YouTube Videos - is it going anywhere?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I know there are many reasons for posting video clips on YouTube, including mutual criticism and learning, which is of course very useful in itself. However, I wonder whether it is really going anywhere as far as campaigning for safer roads and driver behaviours is concerned.

We have seen a few videos of road rage featured in the news in recent times, as well as the occasional feature in the news about cycle cameras generally, in which some of our cycle cam celebrities here have featured. There must be many thousands of videos on YouTube now showing bad and even appalling driving around cyclists, but the media seem to trot out the same few examples every time the issue comes up.

Do people think this video posting is having an effect? Is it too early to tell? Is there something more we could do?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I know there are many reasons for posting video clips on YouTube, including mutual criticism and learning, which is of course very useful in itself. However, I wonder whether it is really going anywhere as far as campaigning for safer roads and driver behaviours is concerned.

We have seen a few videos of road rage featured in the news in recent times, as well as the occasional feature in the news about cycle cameras generally, in which some of our cycle cam celebrities here have featured. There must be many thousands of videos on YouTube now showing bad and even appalling driving around cyclists, but the media seem to trot out the same few examples every time the issue comes up.

Do people think this video posting is having an effect? Is it too early to tell? Is there something more we could do?

On the surface it seems to be having an effect. However it could be the latest media fad to post stills from cam footage.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1. Videos have resulted in prosecutions
2. I know somebody whose driving featured in a BentMikey Production - and he was really, really put out. And not a little worried.

pshore

Over the last couple of years, those classic videos showing examples of bad driving were always followed by a mixed bag of comments for and against the headcam wearers actions.

However, the more recent videos of those thugs who get out of their cars, show their faces and wave their fists have been received very differently in my opinion. Online comments have been far more weighed in the favour of the victim and at the out and out thuggery of the assailant.

I am sure that these recent videos must have opened the public eyes to what is can be like to be a cyclist. Not in a big way, but its opened a new avenue of thinking.

Overall though, online videos have still have not resulted in a change of driver attitudes to cyclists. Keep campaigning.

I think helmet cam footage has had a fairly powerful impact in several areas over the last couple of years. There have been some significant changes both in how helmet camera footage is represented in the media and in the general public's response to that coverage - the fact that the same clips are being used to frame each new story is probably quite helpful to our use in campaigning, each clip generally represents a step we've taken in having cyclists' experiences represented and acknowledged, we're not having to start from square one in terms of justification each time a broadcaster highlights another cyclist's experiences on the road.

Reaction to news stories using helmet camera footage have generally been favourable (in my experience, the news organisations have helped in how they set up the stories, that Rayner fellow for example can't have done us much harm) and while feedback comments and forums have revealed some disturbing attitudes, I think the general public's perception of cycling issues has been enhanced. This greater awareness will help us address campaign issues more directly in the future. We also now have developed networks for getting cycling issues out into the public arena and know how to prevent our concerns from being dismissed by official apathy or obstruction. Various bodies have recently improved their response to complaints from cyclists, some of that will be in light of how much publicity these clips can garner, some of that will be due to the greater awareness individuals within these organisations now have because of the exposure we have had in the media - I'm not having to defend my reasons for wearing a helmet camera any more, many people already have an awareness of why cyclists do this. Police forces are also now recommending cyclists equip themselves with cameras - an acknowledgement of cameras' effectiveness, an admission of defeat in being able to adequately respond to a member of the public's concerns for their own safety.

While we have a long way to go, awareness of general cycling issues has advanced hugely in recent years, certainly in London and I think the role that this footage plays in allowing people that don't cycle to have some perception of what cycling entails plays a small part in that.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The place where these videos is making a difference is London.
And i suspect mainly because of the introduction of Road Safe London and the way the police there have been accepting of footage and willing to put the time into viewing the footage and doing something with it if possible.
Before that we where in a position where reporting anything with such footage was very hard work and a long process.
I think you can link the camera growth in London (which is arguable the place where most of the camera users are) to the launch of road safe london and the increase in reports it got as it grew older.

If you get a letter from the Police stating that they have seen footage of them driving in a manor which is deemed to be dangerous, and that they need to buck their driving up or they will receive xyz. That is certainly going to hit home.

Some of the bigger names in youtube cyclists have achieved quite a lot and we tend not to post about it in the open, especially not here. Many people on forums (not just this one) are still not accepting of those that use cameras and i must say that I get nearly as many comments/messages on youtube from cyclists as i do motorists, telling me that i'm a dick.

Somethings i've 'achieved' / done thanks to the cameras
  • 1 driver prosecuted for careless driving
  • 2 current serious cases of careless / dangerous driving ongoing
  • Met with the manager of the superhighways from TFL to talk over design features and potential issues
  • Tested a Boris bike several months before they where launched
  • Countless drivers contacted by the police because of their bad driving
  • countless companies contacted about their good drivers
  • countless companies contacted about their bad drivers
  • talked on the radio several times about cameras, silly cyclists etc..
  • Met with the officers behind Road Safe London, Cycle Task Force and Exchanging Places. Where we talked about each of those and ways to promote and improve them.

At present i'm working with a police officer to try and improve the way that the PCO deals with complaints and to make it easier for us to report bad driving by taxis in London.
I'm also involved in some stuff which i can't really talk about but it's a very good thing for video camera cyclists.
I'm not trying to brag (i hope it doesn't come across like that), just showing that i've achieved / done / doing things which I couldn't have done to a certain degree without the camera. Hopefully they have made a difference.

Magnatom recently met with First bus company in scotland.

Tommi

Good to hear.

I'm also involved in some stuff which i can't really talk about but it's a very good thing for video camera cyclists.
Do you see any progress towards civilised times when mounting video cameras on vulnerable road users would actually be unnecessary?

Just a wee thought - even if it's only that your youtube videos make your own commute route that tiny bit safer, it's worth it? A lot of the same people doing their regular commute at the same time every day;the same bus drivers working their route – I get to recognise them,and vice versa. And my camera's fairly prominent, strapped as it is to my forehead.

When you know a driver's had a letter from the police (delivered by hand,no less) ... and a few days later he passes you, same place, same time, and with IMMACULATE care and courtesy, hey - it does your spirits good. And I suspect word went round the bus drivers working my commute pretty quickly :whistle:

Hmmm- I was invited .......................................... to be a photo model for First Yorkshire's upcoming campaign to raise drivers' awareness of cyclists :blush:

I turned that “generous” offer down. Didn't think it was a good idea for every First bus driver in all of Yorkshire to have a photo of the guy with the camera who complains – it'd be a bit like the kid walking around school with “kick me, please” stuck on his back, except buses kick a helluva lot harder.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Good to hear.

Do you see any progress towards civilised times when mounting video cameras on vulnerable road users would actually be unnecessary?

No. Until the roads are properly policed then I doubt their will be an increase in driving standards.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

I'm so glad I asked this question. Gaz's reply is very encouraging, as is Magnatom's blog post. And what's wrong with bragging a bit; you're doing good work. We need to keep banging on, and following London's example.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Some of us have worked hard to make a difference and we get 'results'. Others are still making a difference, just having the videos online makes viewers aware of the situations we face all across the country.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

... and following London's example.
Some of us have worked hard to make a difference and we get 'results'. Others are still making a difference, just having the videos online makes viewers aware of the situations we face all across the country.

Apologies. I should have said: "... and following London's example as well as those of people like Gaz and Magnatom." :thumbsup:

Top Bottom