, this Sunday there is the small matter of Mow Cop and if anyone can get out that way to give a cheer on the steep bit it will help a lot, first rider off at 10.11am, dr_pink at 11am.

It was, dr_pink was I think 5th or 6th but we made a mistake with the wheels, but on the other hand apart from the pro rider who won there was only 10 secs separating the first half dozen women so not too shabby as this was definitely a sprinters climb and as you know dr_pink isn't exactly built for sprinting!
Cragg Vale will suit her better but probably not quite steep enough, we shall see. We will aim to get there for about 11.30am so we can have a ride up and recce it, then it will be at least 45 mins on the turbo so plenty of time to meet up before the first rider off [2pm]. Before that, this Sunday there is the small matter of Mow Cop and if anyone can get out that way to give a cheer on the steep bit it will help a lot, first rider off at 10.11am, dr_pink at 11am.
Good Luck @dr_pink

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The nice thing about living in such a hilly place is when you plan what for most would be quite an undulating ride, it feels almost flat
46 miles, 3200ft of climbing. Glossop - Hayfield - New Mills - Poynton - Bollington - Alderley Edge - Poynton - Marple - Glossop. The bit from Poynton to Bollington via Pott Shrigley is really nice. Very quiet roads, undulating and great views over to Jodrell Bank

Got the big climb (Chunal) in first, and managed to get the tailwind all the way back. As a bit of an overheater, I love these cool October days. Still managed to drink 2 litres though

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[My Ride Today actually took place on Sunday, 6th Oct!]

It was Season of Mists day in Hebden Bridge. It is a mega-hilly local audax event taking in some of the best local scenery, but unfortunately I was not fit enough to tackle it this year. Still, the weather was lovely, so I thought I'd go out and do a hilly 50 km ride. That would be by far the longest ride since I fell ill in summer 2012. I managed to cram about 1,000 metres of climbing into those 50 kms (3,250 ft in 31 miles).

Here's the route profile, which I have annotated with red numbers which I refer to below ...

Hilly 50 km ride profile.gif

Start and finish in Hebden Bridge (1). It is a tough start, straight up the steepish Heptonstall Road, but I took the easier option of going along the 'Heptonstall bypass' - Lee Wood Road, which has recently reopened after major repairs.

I encountered several riders coming the other way to complete their SoM rides, including my mate Bill, who shot past me and only recognised me when I called out his name.

I continued up to Colden village (2) where I stopped to take a few photos, including this one, looking back down the hill to Slack Top:

Colden Slack Top Road.jpg

There is a swift downhill to Jack Bridge (3), and then an immediate steepish climb back out of the dip. past the New Delight Inn (There is a small camp site next to it, if you ever want to camp in the area.)

I was going to Blackshaw Head (4) but stopped just shy of the village to take this photograph looking back down at Jack Bridge and over to Colden:

Jack Bridge Colden from Blackshaw Head.jpg

It is a drag up The Long Causeway from Blackshaw Head and I stopped at the top of that (5) to take more pictures. The one looking back down to the village didn't really work because I was too far beyond the brow of the hill, so I'll show you one of Eastwood Road instead. That is a nice detour to or from Blackshaw Head, if you fancy a change from The Long Causeway, and there is a choice of 2 steep lanes down to Todmorden golf club, and then down Cross Stone Road into Tod., if that ever takes your fancy. Here's Eastwood Road, with Stoodley Pike on the opposite side of the Calder Valley, in the distance:

Eastwood Road from The Long Causeway.jpg

There was quite a stiff crosswind blowing throughout the ride, which made progress a bit slow, but that didn't matter - I was not in a hurry and would easily make it back before sunset.

The usual fast descent towards Burnley was hampered by the wind so I didn't break any speed records. Still fun though!

I turned left down Greencliffe Lane at Mereclough, then right in Over Town, to take the steep lane down to the main road at Walk Mill (6), the A646 between Todmorden and Burnley. The immediate increase in traffic reminded me why I usually try and stay on the tops, but it is ok to do that road once in a while, away from peak traffic times.

I crossed the A671 Bacup Road at the scissor junction lights, and ascended to the lights at Manchester Road on a hillside above Burnley. A left turn there towards Rossendale, then another left up Crown Point Road. That it is a tough little climb which is used for a local hill climb event. At that point, my back was starting to get a bit sore. I think my back muscles withered even more than those in my legs over the past year of illness and recovery. I engaged my lowest gear and twiddled my way up to the summit (7), which was my target for this ride. There is a panopticon up there which I wanted to go and look at (and listen to!) - the 'Singing Ringing Tree'.

There are great views all round, which is precisely why the sculpture is located up there. I walked my bike down the gravel footpath to the installation, pausing to take this picture on the way. Pendle Hill is in the distance, to the left, and Burnley sprawls below:

Pendle Hill and Burnley from Crown Point.jpg

The sculpture gets its name because it is designed to harvest the wind and make eerie singing, ringing tones. Sure enough, it was singing away and I tried walking around it making a video clip, but the wind noise was awful, and the pictures shaky, so I gave up on that. Here's the sculpture, with Coal Clough windfarm (which I had ridden past about 40 minutes earlier) in the distance:

Singing Ringing Tree Coal Clough windfarm.jpg

On then to Deerplay (8), and the 3rd country pub on the ride that has shut since I last rode this route!

I had intended to take a photo from Deerplay but had forgotten that a string of pylons across the hillside spoils that view. What's more, the sun was getting low in the sky and clouds were building so the light was going. No more pictures for this ride!

I bombed down the road to Bacup (9), dodging potholes all the way down - what a horrible surface!

I passed straight through Bacup, and climbed up to Sharneyford (10), and another pylon-blighted vista. Oh well, at least I had a glorious fast descent to Shade (11) to look forward to ... :smile:

... except that there were about 6 sets of temporary traffic lights to contend with! They are sorting out something under the road. I don't know whether it is water, gas, or electricity infrastructure, but the lights were a pain! :sad:

I had intended to do one more quiet lane featuring some more climbing, but I'd had enough by then so I did a quick 6 mile blast back through Todmorden (12) along the valley roads instead.

So ... I seem to be making good progress now. My right lung feels fine, though the left is still below par; only time will tell how well that recovers. Heart - good! Right leg - fine. Left leg - good for about 20 miles and then the damaged veins started to ache a little, but I can't complain - most of the problem now seems to be lack of fitness rather than illness, so I'll just try and keep plugging away at it through to next Spring, by which time I hope to be pretty fit again, and ready to resume my forum ride organising duties! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom