Zopa, anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

I retired at the end of August last year, and despite the considerable amount of messing about by HR, I got my lump sum and severance pay early enough to get a couple of fixed-term bonds which pay a half reasonable interest rate, before the banks all went gaga.

However, the bonds mature in the Autumn, and current rates are so pathetic that I might as well keep the money in a box under the bed.

Then I read about Zopa: a web-base facility that matches up lenders with borrowers - at very attractive interest rates like 9% (gross). Lenders are limited to £25,000 - something to do with registering as a money lender - but even so, 9% of £25,000 will but quite a lot of beer.

Has anyone had any dealings with Zopa? They do say that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is, but Zopa has had mentions on the BBC, the Indy and the Grauniad.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I think you should stick with the pathetic rates - irks me that my money gets no return either, but at least it's in a bank in this country and as safe as anywhere.

The other thing me and Mrs 3BM are doing is spending it all as fast as we can before the interest rates go so far down that we end up paying the bank to look after our money.

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

Uncle Mort said:
Won't they be risky borrowers? Anyone who's willing to pay 9% these days has to be pretty desperate don't they?
Lots of the borrowers are consolidating credit card debts where the interest rate is ~20% ! According to Zopa's web site, something like 50% of potential borrowers are rejected because they don't come up to scratch.

The money you lend is divided into £10.00 chunks, and spread across many borrowers, so if one or two default a lender does not take much of a hit.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've seen nothing but positive reports about Zopa. Apparently risk is distributed by splitting your loan into smaller parcels of cash and sharing them aout amongst lots of borrowers. The credit scoring for borrowers is tougher with Zopa so there's less liklihood of defaults.

Holy thread resurrection!

I’ve just opened a savings account with these guys as recommended by moneysavingexpert.

Anyone have any recent experience of them? (Before I put more than £50 in there 😉)

Top Bottom