Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Del C

Veteran
1.08.21 first stage TdZ for me @peterob

Slightly odd ride. Started off at a steady pace, being cardio-conservative. Then got into a good group which were working hard, but I felt fine so stayed with them. Then we pulled out a minute over the group behind us, so I thought I had to stay with them.

Got to Leith and was starting to tire a little. Lack of racing affected me again, but I just dug in and worked harder than I intended to. Got to the finish and it was the hardest I'd ridden for about a month. Felt tired but ok.

Came in and told the wife. She wasn't impressed! :B)

BurningLegs

Veteran
Then we pulled out a minute over the group behind us, so I thought I had to stay with them.

How can you tell how far ahead/behind your group is? When I'm in a group I can almost never manage to figure it out because the board of nearby riders just fills with other members of the group so I can't get decent visibility of the wider context? I can't judge time on the map and it doesn't seem to show every rider in big events, and the 2D profile is a waste of time for tracking other riders. :wacko:

Came in and told the wife. She wasn't impressed! :B)

I don't have the health angle, but I know the feeling of excitedly coming in after a great ride to be met with polite indifference from the other half. I know she would be even less in favour if I was under doctors orders to take it easy!

Del C

Veteran
How can you tell how far ahead/behind your group is? When I'm in a group I can almost never manage to figure it out because the board of nearby riders just fills with other members of the group so I can't get decent visibility of the wider context? I can't judge time on the map and it doesn't seem to show every rider in big events, and the 2D profile is a waste of time for tracking other riders. :wacko:

Only because it flashed up briefly on the rider list on the right hand side of the screen.

It was a fair-sized group, so most of the time it was just other riders in the group I could see.

But when I drifted to the back of the group at one point, I could see the nearest rider behind the group for a short while and his timing said +1.00.

Del C

Veteran
I don't have the health angle, but I know the feeling of excitedly coming in after a great ride to be met with polite indifference from the other half. I know she would be even less in favour if I was under doctors orders to take it easy!

Oh yes. I've had that! :laugh:

Sometimes I tell her the details of my ride, some fantastic power output or whatever, and she looks at me as if she's vaguely interested.............. which we both know isn't true.

She seemed genuinely pleased when I got to B Cat, but that may have been because she thought I'd stop boring her with explanations of w/kg!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Sometimes I tell her the details of my ride, some fantastic power output or whatever, and she looks at me as if she's vaguely interested.............. which we both know isn't true.

She seemed genuinely pleased when I got to B Cat, but that may have been because she thought I'd stop boring her with explanations of w/kg!
I'm quite lucky in that my wife is very much into sport - she knows more than me on most sports! She always watches the Tours on tv, and any of the week long races. She can identify and name as many of the big main riders as I can.

She always shows an interest in my rides - I'm hoping this is 100% genuine, but I accept that she knows that this is my biggest outlet for me away from caring so she is really supportive (so long as I take my meds :rolleyes:).

As a slight aside, we both used to work in the City, and would meet up after work for drinks. Pool was a big part of our nights and she became quite competent (she could hold her own with me and my mates, and whilst none of us were amazing, we could all clear a table from a break should the balls fall well). Anyway, one evening we went into a pub, now long gone, and there were a could of guys on the table. I got the beers in and put a quid on the table for next game (always winner stays on). When they finished I asked if they wanted to play doubles - they looked at me, then my wife, and said "what, you and her?" in a really dismissive way. I said yeah, we'll give it a go. Anyway, they broke off, my wife went next, slammed the first ball in and screwed back for pot number 2. She sunk that, potted a 3rd, then snookered the next player. Needless to say, that was the last time they looked down at her all evening .... we beat them 8-1 in games ^_^ I was so proud of her :wahhey:

But when I drifted to the back of the group at one point, I could see the nearest rider behind the group for a short while and his timing said +1.00.
@BurningLegs if I want to see how far back a group is I actively drift to the back of the group I'm in so I can see the riders behind. Can be a bit risky so I don't try to stay there too long! Same for seeing who is up front - I'll try to get to the front to look ahead.

Norry1

Legendary Member
For you readers out there, I recently read "Why We Sleep" by Matthew Walker. It was a very good read and it's message was, to me anyway, very powerful. It seems sleep is a very potent force for good in our bodies. Well worth a read - I've recommended it to my wife and my girls. The conclusion is below and indicates the scale of the claims it makes.

1578992638517.png

Attachments

• 1578992644219.png
    1578992644219.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I advocate Cyclechat 'nap' sessions between 2-3pm :hyper:

Del C

Veteran
For you readers out there, I recently read "Why We Sleep" by Matthew Walker. It was a very good read and it's message was, to me anyway, very powerful. It seems sleep is a very potent force for good in our bodies. Well worth a read - I've recommended it to my wife and my girls. The conclusion is below and indicates the scale of the claims it makes.

View attachment 500460
I certainly topped up my sleep after TdZ stage 1 and dinner last night!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

View attachment 500460
Just under 12 months ago my wife was having some serious complications that impacted our sleep - she was suffering from pressure problems just to not being able to turn over in bed, so I was having to get up 7-8 times a night to turn her over and move her position. This only went on for about 6 weeks, until the OT got my wife a special hospital bed that moves her during the night (kind of an air bed that constantly rolls her about). Within weeks the lack of sleep really caught up with us and we were like zombies - our health took a real beating. Once the new bed came, and the wife got used to it and we got back into a better sleeping pattern, the change to both is us was amazing.

I still have to get up 2-3 times a night but that is really manageable now. So yes, completely agree that sleep deprivation is not great for the health!

bridgy

Legendary Member
I’ve Finally got around to setting up my new toy...Tacx Neo 2. ^_^ I spent yesterday evening cleaning the chain and drive train and took a first spin this evening ...so far so good. I was previously set up on the bkool out in the garage but it seemed a shame to have this baby out there in the cold. Just need to remember to get the fan ready as the sweat was pouring even just with a short 20 minute test spin.
View attachment 500425
Awesome! And I can see why you're so fast on Zwift now - that bike looks very aero :okay:

mjd1988

Guru

View attachment 500460

Definitely giving this to our 7 month old:reading:

Sleep is so important though. More and more data coming out about the unhealthiness of shift work

bobinski

Legendary Member
Martin, that’s rather timely. Last few years or so I have struggled to get more than 5-6 hours sleep. In my job we often get disturbed during night when on duty too which doesn’t help. Lack of sleep really hits recovery. I have worked at getting more sleep, eating earlier, drinking rarely and only a little, going to bed early too, turning off phone notifications at 9 when not on duty and leaving phone downstairs when I go to bed. It’s really helped me and I am now asleep most nights from about 10pm though I wake from 5am. Still that’s a regular 7-8 hours and means I get up and out to work early. I feel much better for it.

Top Bottom