Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
yeah I’m enjoying it Tommy. I’m contemplating building a rocker plate using the style that @CXRAndy shared but I can imagine that will be a job for the summer months as I’ve a list of DIY jobs as long as yer arm having move house recently.

Im using the Neo as my power source now for Zwift. I’ve dual recorded the last couple of rides now so I plan some analysis to compare against the Assioma pedals but early rides it was 3 to 4 % lower. I’ve oiled the chain late last week - prior to that i had given the drivetrain a deep clean but hadn’t got round to lubing it - so today’s Bologna event will be my comparator. Some drivertrain loss would be expected but I didn’t think it would be as much as 4% especially when you see DC Rainmaker or GP lama test rides but ho hum.

Whatever the result the Neo will be my power source for Zwift as that only seems fairer...I’ve read quite a lot of people still use their crank or pedal based PM whilst riding their Neo just because the Neo is a bit lower and they don’t like the fact. The Zwift race team Fusion for example enforce dual recording for their race events but if you look at most of their riders they race on neos but have their PM as the power source. Ultimately it would be good for Zwift to level the playing field by applying a requirement for riders to inform what trainer they are using and what power meter is being used and then for Zwift to apply a fudge factor into their speed calculation based on known accuracy of power source.
Remember the Bkool leagues where it would show what trainer each person was using? Zwift must have the same data and I've always thought it would at least be a start if this info was displayed on ZP results. That info on bkool could sometimes really highlight issues with a particular type of trainer that wouldn't otherwise have been obvious. You could also see how your results compared with people on the same trainer as you.

As the data is there, and they show so much other info it's a shame it isn't displayed I think

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Remember the Bkool leagues where it would show what trainer each person was using? Zwift must have the same data and I've always thought it would at least be a start if this info was displayed on ZP results. That info on bkool could sometimes really highlight issues with a particular type of trainer that wouldn't otherwise have been obvious. You could also see how your results compared with people on the same trainer as you.

As the data is there, and they show so much other info it's a shame it isn't displayed I think

Even amongst neo’s I think the accuracy isn’t so great either. Not if Facebook chatter is to be believed. I think the assioma pedals are probably more accurate? 🤷‍♂️. I liked using my power meter because you can see yourself accelerate as soon as you apply to the power. But the neo is fine too and it’s nice lots of us have the same thing.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

There has been a bit of chatter again on FB and the Zwift forum regarding the 'sawtooth'/on/off ANT+ bug. They're picking up riders using the bug to cheat in races. Not specific to smart trainers; in fact, the argument is it's more prevalent on PMs but this may be because PM users tend to be more experienced racers and hence are more likely to know all the tricks.

mjd1988

Guru
The little un' is in her third week of a cold so might not get stage 4 done today.

Interesting chat about the neo as I always had it pegged as very v accurate going by dcrainmaker etc. As someone without a powermeter and a wheel on turbo I do wonder a bit how off my power actually is - must do a wattbike FTP test at some point soon at the gym to see how it compares, but I imagine it could be way off

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
The little un' is in her third week of a cold so might not get stage 4 done today.

Interesting chat about the neo as I always had it pegged as very v accurate going by dcrainmaker etc. As someone without a powermeter and a wheel on turbo I do wonder a bit how off my power actually is - must do a wattbike FTP test at some point soon at the gym to see how it compares, but I imagine it could be way off
Many of us on here used to have the Bkool wheel on trainer. When I first came across from Bkool to Zwift to ride I was a God :training: When I switched to Kickr, then NEO2, my power dropped about 30-40 watts in Zwift. On Bkool, I managed to ride 30 mins at average 300 watts :eek: Bkool was very generous :rofl: People do say that the NEO2 reads low, and maybe it does, but I think it's better to read a little low than too high.

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
I use an entry level wheel on trainer and have briefly considered upgrading but I’m waiting for now. Unless my current trainer fails I want to wait and see how things turn out in the trainer market. Zwift started up a hardware division a few months back so I want to see what happens with that. I’d like to think that my next trainer will last at least five years but the market could be considerably different in two years time so might feel somewhat left behind!

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I use an entry level wheel on trainer and have briefly considered upgrading but I’m waiting for now. Unless my current trainer fails I want to wait and see how things turn out in the trainer market. Zwift started up a hardware division a few months back so I want to see what happens with that. I’d like to think that my next trainer will last at least five years but the market could be considerably different in two years time so might feel somewhat left behind!
I think I heard on the Rainmaker/Llama podcast that Stages have dropped the price of their power meter quite drastically so that could well influence the market very soon.

mjd1988

Guru
Many of us on here used to have the Bkool wheel on trainer. When I first came across from Bkool to Zwift to ride I was a God :training: When I switched to Kickr, the NEO2, my power dropped about 30-40 watts in Zwift. On Bkool, I managed to ride 30 mins at average 300 watts :eek: Bkool was very generous :rofl: People do say that the NEO2 reads low, and maybe it does, but I think it's better to read a little low than too high.

I'm hoping the kickr snap isn't as dramatically off as the bkool units as I can't afford to lose 40 watts! It is a bit sketchy though especially before I started making sure the tyres were fully inflated.

mjd1988

Guru
I think I heard on the Rainmaker/Llama podcast that Stages have dropped the price of their power meter quite drastically so that could well influence the market very soon.

That is excellent news. Just can't justify a pm at current prices given how rarely I go outside to ride. I imagine the manufacturing cost per unit leaves them with a wide profit margin once they've recouped development costs, so could go a fair bit lower

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Many of us on here used to have the Bkool wheel on trainer. When I first came across from Bkool to Zwift to ride I was a God :training: When I switched to Kickr, the NEO2, my power dropped about 30-40 watts in Zwift. On Bkool, I managed to ride 30 mins at average 300 watts :eek: Bkool was very generous :rofl: People do say that the NEO2 reads low, and maybe it does, but I think it's better to read a little low than too high.
I was the exact same although I only raced a couple of time in Zwift - for some reason the Bkool power in a Zwift race was even further exaggerated as I could hold over 420w with HR in zone 3. On Bkool my FTP was around 390w from memory. I remember flying up Alpe dhuez on the Bkool as fast as the pros The assiomas FTP test came in at 339w and a test on a Wattbike surprisingly came in the exact same. My most recent FTP Test result - a ramp test - was 331w.
@Whorty I’ll give the hour record a go at 440w in ERG mode a crack during the week just to see. I’d be happy to get to 5 minutes.

Top Bottom