Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Heading for warmer skies an mountains early tomorrow, so I'll give Thursdays race a pass..

Have fun bud šŸ‘šŸ‘. Where are you going?

Iā€™m not going to do the race tonight either. I might try find something different. If thereā€™s anyone else who has already done it and doesnā€™t fancy another ride around the busy New York streets give me a shout.

bridgy

Legendary Member
The Garmin works off gps or the bike computer equivalent. So it wonā€™t know where you are in zwift land. I feel bad telling some of these guys this but... zwift isnā€™t a real place. (Next week I might have some bad news about Santa Claus, but I donā€™t want to ruin your weekends so Iā€™ll not mention it until then! šŸ˜„)
Well strictly speaking it is a real place - as in Zwift New York is actually located in New York as far as the Strava map is concerned (and Watopia is located on a real island in the Pacific) :okay: - but Strava is told your location by zwift rather than by the GPS on your Garmin (obviously!) so no, the Garmin won't know where you are to tell you the start of segments.

@Brendan Parker - choose the "Knickerbocker" route, and you'll appear at the side of the road just before the start/finish banner for the segment. When we did the meet-up we were started about 0.4km from the segement start banner - if you look at Brusgaard's video he posted earlier you will see the start/finish banner about 1:27 into the video - this is where the segment timing starts and finishes.

Brusgaard

Ɯber Guru
Have fun bud šŸ‘šŸ‘. Where are you going?

Iā€™m not going to do the race tonight either. I might try find something different. If thereā€™s anyone else who has already done it and doesnā€™t fancy another ride around the busy New York streets give me a shout.

There is a CycleChat race on Bkool at 6 PM. Bill and Keith could use some real competitors going up the climb. ^_^

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Well strictly speaking it is a real place - as in Zwift New York is actually located in New York as far as the Strava map is concerned (and Watopia is located on a real island in the Pacific) :okay: - but Strava is told your location by zwift rather than by the GPS on your Garmin (obviously!) so no, the Garmin won't know where you are to tell you the start of segments.

@Brendan Parker - choose the "Knickerbocker" route, and you'll appear at the side of the road just before the start/finish banner for the segment. When we did the meet-up we were started about 0.4km from the segement start banner - if you look at Brusgaard's video he posted earlier you will see the start/finish banner about 1:27 into the video - this is where the segment timing starts and finishes.

:laugh:

My youngest daughter has a map of neverland on her wall. Apparently itā€™s located in the clouds above London. But even with this knowledge Iā€™m not expecting any sightings of Peter Pan on the news anytime soon!

I understand thereā€™s types of therapy that encourage you to say things out loud to make them convincing to yourself. After three everybody... ā€œzwift isnā€™t real!ā€ ^_^

although Iā€™ve heard it said it isnā€™t real UNLESS itā€™s recorded on Strava. So now Iā€™m confused too...:huh:

bridgy

Legendary Member

My youngest daughter has a map of neverland on her wall. Apparently itā€™s located in the clouds above London. But even with this knowledge Iā€™m not expecting any sightings of Peter Pan on the news anytime soon!

I understand thereā€™s types of therapy that encourage you to say things out loud to make them convincing to yourself. After three everybody... ā€œzwift isnā€™t real!ā€ ^_^
:laugh: Are you saying New York doesn't exist?! And you should have warned about that Neverland thing with a Spoiler Alert!

My pointlessly pedantic point was that whilst Zwift (and apparently Neverland) aren't real, Zwift rides are mapped in real locations - in this case the real new York. So the issue for the garmin thing isn't the existence of the place but the fact you're not physically in that place.

As I say, needlessly pedantic. I'll get back to work...:whistle:

P.S. You'll be telling me those dinosaurs in Titan's Grove aren't real either next :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I'll be on later but not sure what time as need to shower and dress HID before I can ride. Hoping to be on about 6 ish - if before I will join the race, but if not I'll probably look to do some interval sessions around Watopia.

And as for the revelation about Santa Claus!!!!!!!!!! :cursing: Tommy, you've killed all my dreams now :cry: :rofl:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks ^_^ Going to Gran Canaria...Been there several times and always use this segment for an FTP test: https://www.strava.com/segments/1252319?filter=overall

My mate is there currently. He stayed in Maspolomas. Today he rode upto Pico and back 60 miler.

although Iā€™ve heard it said it isnā€™t real UNLESS itā€™s recorded on Strava. So now Iā€™m confused too...:huh:
Well this whole ā€œzwift isnā€™t realā€ thing has done me. How the hell do I now explain to my wife Iā€™m spending so much money on stuff to ride in a place that doesnā€™t even exist?

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
My mate is there currently. He stayed in Maspolomas. Today he rode upto Pico and back 60 miler.
I was there 2 weeks ago. Some heat. There was a motor rally up the road from the village of Fataga to San BartolomĆ© on one of the days I cycled up - crowds on the hairpins awaiting the rally. i was convinced they were cheering me on as I passed, or perhaps they were being was less complimentary šŸ˜„

@LBHIFI I recall we overlapped visits to Pollensa in July 2017.

<Tommy>

Well this whole ā€œzwift isnā€™t realā€ thing has done me. How the hell do I now explain to my wife Iā€™m spending so much money on stuff to ride in a place that doesnā€™t even exist?

Donā€™t worry about it amigo! She watches you disappear into the shed every night wearing multi coloured spandex. Chances are she already thinks youā€™re a lost course :thumbsup:

Heading for warmer skies an mountains early tomorrow, so I'll give Thursdays race a pass..
Where are you going?
Edit. Just saw your post. It will be interesting to see how your improvement pays off. You sure seem to have gotten stronger over the summer... And not just due to the wheels. However much like the above discussion keep using those wheels as your Dumbo's feather.You just have to believe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom