Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
I dont see why not, you lose all drafting benefit, but gain aero advantage. Swings and roundabouts, with a small group.

However riding in a big pack can see substantial speed increase, The London course you could be wafted along the flat sections, then work hard in a small pack up Box Hill and regroup again to power to the line.

I checked a section of a recent event compared my solo TT against Pauls Tour of Zwift event, he was 4 mph faster ave over 1km flat section

Happy to go with whatever the consensus is, for hilly courses it won't matter as much. I think having a minor advantage to the group rides is probably a good thing to get everyone riding at the same time though.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Happy to go with whatever the consensus is, for hilly courses it won't matter as much. I think having a minor advantage to the group rides is probably a good thing to get everyone riding at the same time though.
Agree that riding either of the 2 event rides is the priority 👍

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Well done to those who manged to complete the segment last night - the league has been updated with your times. Let me know if I'm missing anyone.

Commiserations to those who rode but didn't post a time for one reason or another 😭. Plenty of time to get a time in. View attachment 492149
42:55 please @peterob

World virtually empty! I held both KoM for Box Hill and the Sprint jersey :wahhey: Definitely no advantage from drafting today :tongue:

Asthma not great tonight, really struggling with tight chest. Bit of a cold probably the trigger. Hopefully will get a chance at that ride again on a better night, and might be able to knock a little bit off the time.

Last edited:

JuhaL

Guru
Little bit quiet yes. I have wondering today how difficult leaders is control riders on a group rides. When leader request to return back in formation, riders do opposite. Like today when leader ask faster riders stop and wait top on a box hill when i ride The Herd's Sunday Endurance Group Ride. I didn't have any problem during that ride but just wondering what is the problem follow "orders". It's like try to control kids, when you say don't do that then they do that for certain.

mjd1988

Guru
Little bit quiet yes. I have wondering today how difficult leaders is control riders on a group rides. When leader request to return back in formation, riders do opposite. Like today when leader ask faster riders stop and wait top on a box hill when i ride The Herd's Sunday Endurance Group Ride. I didn't have any problem during that ride but just wondering what is the problem follow "orders". It's like try to control kids, when you say don't do that then they do that for certain.

I think this happens in every single group ride. I think most leaders are resigned to the fact that some people will just race no matter what they are supposed to do!

Breedon

Legendary Member
My pain cave (The Dining room) hàs a new addition a treadmill so been giving Zwift run a try and it's great would be even funnier if I was running along side you up the Alpe ^_^

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My pain cave (The Dining room) hàs a new addition a treadmill so been giving Zwift run a try and it's great would be even funnier if I was running along side you up the Alpe ^_^
I've been overtaken by runners in Zwift and to think of it real life walkers after completing Tour of Yorkshire(Sheffield)
It took over a minute of me going threshold to getaway from a walker:laugh:-Its was 25%+ gradient:heat:

bridgy

Legendary Member
No London for a week...and my laptop is playing up so no opportunity to Zwifthack in. Although I’m thinking If I can find a race or group ride on the London course I could sign up and start the group ride and then sneak off for the Greater London 8
View attachment 492256
Just wait till Saturday and then you have six straight days of London to try and squeeze in a ride (only 35 minutes too)?

Personally I think we should only use TT bikes for TT's. And if we can't make the meetups, you should do it solo and not as part of an organised event or race.

The reasoning being - with regards TT bike, although you lose drafting benefits (and possibly some uphill speed - probably more than balanced out on downhill and flat on most routes though), some people when they ride in the meetup end up effectively riding solo if they don't have a group of similar paced riders around them. And if they were on a TT bike in these circumstances they would probably be faster. A good example is a recent race you and I were in and you shot off the front from the start and solo'd all the way to the win and beat me by 30 seconds or so. Neither of us got any significant drafting benefit from each other or anyone else, and if you'd ridden the same power as this solo on a TT bike your time gap would have been even bigger. Similar circumstance happen a lot throughout the league table both at the front and back of races.

And the reasoning behind the no organised events thing is simply you may get more drafting benefit than in a meetup race which again would be unfair.

There's obviously always going to be the uncontrollable variable of random riders on course who provide drafting opportunities, but as this is random and can potentially affect any of us I'd like to think it probably evens itself out over a league if it does have any affect at all. The only way to prevent it is to ride every race as a TT and that would be no fun!

Top Bottom