Zebras!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

[QUOTE 2819487, member: 45"]Yes. That's less than 2 seconds. There was nothing else that she could possibly be intending to do other than make it to the other side. So traffic should stop.[/quote]

Of course her intention was to cross and 9 times out of 10 I stop way before the ped has put their foot on the actual crossing. However, there's also the flow of traffic to consider and given that she wasn't on the crossing and it was clear that my not stopping would make no impact on her forward motion or on her perception of safety (I'd be surprised if she even registered I was there!) I saw no problem in keeping going.

This thread wasn't about any interaction with the ped it was about the assumption made by someone else on what the wrongly perceived should happen rather on what actually did happen.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
I had the same scenario as described by the OP - difference being I was on my motorbike test, with the examiner behind me.
I didn't stop, the examiner did.
I passed.

clockman

Über Member
The examiner stopped, because by the time he got to the crossing, he had to. He was probably about two or three lengths behind you! If you had been in the wrong, you would not have passed and he, quite correctly has to stop, in that situation. He has to ride a safe distance behind to be able to properly observe and assess your riding.
He then, probably, caught up to you, or over the intercom asked you to stop in a safe place to wait for him.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Interestingly, I had a similar(ish) situation on a zebra crossing but as a ped today. The traffic was really bad coming down Pall Mall so I got off my bike and went to walk over the crossing. Pall Mall is split in two by a central raised reservation so the Zebra is split into 2 seperate crossings.

So, I walked over the first crossing, no problem. I get to the middle and saw a chap on a Boris bike, slowly coming towards me on the other side so I proceeded forward, he was cycling fairly slowly and he was plenty fair away to stop... Anyway, I kinda lightly jogged over the crossing to get clear of him and as I was a good 3 or 4 paces on to the crossing, I (wrongly) assumed he'd slow down or even stop... Nope, he kept pootling forward and edged forward past me an inch from the front of my bike as I was about to get on to the pavement.

Shouted a few expletives at him, he looked totally bemused... and we both went on our way.

The devil in me wishes I'd knocked him off to be honest. :evil:

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I'll lend you my MTB for next time. It breaks cars, so an idiot on a Boris bike won't cause it much issues !:thumbsup:

lol thanks, I'm not sure how my little Brommie would fare against one of those tank-link Boris bikes in a head on collision but they are so heavy, a little tap from me on the side and he'd have dropped like a sack a spuds .

Top Bottom