Your Views On Toddlers Wearing Helmets When Carried On A Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Any equipment that can help prevent further injuries always gets my vote,we all live our lives on maybes and if what,
I know there are arguments for and against some kit ,but I always feel I would do my best for my lads

I am ambivalent on helmet use, but I always plonked one on our children (or asked them to use one) until they were twelve.

All of our children were carried as toddlers on a seat clamped to the seatpost and seatstays. All had a silly-looking helmet for those journeys.

They quite liked wearing it. I'm not being paranoid, but they did seem always to want to play at the houses of children who lived up big hills.

Any equipment that can help prevent further injuries always gets my vote,we all live our lives on maybes and if what,
I know there are arguments for and against some kit ,but I always feel I would do my best for my lads

Any equipment? You"re a fan of Thudbusters and full body armour then? Or do you in reality set a risk threshold below which you don't bother.

And is doing the best for your lads wrapping them up in cotton wool or letting them learn to handle the risks of everyday life in preparation for when they fly the nest and you are not around to coddle them?

[QUOTE 1947225, member: 45"]I think it's best if we keep some perspective here.

I don't make my boys wear helmets when they're riding to school. If they're out on an MTB track then I do.

When they were learning on the walking bike they usually did because they were liable to fall off.

Once they were on to pedal bikes on standard surfaces then helmets were less of an issue, though they wore them when they were on my bike, for reasons already stated.

I have a nephew who's less risk-aware (like charging down hills towards walls without fully understanding what brakes were for, or caring for that matter) so he was encouraged to wear a helmet.

Helmets and pads for in-lining? Yup. Most effective are the wrist protectors, and the scuffing on them is evidence of this.

Helmets and pads for scooter? No. Much lower risk of falls than rollerblades.

I'm assuming that Cunobelin wasn't misinterpreting my post with this "that's why I mentioned thudbusters" comment, because that would just be extreme interpretation in order to set up a non-existent skittle to knock down.[/quote]

And that relates to my question to Berties how?

When it comes to cycling with my kids, I chose a trailer rather than a seat as I didn't like the top heavy centre of gravity they cause, and I have two kids to move, so a trailer was the only sensible option. When I did a test ride with a rear seat it was ok but awkward. The hardest part, as others have mentioned is getting on and off. Trailers are great because the kids don't have to wear a helmet, but can be very heavy when going up hills...:heat:

I have never ever, ever (cross my heart) gone down a muddy track on a mountain bike and no mudguard... and I have certainly never ever, ever done this pulling a child in a trailer and obviously did not do this with the front of the trailer open.

So it was obviously not my fault that the poor hid in the trailer was covered in a thick layer of mud!

[QUOTE 1947225, member: 45"]

I'm assuming that Cunobelin wasn't misinterpreting my post with this "that's why I mentioned thudbusters" comment, because that would just be extreme interpretation in order to set up a non-existent skittle to knock down.[/quote]

No - I was pointing out the difference in approach, that the Thudguard premise was always protecting toddlers around the house and have now developed into cycle helmets.

An interesting wayto go and also the fact that they have simply included them as an option, using the same emotive and pseudo-professional advice as they have used for the previous Thudguard models.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Any equipment? You"re a fan of Thudbusters and full body armour then? Or do you in reality set a risk threshold below which you don't bother.

And is doing the best for your lads wrapping them up in cotton wool or letting them learn to handle the risks of everyday life in preparation for when they fly the nest and you are not around to coddle them?
you are taking the rise!!my lads have been taught to access risks,my youngest has more scare tissue than me and I never left the scrum in rugby,he has impaled his leg falling off a rope swing ,while i was there,25 stitches latter!! he wears body amour when he plays rugby,top fitted gum shield and i do like him to wear scrum hat as he's a tight head,and has had a few knocks to the head,he is constantly covered in bruises and haematomas,and i get him the best physio i can when required,i would not take a risk with health ,or long term effects,but i don't wrap him up in cotton wool,he wears a bike helmet,and a life jacket on our boat,all may be not necessary but there just in case

[QUOTE 1947747, member: 45"]You might want to ask him to clarify, in an open-minded manner, before you respond to the assumption of the extreme.

Allowance and perspective. Allowance and perspective.[/quote]

My friendly pet stalker back again eh? Can I give you a hint? This - ? - is called a question mark. It signifies I am asking Berties a question. You might like to look up the difference between a question and a statement. But I doubt it will stop you stalking my posts.

[QUOTE 1948229, member: 45"]I'll challenge you when you talk nonsense and use methods which have no place in unbiased, objective discussion. Like your stalker claims when every time things get a little hot for you.

And, as you're so prone to pushing some who don't agree with you to an extreme so it gives you something to to be right about, and because you continue to display an inability to properly analyse data, I'm afraid it will continue.

Balance, RL. Objective balance. That's all you need to learn.[/quote]

Hello pot!

<plonk>er again.

StuartG

slower but further
The judgement of whether helmets mitigates injuries is, as we know, a moot point. It depends how, in the absence of reliable evidence, you balance the positive against the negative factors. The two relevant here is the weaker more vulnerable skull of a toddler and that as they are not in control the absence of the risk compensation factor.

Hence it might be better for both if the rider did NOT wear a helmet but the passenger DID!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom