Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onlyhuman

What is the cause of one cog slipping?

Yesterday I put a new chain on, an SRAM 8 speed. The chain frequently skips on one cog, around the middle of the cassette, when I pedal hard. There are no broken teeth, the cogs generally don't seem badly worn, only this one is jumping, so it's annoying. It's a Campagnolo cassette.

I'm getting a new cassette in a couple of days, with a wider range, but I'd like to have this one in useable condition to fall back on. I can't get the chain to jump with the bike on a stand, only on the road.

Is there anything I can try to rectify this?

I had a brand new chain and a cassette on a new bike and found it jumping in one gear but it was obvious on the work stand. The chain was riding on the top of one sprocket and would take 2 click of the sti's to change Whether right or wrong, I tightened the b screw, it seems to have worked for me.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

HLaB said:
I had a brand new chain and a cassette on a new bike and found it jumping in one gear but it was obvious on the work stand. The chain was riding on the top of one sprocket and would take 2 click of the sti's to change Whether right or wrong, I tightened the b screw, it seems to have worked for me.

The b screw, is that the one that adjusts the proximity of the derailleur to the sprockets?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Old cassette + new chain = skippety.

I suspect it's happening on the sprocket you ride in most commonly (therefore most worn). See how you get on with your new cassette when it arrives.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Landslide said:

I suspect it's happening on the sprocket you ride in most commonly (therefore most worn). See how you get on with your new cassette when it arrives.

Agreed.

jimboalee

Landslide said:

A tight fisted old git once said to me "give the block some exercise. Don't use one cog all the time, get your money's worth".

Top Bottom