Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
:laugh:

I've just been to the high court to get a restraining order Andy... You are now not allowed within 20 feet of my bike! If you're towing me along I'm willing to make exceptions obviously :okay:

Every time i looked into a Lejog i was put off by reading threads where people complained about traffic heavy routes and near passes/accidents. I wondered why Sustrans didn't campaign for something like the green route london to Paris (better in France of course), quietish roads, protected where necessary, changes to local vehicle speeds.

It's just over a week for me and the kids to do London to Paris. We are going via Newhaven /Dieppe due to time restraints and fitness of certain riders:laugh:

JLaw

Veteran
No race Monday. My legs were too sore/stiff to seriously contemplate racing, even just to get in miles. So one more day of rest than I'd planned, but that's OK.

Tuesday KISS was two laps on the London course, with two climbs of Box hill. My legs still felt rather dead when I got on the bike to warm up. Didn't see any familiar faces from here in the pen. Around 40 racers. I didn't warm up well and when the race started I struggled getting a good pace. Ultimately settled on the 3rd group. Had a reasonable climb up Box the first time around, but I didn't push it hard, knowing I was still fatigued. Took a much gentler second lap.

Resting today. My legs feel considerably better than when I got up yesterday :-) I'll likely ride Thursday, but perhaps not race. Hit the climb hard Saturday, then figure out next week's plan with the real world race next Saturday.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Dean, I am sure Norry1 can reassure us about the Pyrenees

To be fair, doing the RAID in 100 hours it was all a bit of a blur. Pyrenees were awesome however - Tourmalet is a must do. We did the Peyresoude as well, and if I did it now, I'd do that bit up to the airport which nearly did for Froome in this year's TdF.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I will do the zsun sticky bottle ride tomorrow. It's quite fast. Any takers?
Then I have 9 days in Menorca with the odd mountain bike ride. I am hoping to use the time to rest and exercise and stretch to deal with my remaining knee issues. So I have printed up a daily routine to follow. I hope it bloody helps because having got through the worst of it I still have to use daily ice packs and ibuprofen whether I spin or not. Fingers crossed.
I will look in here to see how you are all doing^_^

Norry1

Legendary Member
I will do the zsun sticky bottle ride tomorrow. It's quite fast. Any takers?
Then I have 9 days in Menorca with the odd mountain bike ride. I am hoping to use the time to rest and exercise and stretch to deal with my remaining knee issues. So I have printed up a daily routine to follow. I hope it bloody helps because having got through the worst of it I still have to use daily ice packs and ibuprofen whether I spin or not. Fingers crossed.
I will look in here to see how you are all doing^_^

Enjoy :smile:

To be fair, doing the RAID in 100 hours it was all a bit of a blur. Pyrenees were awesome however - Tourmalet is a must do. We did the Peyresoude as well, and if I did it now, I'd do that bit up to the airport which nearly did for Froome in this year's TdF.

Just to add to Norry1's comments. In doing the RAID he will have done a lot more climbing than I did on my brief foray in the Pyrenees in June but...

the Tourmalet just awesome and beautiful. On the advice of some of the "local" I did he western route up from Luz Saint Sauveur and took what is known as the Voie Laurent Fignon diversion a bit above Bareges. This is the old, original route and I was told that many consider it the way to do it. It is closed to all traffic (other than cyclists). We saw only one other person on it, a walker... plus the usual cows, sheep and goats. The road surface isn't perfect as it's no longer maintained but perfectly rideable and, of course, still has plenty of names painted on the road. It rejoins the new route a few kms from the summit. Worth the diversion if you fancy it... just as we entered it we rode through the clouds into the fabulous views.

Another fabulous ride is up Luz Ardiden with its 25 hairpins. Beautiful.

It's a great feeling remembering all the historic T de F battles that have taken up these climbs. I hope to get back there next year.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
last night I spent a couple of hours renaming the gpx. files adding route numbers, so to match the route map, instead of just names. Much easier now to plan a long distance route. Decide on which side of the country to travel and things to see, note numbers from map and then check gpx file on google maps(you can import gpx into google) to see if like it. I will probably build routes with strava(so simple to use and alter), it uses heat maps of popular routes, I tried it on a 30 mile stretch in Scotland and it basically followed the Sustrans NCN route.

bobinski

Legendary Member
last night I spent a couple of hours renaming the gpx. files adding route numbers, so to match the route map, instead of just names. Much easier now to plan a long distance route. Decide on which side of the country to travel and things to see, note numbers from map and then check gpx file on google maps(you can import gpx into google) to see if like it. I will probably build routes with strava(so simple to use and alter), it uses heat maps of popular routes, I tried it on a 30 mile stretch in Scotland and it basically followed the Sustrans NCN route.

Is that easier than amending rwgps routes? Especially if you have a bolt?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Andy
Went pitlochry way twice and Isle of Arran once heading to Inverness each time
Right hand side might be more hilly but not much in it , arran bit more of a faff catching Ferries but unbelievable scenery , gets busier near the loch but I kept on main road
I went wrong in Edinburgh and busy busy busy through to bridge until I found a cycle path what was heaven
Worth seeing where the path started as I was on duel carriageway out my depth
Guessing north of Inverness there isn't that much choice - shadow the a9 as much as poss or head to Betty hill way
Both have a couple of hills but nothing compared to Cornwall what is by far the hardest area

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
20170817_141400.jpg
Lee, there are a couple of options, besides the A9 early on, then either A9 or inland upto Tongue on a much quieter NCN route. I'm planning starting at the top and coming down to Inverness, Now I could either go to Fort william along canal and quiet B roads and then down the fingers and jump on small ferries back to Glasgow area or come inland through the Cairngorms and Trossachs ^_^ lots of decisions as well accommodation to organise.

This is what my setup would pretty much look like except 40mm tubeless tyres off the truck :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom