Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Lightweight, comfy, reasonably priced - pick two?!

Technically you can have all three. There’s loads of Chinese full carbon saddles for sale out there. They tend not to have any padding but I think if the saddle is the right shape it doesn’t matter. The padding on my saddles is just a if very thin layer of leather. It’d be worth posting the question on here, Bikeradar or weight weenies though as I dare say it’s a bit of a minefield. Alternatively is there a version of your current saddle that is higher up the range?

<Tommy>

Mate, I think those scales need recalibrating👍

Bonkers isn’t it

<Tommy>

I use the Specialized's new Romin Evo Pro carbon in a 168mm fitting ,weight 217g and find that very comfortable ( have one on the Zwifting bike also ) do they do Berk carbon saddle in a wider fitting @<Tommy> do you know

That’s pretty wide isn’t it. I’m not sure to be honest. It’s worth asking though. He does make custom stuff. You can email him and he’ll answer personally. He’s very helpful if not a little slow to respond at times.
Another advantage of going through him direct if you do choose a saddle is that he’ll colour match any colour you want and he can do other little personal touches.

<Tommy>

Maybe a little TLDR for some of you so feel free to ignore the waffle! 😄

carbon works computer mount 11grams. It’s a nice solution but it’s much better suited in length to the elemnt roam. It’s too long for the bolt I think and can’t be adjusted. But the developer has said he’s going to start making made to measure mounts on request so that might be an option later. I really like the size of the roam screen but it’s much heavier than the elemnt bolt so maybe not so good going up
steep hills in France!

F3 Computer mount 41grams.

This is a really nice computer mount to be fair and I’d highly recommend it. I’ll still keep one on my other summer bike. You can adjust the length to suit the computer size and it’s very solidly made. But 30 grams is 30 grams so it’s got to go!

Zipp SL Speed carbon stem 120mm and 128g.

Can’t fault this stem at all. Again, I’ll still use one on my other bike. People say carbon stems dampen the road buzz better than aluminium ones. I have to say I’m not sure I notice the difference and they’re a hell of a lot more expensive. But if people can notice then fair play. I just like it because it feeds my carbon addiction 😄

THM Tibia stem. 120mm and 93grams!

I hope it suits the bike. It’s very square which I like and the weight is crazy.

Zipp SL70 aero bars 42mm wide and 236g.

Really really comfy bars. Again I’m always a bit sceptical about aero claims. I’m sure these bars save a couple of watts but I’m 6’3 and change so basically about as aero as a brick! But these bars are so comfy it’s unreal. Anyone who has aero bars knows that flat top bars are great to rest your hands on. Especially on long days in the saddle.

THM Ulna bars 42mm and 156grams. Enough said! 😁.

The first set of these bars they sent me were actually 8 grams heavier. I sent them back and it took a while but after about 6 weeks or so they produced a bar within the correct tolerance. Not tried them yet but they look to have a small but nice flare on the drops and the tops are oversized so they should be comfy. As much as I like aero bars I also really like more classic looking bars and they’re probably better suited to my frame which isn’t aero.

So the grand weight loss total for today instalment is.... 145 grams :cheers:

Hopefully tomorrow I move on to the drivetrain if I can make some time.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
So where do you think you come
Enthusiast, Amateur, or Pro ?
A little test to make most, if not all of us feel, well :whistle:

Set those Neos to ERG :biggrin:

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.co...our-record-pace-non-cyclist-vs-amateur-vs-pro
Did a sub 2 w/kg spin today around the wild west of watopia and through the dinosaur area. On way back we hit the sprint section and I had a little blast before quitting the ride. I averaged 475 watts over 40 seconds. I probably could have held on a bit longer but we'd gone through the sprint banner and the fence was in place so had to stop pedaling else be kicked out the ride.

I'll have another go in ERG mode and see if I can last a whole minute at 440 watts. I'm pretty sure Wiggo's distance is safe though :laugh:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

View attachment 502005
carbon works computer mount 11grams. It’s a nice solution but it’s much better suited in length to the elemnt roam. It’s too long for the bolt I think and can’t be adjusted. But the developer has said he’s going to start making made to measure mounts on request so that might be an option later. I really like the size of the roam screen but it’s much heavier than the elemnt bolt so maybe not so good going up
steep hills in France!
View attachment 502008

This is a really nice computer mount to be fair and I’d highly recommend it. I’ll still keep one on my other summer bike. You can adjust the length to suit the computer size and it’s very solidly made. But 30 grams is 30 grams so it’s got to go!

View attachment 502007

Can’t fault this stem at all. Again, I’ll still use one on my other bike. People say carbon stems dampen the road buzz better than aluminium ones. I have to say I’m not sure I notice the difference and they’re a hell of a lot more expensive. But if people can notice then fair play. I just like it because it feeds my carbon addiction 😄

View attachment 502009

I hope it suits the bike. It’s very square which I like and the weight is crazy.
View attachment 502006

Really really comfy bars. Again I’m always a bit sceptical about aero claims. I’m sure these bars save a couple of watts but I’m 6’3 and change so basically about as aero as a brick! But these bars are so comfy it’s unreal. Anyone who has aero bars knows that flat top bars are great to rest your hands on. Especially on long days in the saddle.
View attachment 502010

The first set of these bars they sent me were actually 8 grams heavier. I sent them back and it took a while but after about 6 weeks or so they produced a bar within the correct tolerance. Not tried them yet but they look to have a small but nice flare on the drops and the tops are oversized so they should be comfy. As much as I like aero bars I also really like more classic looking bars and they’re probably better suited to my frame which isn’t aero.

I lose more than that in the mornings ... and I only need to spend a penny :biggrin:

<Tommy>

I lose more than that in the mornings ... and I only need to spend a penny :biggrin:

Surprised you’ve never mentioned it ;)

View attachment 502005
steep hills in France!
View attachment 502008

View attachment 502007

View attachment 502009

View attachment 502006

View attachment 502010

Shoes? Helmet? Water bottle holder?

JuhaL

Guru
Nice upgrades Tommy have. I have old ITM K-Sword handlebar and stem combination in my garage. Don't know am i gonna use them ever again. It's a most comfortable handlebar i have ever had but i'm a bit lazy to do reassembles these days anymore. I also read that it's a challenge to install modern shifters and wires that handlebar.

bridgy

Legendary Member

View attachment 502005
steep hills in France!
View attachment 502008

View attachment 502007

View attachment 502009

View attachment 502006

View attachment 502010

So if you're taking the bolt to Ventoux, what mount are you using? (bit confused now!)

bridgy

Legendary Member
Technically you can have all three. There’s loads of Chinese full carbon saddles for sale out there. They tend not to have any padding but I think if the saddle is the right shape it doesn’t matter. The padding on my saddles is just a if very thin layer of leather. It’d be worth posting the question on here, Bikeradar or weight weenies though as I dare say it’s a bit of a minefield. Alternatively is there a version of your current saddle that is higher up the range?
Currently have Fizik Antares which I do find pretty comfortable - Fizik saddles are really pricey once you get to the top of the range though

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
There's an added variable of the drafting group you end up in with these TDZ rides which can also ake a big difference - you may have been a bit unlucky in that respect on stage 3 for some reason?

the event I had around 330 riders on the start line which I think was much smaller than the earlier dates.
By the time my race had got to the jungle I was in a group of 4 or 5 riders which spilt - I dropped to do the bike swap onto the MTB, then powered passed them and gained around 15 seconds leaving the jungle but they caught me dropping down off the KOM descent. We faffed about just marking each other for minor places so probably lost time there although I was busted anyway.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
With reference to my earlier post.
Question:
Have you had a bike fit and if so was it worth doing and did you experience any significant changes.
I’ve never had a bike fit done so can’t say. I’ve always just done my own set up. My TT position isn’t good at the moment so I’ve bought new bars with the spacers under the elbow pads and got one of those saddles with the nose cut off.
502070 502071
not the best angles / photos but my knees are almost hitting my elbows and I’m sitting on the end of the saddle. The new handle bars will lift my elbows up a bit and whilst I’ll not be as low I m hoping the position will be more comfortable and safer.

Top Bottom