Zinn and the Art Of Roadbike Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
It gets a mention now and again from members who've indulged, but as always, there's a ton of books out there but until you've got it, you dont know how good it'll be.

About £13 from Amazon for the third edition. I love it :thumbsup:
424 pages with chapters on tools, all the stuff you're likely to need.
Emergency repairs, i'd have never thought of some of the quick fixes.
All the drivetrain (in seperate sections), chain, cassettes, all the different crankset systems, BBs, headsets...how to, or if they can be fixed DIY style, maintenance, replacement etc etc etc.
Gear charts, UCI regulations, wheel truing, wheel building, hub mainenance, torque tables, chapters on frame and forks, pedal systems...how to's on all subjects..bike fitting, its all very comprehensive, right down to what repairs you can make on STI shifters, the internal differences between early and late Campag ergos, care and repair of freehubs...it just goes on and on.

Most manufacturers are covered and their products albeit more at the top end, but older stuff as well.

The downsides...its softback, so i feel the need to treat it with kid gloves and the illustrations are drawn...maybe its just me, they just seem a little basic. Also they dont cover much on FSA stuff, shame as mines got FSA cranks and BB, but i suppose the principle still apply.

Ive had maintenance books brought for me, trouble is most are so basic, they tell you nothing you dont already know. Zinn goes so much deeper, its a good read and interesting even if you dont use its information straight away.

I'd recommend it without a seconds hesitation. Best bike book ive seen.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Hmmm, I've always advocated the interweb for maintenance advise in these times, but that sounds like a worthwhile buy.

I think I'll order a copy, thanks for the review GBB.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hmm - maybe one for Mr S's pressie list.

He's got the Haynes illuatrated book - and uses it, and consults Sheldon Brown a lot. Any idea if Zinn would give him significantly more than these (other than possibly being a 'pocket Sheldon' in some ways)?

yello

I'm a convert too. Whilst t'interweb is good for looking stuff up, what I like about the Zinn books is that you can stick them beside you on the work bench to refer to whilst you're working. The pages are large, the print big and the diagrams simplistic enough to understand from a distance too, not a book you have to study up close. The perfect work bench companion and my copy has quite a few oily fingerprints on it now!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Might have to request this as my xmas prezzie. Needs to be something low cost as I got Ergos for birthday and it's her turn to get expensive present this time.
Only £10.43 @ amazon today !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just had a half hour peruse of the book, and yes, it looks excellent, clear and concise. Just what was needed.
Well worth the money.

Top Bottom