Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
TB, I can’t imagine how frustrated you are.
I know the internet is a bit of a rabbit hole when it comes to legal advice but experience suggests GP’s are often risk adverse and too cautious. Can you get a second opinion about next steps?
@bobinski I could go down the route of a 2nd opinion, but I'm already in the chute with the consultation so I'll wait and see. I've moved on to other exercise types in trying to gain fitness back for the foreseeable future.

My problem that I caused this delay. I chased other issues thinking it was the cause of my problem, my initial issue was my thigh and that was back related. But whilst dealing with that my lower leg issue appeared and we thought it was related, turns out it probably was not. So I and the osteopath and physio I was going to were all caught out by it.

The me of 5 years ago wouldn't have given a shiv, the me of now is like :banghead::cry::cursing::banghead::cry::cursing::banghead::cry::cursing:. Still I have a plan I just need to go through with it.

JuhaL

Guru
TB, it's good that you can do some workouts in any level, it's always forward. I know it's hard to be patient when you want progress much faster. My herniated disc issues are better now, no such a sciatica symptoms now what i had, but it still keep me on my toes and that is more like mentally problem to me. My blood pressure is now pretty normal not anymore nothing like 180-190/100. I hope you recover soon.

bobinski

Legendary Member
@bobinski I could go down the route of a 2nd opinion, but I'm already in the chute with the consultation so I'll wait and see. I've moved on to other exercise types in trying to gain fitness back for the foreseeable future.

My problem that I caused this delay. I chased other issues thinking it was the cause of my problem, my initial issue was my thigh and that was back related. But whilst dealing with that my lower leg issue appeared and we thought it was related, turns out it probably was not. So I and the osteopath and physio I was going to were all caught out by it.

The me of 5 years ago wouldn't have given a shiv, the me of now is like :banghead::cry::cursing::banghead::cry::cursing::banghead::cry::cursing:. Still I have a plan I just need to go through with it.

Ok. Can you row?
In the meantime how about looking at your diet? You say you are putting weight on. I know it’s hard to cut out the foods we like or restrict calorie intake but if you can keep your weight stable or even reduce it you then give yourself a flying start for when you can get back on the bike. Good luck mate.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Ok. Can you row?
In the meantime how about looking at your diet? You say you are putting weight on. I know it’s hard to cut out the foods we like or restrict calorie intake but if you can keep your weight stable or even reduce it you then give yourself a flying start for when you can get back on the bike. Good luck mate.
Certainly helped me. I still suffer from a bad back, have done for about 20 years now, but since I lost weight it hurts a bit less and is more manageable. And this even though I have to do more and more physically to help my wife. So yes, would 100% suggest you work very hard @theboxers to lose weight - it's really hard cutting out food, but it will help loads :okay:

BurningLegs

Veteran
Ok. Can you row?

I have been using the MyFitnessPal app recently to log foods, which really helps.

I’m not “on a diet” but logging foods has given me an awareness of how many calories I’m consuming and I’m naturally cutting down on things. I have almost completely stopped drinking, because to be honest I’d rather consume the calories elsewhere!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Ok. Can you row?
I've never rowed. However it is one of the exercises I am looking at as it can be down by just the arms or arms and one leg.

I know my biggest fall down on weight is the dreaded portion control, I don't have any :blush:. I know what I should do but have a hard time implementing it. It doesn't help when your down about not exercising :sad::cry: no excuse but it is a fact with me. The strange thing is when I was riding semi regularly I didn't have this issue.

Now that I'll going to the gym as well as swimming I hope to get back on the more controlled side of food size and will lose a little more weight a little quicker :smile:.

bobinski

Legendary Member
There doesn’t seem to be a downside to rowing. Great calorie burn even at low intensity especially compared to cycling. Loads of muscle groups activated too- which always comes as a shock when I start up again. And like you say you can vary technique.
@BurningLegs seems to have the right approach- not actually dieting but being more aware of what and how much and impact allows you to make decisions - even about portion size :biggrin:

bobinski

Legendary Member
The downside to rowing, is the risk of back injury. I rowed for the Uni 30 odd years ago, And that was the start of my sciatica troubles :sad:

Sorry to hear that Aleman. Men and their backs eh? You don’t row at all now?
I took up cycling after 2 prolapsed discs and advice from senior consultant that I needed l4 and l5 fused. I declined the operation. Took up road cycling after a 20y or so break, lost weight and gradually back improved. It can flare up occasionally. It did on Ventoux a few years back but I know why. For me at least rowing doesn’t trigger a twinge or worse. But (apparently) I have pretty good form which no doubt helps. We are all different and I am not suggesting TB jumps onto a rower and all will be fine. But he can ask his osteo or physio and see if it might help.

Whorty

Signed up for a 18:10 Yorkshire sprint race if anyone interested. Looks like it's a mini ToY series of races to get a new jersey :biggrin:

Whorty

Well that was hard. Legs felt heavy and went off quite fast. Was with @Whorty for a while and then had a hard last mile where @Brusgaard beat me to the line by a second. All good fun :smile:
I think I may have peaked too soon in that race :laugh: I was top 20 at one point :eek: Once I lost your wheel Martin i sat up. As each group caught me I sat with them until I popped out the back, ready to wait for the next group. Came in 100th on the road in the end :B)

A good session though so all good :okay: Well done Martin and Steen ... good power from both of you.

Edit: watching @Brusgaard 's video it looks I got up to 23rd before I popped :sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom